Help › Forums

Not just another topic on what clubs to choose

rated by 0 users
Thu, Apr 11 2013 3:40 AM (30 replies)
  • PUHOLINO
    1,189 Posts
    Thu, Dec 13 2012 1:42 PM

Yeah, what Chris said.

Or just buy the L59 G20s if you can't wait for L79, they perform really good and are not that difficult to score with even from the tips, combined with the L81 driver. However, don't touch the rocketballz, they're my only purchase I really regret. That 105 PW sounded tempting, but the trajectory of the longer irons is just too low for the ball to stick.

L83 G20 irons should however be useless now, they're in no way worth the price difference between them and the L59s, I rented them during the free weekend just to see the difference and I must say I like the lower level ones better (maybe I'm just used to them more). Bought the R11s though, they're great toys.

But you defenitely need to upgrade your wedges.

Here's a few sets that could work (all with either L58 or L81 G20 driver):

L59 G20 irons + 3w + 93, 75, 60y wedges or lose the 3w and go for L40-ish Ping wedges, 100, 85, 75 and 60y. And when you get to legend tees, you'll level up enough to get the L78 CG wedge and make your set a 3w + 100, 80, 60y wedges.

L79 Bladez + 3w + 100, 80, 60y wedges or no 3w (you won'r really need it with a 220y 3i) and lower level CG wedges (105, 90, 75, 60y) (less math needed = better scores).

Good luck with whatever you decide to buy.

• alanti
    10,564 Posts
    Thu, Dec 13 2012 1:55 PM

chris5214:

perhaps a possibility to consider .. the Bladez (what used to be Burner 2.0) irons are little less expensive than G20's & available at lvl79 .. 

mtr slightly faster than G20 mtr, but they are longer & more accurate than G20's and produce a lot more spin than G20's could ever hope for .. 

I agree with Chris, the Bladez are a little cheaper and the attributes are better than the G20s. I still use the G20 irons and only recently changed the G20 driver (so the G20s will take you to legend). Only negative is the faster meter speed.The spin is paramount to scoring well from the longer legend approaches so to me the bladez look a better bet.

The other possible change could be the wedges. Consider the mid level 70s Cleveland Wedges, cheaper than the ATVs and have better spin (you will need  to learn how to tame the spin).

I havent used the Daytona putter but personally I recommend the Nike Method lvl77. Has a slower meter. is more forgiving and has better balance. Downside is price but this is one club I cannot see that I will ever change

More food for thought anyway!

• alanti
    10,564 Posts
    Thu, Dec 13 2012 2:07 PM

PUHOLINO:
    Bought the R11s though, they're great toys

And you have to rub that in lol!!!!!

I am finally about 20 days away from them and having read all the praise about the r11 irons will just bite the bullet and buy them. Just a little worried about the meter speed but your only young once...............pity that was so long ago.

• Rockitch
    1,022 Posts
    Thu, Dec 13 2012 11:47 PM

Thanks for the input all.

chris5214:

perhaps a possibility to consider .. the Bladez (what used to be Burner 2.0) irons are little less expensive than G20's & available at lvl79 .. 

mtr slightly faster than G20 mtr, but they are longer & more accurate than G20's and produce a lot more spin than G20's could ever hope for .. 

Does this still apply if you take into consideration I plan to mainly play the free ball? I think (now, without having tried any of 'm) I will get better scores with the G20's, because of their higher forgiveness and added to that they are slower and fit right in to the rest of the planned equipment with all the same (slower) meter. On my current tour pro set, which is as fast as the bladez, I have a hard time hitting ding.

PUHOLINO:
    Or just buy the L59 G20s if you can't wait for L79, they perform really good and are not that difficult to score with even from the tips, combined with the L81 driver....

L83 G20 irons should however be useless now, they're in no way worth the price difference between them and the L59s, I rented them during the free weekend just to see the difference and I must say I like the lower level ones better (maybe I'm just used to them more)....

But you defenitely need to upgrade your wedges.

Thanks for the input Puholino, but you might wanna read the topic again. All I can say to respond has already been said. Sorry if this comes across a bit rude, not intended that way.

alanti:

I agree with Chris, the Bladez are a little cheaper and the attributes are better than the G20s....

