Forums

Help › Forums

Master Ping Irons & Hybrid Chatter

rated by 0 users
Thu, Jun 24 2010 6:48 AM (30 replies)
  • gfsullivan
    196 Posts
    Tue, Jun 22 2010 5:31 PM

Ill be sure to update on the process (with WTFs). Going to wait until after the opens though.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Tue, Jun 22 2010 5:48 PM

TheAceFactor:
    lets say 202 out on Andrew's # 17 in a 50-60 fescue

There's heroics and there's reality. Iron to the fairway, dart to a difficult green, par save. Playing with long irons and no fairway wood concedes eagle tries in favor of solid birdies or par saves from the garbage. JMO, it works for me.

You have game, Ace. It just shows how different approaches can manage a course. Just think,  if Tom Watson had  played it my way.....   ;-)

• TheAceFactor
    2,147 Posts
    Tue, Jun 22 2010 6:13 PM

YankeeJim:
    It just shows how different approaches can manage a course.
    Yes , so true...I'm just saying , there have been so many situations when I really needed to get down the fairway and a wedge out just would not cut it...When used correctly , it being referred to as a rescue is an understatement. Not talking heroics , I'm talkin' par saves as well. If at sometime I could drop my 3 iron , you'd  see a 3'rd wedge in my bag too. 

• SuperDriver
    6 Posts
    Tue, Jun 22 2010 6:54 PM

What is your average have to be to turn master?

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Tue, Jun 22 2010 7:21 PM

YankeeJim:
    Playing with long irons and no fairway wood concedes eagle tries in favor of solid birdies or par saves from the garbage. JMO, it works for me.

Very, somewhat, true. Have you ever noticed at Andy's, if you club down with 4 wedges, the wind is always against on the 5 par holes, but if you carry the 3 wood they are always down wind and can be reached with less than a 3 iron? Can't win.

• BolloxInBruges
    1,389 Posts
    Tue, Jun 22 2010 7:38 PM

I don't think dropping 3w is the best option for any of the 4 18 hole courses.  You could argue against it on a couple individual 9's.   It's not just for making eagles,  it's the prudent play on some tee shots, and my go-to club for advancing the ball the furthest from 30/40 and 40/50 rough.

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Tue, Jun 22 2010 8:16 PM

It is true. Although the 4-wedge idea adds a certain confidence, the times I have tried it, I have found that a couple of the wedges never came into play and yet left me wanting on a couple of shots for a 3 wood or a hybrid. Good advice Big B.

• claremoreblue
    2,322 Posts
    Tue, Jun 22 2010 9:17 PM

I don't own a HB, always have a 3W. 

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Wed, Jun 23 2010 4:41 AM

Not carrying a 3W is not for everybody. I have one and an HB to go with it but can't, for the life of me, justify what I lose on the bottom end for one, maybe 2, shots a round. Again, this is just me and the way I play. It did get me in the door at Oakmont.  :-)

• BolloxInBruges
    1,389 Posts
    Wed, Jun 23 2010 4:55 AM

What exactly are you losing at the bottom end?

There is rarely ever a time that i say to myself "boy if only i had my _____  wedge with me".  There is almost always some shot I can use to get it close from the hole from inside of 100 yards.  The same cannot be said from 210+ yards.  Fwiw, i've had a gap from 90 - 115 yards for the last 5 months, and havent seen my results suffer too much.

edit - I see you are still using taylor made irons for some reason.  That makes it somewhat more reasonable to use 4 wedges.  I cannot for the life of me figure out why you'd use those irons though still.  They are simply inferior, not a matter of personal preference.  You will refute saying 'g10s get blown around in the wind'  well guess what, don't use full backspin you can manipulate the exact same trajectory as the TM's, with more precision.

Bottom line is G10 irons effectively give you 9.5 clubs vs 9 with the taylor mades, the 115-210 yards spread instead of 122-210 just gives you 7 more yards that you don't need to cover with additional wedges.

RSS