Forums

Help › Forums

Changes to the FAQ - Averages/Tier

Thu, Jan 3 2013 3:32 PM (131 replies)
  • WGTpizza
    1,656 Posts
    Fri, Oct 26 2012 2:37 PM

Greetings Golfers!

There have been a lot of spirited discussions lately concerning the new Anti-Sandbagging feature and its effect on the community. I would like to thank everyone for expressing their opinions and concerns about the feature in a calm and collected manner. Because the feedback you gave was so classy, WGT is able to understand the sentiment of the community much faster and that's a win for everyone :)

I sat down with the Director of Product Management who is in charge of this feature and he helped me understand some key changes recently made.

The exact details of the feature are not public in order to prevent manipulation, but there are several nuances that I have recently learned that I would like to share with you all:

This feature has changed how players earn their Average/Tier in two ways:

1) If a player beats another player of a higher tier, in Match Play game mode, their average will go down.

2) If a player is found to be consistently displaying skill levels of a higher tier, this new feature will increase the rate at which they will advance to the next tier.

To recap -  If you win against a player of a higher tier in a Match Play game, your average will go down. If you consistently out-perform your current tier in tournaments, you will move up to the next tier.

This new feature, like all others, will be under heavy monitoring and scrutiny until WGT feels it is accomplishing the goal of deterring sandbagging at a minimal impact to our community. We will be updating the FAQ to reflect these changes in the near future.

Stay classy,

-WGTpizza

• gbarto
    141 Posts
    Fri, Oct 26 2012 3:34 PM

So what happens if i'm a tour master for example and I have a legend friend and we make a deal so he purposely loses to me??  my avg. would still go down? This I think is one of the main gripes about the new system, just hope there is something in the program/feature to prevent this but dont see how that would be possible.

• WGTpizza
    1,656 Posts
    Fri, Oct 26 2012 3:38 PM

gbarto:
    So what happens if i'm a tour master for example and I have a legend friend and we make a deal so he purposely loses to me??  my avg. would still go down?

Yes, this is correct. If you are playing a Match Play game and you win against a higher tier player, your average will go down.

Stay classy,

-WGTpizza

• opyeuclid
    6,706 Posts
    Fri, Oct 26 2012 3:53 PM

This is a great thing . Thank you World Golf Tour.

OPY

• riskplayer
    253 Posts
    Fri, Oct 26 2012 7:48 PM

This IS a great thing, but should ONLY be used in challenge games and tournaments. NOT in friendly games.

• pjctas0822
    4,550 Posts
    Fri, Oct 26 2012 8:34 PM

Its better than what you guys were doing before to prevent sandbagging. Which wasn't much. At least now if someone is so desperate to get a status quo of Legend or higher they could have a Legend or TL forfeit for them :) . At least they can't sandbag right :)

Always be careful what you wish for because you just might get it.

I think it is an OBAMA move in the right direction unlike ROMNEY.

• courteneyfish
    15,796 Posts
    Fri, Oct 26 2012 8:44 PM

riskplayer:

This IS a great thing, but should ONLY be used in challenge games and tournaments. NOT in friendly games.

Then play friendly games in practice mode. 

• alanti
    10,564 Posts
    Fri, Oct 26 2012 9:25 PM

Firstly, I think the moves implemented were sensible steps to try and combat this issue. I am also pleased closer scrutiny will occur - a starting point may be from certain players highlighted in the Community Spotlight.

WGTpizza:
     This new feature, like all others, will be under heavy monitoring and scrutiny until WGT feels it is accomplishing the goal of deterring sandbagging at a minimal impact to our community

In relation to the part I used from your post, would it not be prudent to use a selected forum focus group as in the thread below. Your views would be appreciated.

http://www.wgt.com/forums/p/134089/888950.aspx#888950

Alan

• srellim234
    2,077 Posts
    Sat, Oct 27 2012 7:38 AM

Not knowing the details is fine, Pizza, but please ensure that it does not penalize players by only considering wins and not losses. A person who is 10-50 against a Legend is not the same skill of a player who is 10-0 yet still has 10 wins. Winning % against each tier should be considered. I know you used the word "consistently" beating but "consistently" shouldn't be just a number in the win column.

Likewise, an adjustment to the stroke play computation of average should take place in your formulas. It deserves a "statute of limitations", something along the lines of two years, to allow for age or advancing disabilities causing a decline in skill. For a recreational player mired in a particular level a good round from years ago shouldn't factor as part of his current ability and be a basis for "tiering up". Not considering very old scores would also allow a long time member to drop a tier if they simply can not be competitive at the higher tier any more.

I do not expect you to actually confirm or deny if these points are actually being used in the formulas as they rightfully MUST remain confidential. I do believe they are worth considering if you haven't done so already.

RSS