Forums

Help › Forums

What happened to my G10's?

rated by 0 users
Wed, Jun 23 2010 12:10 PM (31 replies)
  • mefitz
    372 Posts
    Thu, Jun 10 2010 10:49 AM

Is this a test? (lol). I would have set the aim halfway between the pin and right edge of the green taking the wind and Slope into account, and my 4i (accounting for elevation) with half bs. I`ve also been playing around with this hole using Alot of different approaches. In general, it`s more forgiving than it appears.

I`ve used my 5i, no spin, and am usually a few yards from the hole with a neutral or helping wind . If the wind is against, I use the 4 or 3 irons with varying degrees of bs. I also used to over-adjust for the slope but have found that I can "go for it" right at the hole with good results (inside 10ft.) unless I want to "use" the slope (and wind) to my advantage, which is what I`d have done with your shot above.

PS- check out my HIO on this hole (and my Almost HIO right after it on #8). The "precision gods" were with me that day ;).

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Thu, Jun 10 2010 12:14 PM

I mistakenly said the 3i-it was the 4i (200 yd). Your aim reference was what I was looking for because I didn't think 7 mph would move a long iron that much. That was my mistake because apparently it does. 

Heh-I was trying to hit that line your HIO took!

Tx

• mefitz
    372 Posts
    Thu, Jun 10 2010 12:35 PM

You also have to account for the amount of bs(loft) that will affect the flight, more or less, which I`m sure you know, but I frequently forget to do :). That was probably the difference right there. I used half bs on that shot, so I got less wind affect (and a LOT of luck of coarse!).

Cheers

• VanHalenLover
    1,422 Posts
    Thu, Jun 10 2010 1:20 PM

YJ,

That is about the setup I would have done IF I were planning on a light mishit to the upwind side of the meter - were I planning for a direct 'ding', I would have started further right.

Trying my best not to beat a dead or dieing horse, but this is exactly the dilemma I wish we were not put under. This one specifically is my biggest pet peeve. I don't think 7mph would trigger it, but when the wind is stiff enough (generally 12mph+) and you 'ding' it, there are times it automatically start off to the downwind side, seemingly, no matter how much your aim marker tries to account for the wind. I do not notice it at all when the wind is lower or at a lesser angle. In this situation, I would much prefer the launch angle not be affected with a 'ding' - but hey, it isn't my game, lol.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Thu, Jun 10 2010 2:32 PM

VanHalenLover:
    there are times it automatically start off to the downwind side, seemingly, no matter how much your aim marker tries to account for the wind.

This is the exact reason I brought this up with that picture. When I hit that shot, and I dinged it, the ball took off straight at the pin and then started turning left. I was surprised because of where I aimed it. The shot didn't even consider starting at my aim.

My first thought was typical-I got "whatevered." So I take the opportunity to study the replay from all the angles to see if there was a practical reason for it. Having found none I took it to the forum here and lo and behold, it turns out everything was ok, I just did it wrong. Not enough aim (2 said that) and back spin affects the higher trajectory iron shots more than I thought. 

Coming on the heels of that great explanation by WGTNiv I am certain 99% of those claims of "foul" could probably be explained away like this. I saw what you pointed out firsthand and learned it was user error, not a game deficiency. 

• chipshotcharlie
    538 Posts
    Thu, Jun 10 2010 3:52 PM

Go back to when St Andy`s front 9 was launched and there is a similar post. My point is i think it will settle down but i do agree its happening.

CSC

• VanHalenLover
    1,422 Posts
    Thu, Jun 10 2010 4:01 PM

YJ,

Again, I understand the point you are making, but my deviations are way above and beyond this shot adjustment aspect. For instance, and this is only 1 example...... The comment I made above, about me aiming further right if I was looking for a 'dinged' shot, has recently produced results that were well left of the green after dinging it, even if my aim was well off the right side of the green to start. These normal deviations I well aware of and plan for, and have become expected - but seriously, since Oaky went in, something is amiss.....

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Thu, Jun 10 2010 4:03 PM

Heh-went all-in on that last post. I fold.................

• VanHalenLover
    1,422 Posts
    Thu, Jun 10 2010 4:15 PM

omg YJ, too funny, lol. I'm mucking this hand, but I promise it wasn't a bluff, lol - If I get to to fold again, I just might show my cards.......

• jeffdos924
    1,085 Posts
    Thu, Jun 10 2010 4:55 PM

Myself .... I haven't noticed any difference in my G10's or in overall gameplay that can't be attributed to my own erratic timing. Dinged shots seem to all go pretty much where I expect them to go, other than the occasional shot that comes up almost ridiculously short .... but THAT'S been happening for a long, long time.

RSS