Forums

Help › Forums

St. Andrews: Out-of-bounds area seems too close to fairway

Sat, Jul 30 2011 9:40 AM (26 replies)
  • rustan
    66 Posts
    Tue, Jun 8 2010 7:03 PM

Why are we playing the 17th at 515yrds when the true card shows 490 Or can someone tell me how the hell they get on for 2 either answer will do

Frustrated!!!

• Soulcatcher
    1,970 Posts
    Wed, Jun 9 2010 4:55 AM

rustan:

Why are we playing the 17th at 515yrds when the true card shows 490 Or can someone tell me how the hell they get on for 2 either answer will do

Frustrated!!!

They built new tees at SA for this years open. There has been much discussion about this IRL as the consensus seems to be that this was the one hole that did not need to be toughened up.

*edit      I was just looking at my Golf Digest. It is listed at 495. These yardages are from the set tee blocks to the middle of the green. So if the tee is set back a bit and we know the flag is in the back left, it will lengthen the hole. I have one par four at my course where your second shot can change by 3 clubs depending where the flag is on any given day.

As for getting on in two, that has more to do with the wind than anything. I have found that if the wind is not in your favour, laying up works well. If you place your shot short and slightly left of the pin there is a flat spot there that will leave you a very make-able 5-8 foot putt.

As we all know the very front of that green should be avoided at all costs.

Happy hitting

• rustan
    66 Posts
    Wed, Jun 9 2010 4:42 PM

Thanks for the tip mate.

• dorkfeatures
    712 Posts
    Wed, Jun 9 2010 6:24 PM

Hi Rustan,

I birdied the hole the other day :-) Got a bit lucky on the tee shot and made the most of it.

The second shot I ran up from the front of the green. You need to drop your second shot on the front of the green (around the middle area), and if you have the right pace on it the ball will actually feed in towards the pin as you pass the left hand trap. Dont go to near that trap mind you, or it will kick your ball away to the right, however if you stay out to the right a bit more (say between the bunker and the far side of the green) - the ball will actually feed in towards the pin as it slows. Its all about pace.

I got my second to about 12ft, and sank the birdie putt.

I haven't done it since mind you lol, and bogeyed it plenty of times.

If you miss the green - best spot is to be 12yds past the pin just off the green. Practice that little chip and it will save you a bogey. Better long than anywhere else, unless you lay up - then you can maybe go for the pin.

If the wind is from the left then again try to land your ball front edge of green, a bit more difficult obviously but it does work.

The shot like many now, is all about precision and pace.

Hope that helps.

Cheers

Doug

• KarrinyupKid
    98 Posts
    Thu, Jun 10 2010 6:02 AM

At the 17th at St Andrews I was surprised when I lost my new ball OB when it trickled over the road to the grass before the wall at the back of the green - that area in real life is not OB (certainly in the past) as players sometimes hit a shot into the wall and back onto the green. The quadruple bogey upset my generally good round ;-)

I love the challenge but there must be accuracy in relation to such things by the programmers.

• Azpaz
    119 Posts
    Fri, Feb 25 2011 4:40 AM

Hi,

I have just finished playing week 9 multiround at pro level. Came to the 14th feeling good at -2 and played my second to the left fairway as usual. Hit it slightly too hard but no worrys,I thought,no chance of it rolling into the rough. Then "Out of bounds" you tell me. I finished the hole with a double and the round -1. The leader of the tournament was at -3 so,you can imagine my annoyance at being wrongly penalised! I found your post from a year ago and clearly nothing has been done about this yet. I have read and understood your points on map size etc, but still feel harshly treated for a perfectly legal shot. Are there any plans to fix this?

I love this game and overall think you do a difficult job very well but,in this case I feel you have made a mistake and something should be done to correct it.  

Thanks for your attention, 

• pdxpack
    75 Posts
    Sat, Jul 30 2011 9:40 AM

I agree - the hole info says the second shot can be played into the fifth fairway and the picture shows a MUCH bigger portion of that fairway. Either change the picture on the hole info to match the OB during the game or better mark it for the game. Here is a shot being swallowed by the fairway.   http://wgt.com/replay.aspx?ID=04240075-2c20-4cb4-9556-9f3001126413

RSS