Same question as before: This goes still knowing I play the free ball and miss ding ?

alanti:

The other possible change could be the wedges. Consider the mid level 70s Cleveland Wedges, cheaper than the ATVs and have better spin (you will need  to learn how to tame the spin).

Same question as before: This goes still knowing I play the free ball and miss ding ?

alanti:

I havent used the Daytona putter but personally I recommend the Nike Method lvl77. Has a slower meter. is more forgiving and has better balance. Downside is price but this is one club I cannot see that I will ever change

The nike method lvl77 is optional. It depends on if I'd like to bring the meterspeed further down compared to the Daytona.

Regards,

R.

• Rockitch
    1,022 Posts
    Sat, Dec 29 2012 1:26 AM

Until now I was going for the PING setup  with the Taylormade ATV wedges with all meter speed 2. R11 irons are out of the question because of their meter speed and there wasn't really a valid alternative besides the PING's, until we got them rocketbladez.

Now I reached level 76 the Cleveland wedges are becoming available, and I hear they are better than the Taylormade ATV wedges. The new rocketbladez irons have the same meter speed (2,5 blocks) and the best driver (TM R11S 9.0 Driver (L94+)) has the exact same meter speed, so I am considering to go for a complete meter speed 2,5 setup (except putter). That is the exact same speed as my current set and without getting metered I can (sort of) handle that speed by now.

The setup I am currently aiming for would look something like this then:

TM R11S 9.0 Driver (L94+) 2,5 284 2,495C
    TM R11S 3 Wood (L95+) 2,5 240 995C

TM RocketBladez Irons (L79+) 2,5 125-220 2,595C
    CL CG16 52° Wedge (L74+) 2,5 115 NO 3WD
    CL CG16 56° Wedge (L76+) 2,5 100 895C
    CL CG16 60° Wedge (L78+) 2,5 80 895C
    CL CG16 64° Wedge (L80+) 2,5 60 895C

Now, you may notice there is a 4th wedge and a 3wd. I can't have 'm both by for example dropping the PW from the Iron set (if I understand things correctly), so the question is:

From what do you gain more benefit, the 3WD or the 115 yard wedge ?

R.

• alosso
    21,042 Posts
    Sat, Dec 29 2012 2:22 AM

All four wedges give gaps of 20 - 20 - 15 - 10, starting with the shortest, which is quite narrow, thinking of the additional punch distances.

Thinking of a 3 wedges setting,

the 52° brings the gaps to 20 - 35 - 10

the 56° results in 20 - 20 - 25

The latter seems better but the punch distances might change it.

I think it's unfavourable to drop both 3WD and hybrid. In my set, it would leave a big gap between Driver (280 full / 245 punch) and 3I (215 yds). Even with the 3WD (240/225) I'm missing something sometimes.

Plus, a punch has quite different characteristics to a full shot.

• Rockitch
    1,022 Posts
    Sat, Dec 29 2012 6:34 AM

Hi Alosso,

I see you play the high level PING set I was originally aiming for. Do (or did) you ever play it with the free ball and if so, what can you tell me of the stopping power of especially the irons ? Is full backspin enough to stop even the 3 Iron ? Even on elevated greens ?

R.

PS Anyone else who plays or played the high level ping g20's with the free ball... feel free to answer as well.

• alosso
    21,042 Posts
    Sat, Dec 29 2012 6:41 AM

I don't play the Starter Ball too much with it, mostly in CTTHs. From there I can tell that you must allow for some roll, and this applies to my regular ball, too, which is the Tour SD.

• muttsnutts69
    283 Posts
    Sat, Dec 29 2012 4:47 PM

I think it's fair to say there is no club and ball combination that can stop a ball dead to an elevated green for anything longer than 165 yards.

So the answer to your free ball question is self evident.

• Rockitch
    1,022 Posts
    Sun, Dec 30 2012 1:26 AM

Thx Alosso and muttsnutts. Not yet having played the better clubs I don't exactly know what to expect from them. The choice I have to make now is:

A) Go with the setup with slower meter speed (PING Irons + ATV wedges) and have less spin (so less stopping power); or

B) Go with the setup with faster meter speed (Bladez Irons + Cleveland wedges) and have more spin (so more stopping power)

I just suppose (I know that can be dangerous) that higher spin clubs give higher spin, on the free ball as well, be it less than on a higher spin ball..... or is the free ball total spin-less ? (No matter what clubs you hit 'm with)

R.

RSS