Forums

Help › Forums

St. Andrews: Out-of-bounds area seems too close to fairway

Sat, Jul 30 2011 9:40 AM (26 replies)
  • neildiamond11790
    1,115 Posts
    Mon, May 17 2010 1:08 PM

nivlac, whats most surprising about the picture you showed is the part that said E through the 14th?  Too much monitoring and not enough play?

Just kidding.

• jimgriff
    127 Posts
    Thu, May 20 2010 9:21 PM

Okay, one more observation and I'm out of here:  in the hole description you offer for the hole(taken out of an original source, i guess, it says to play your 2nd shot left of Hell Bunker in the 5th fairway!

• tiffer67
    1,764 Posts
    Fri, May 21 2010 2:42 AM

Purely for other players information;

Be very careful when playing the Road Hole on the St Andrews back 9. Yesterday I played in an approach shot, into quite a headwind, and the shot hit the bank greenside of the famous bunker. The ball kicked off to the left and rolled over the 18th tee. To my amazement I got the out of bounds message. There is an out of bounds on the 18th where the road starts but I  cannot believe the ball travelled that far. The bunker alone wasn't enough to stop me going directly for the pin on this hole, out of bounds being a possiblity is......

• Soulcatcher
    1,970 Posts
    Fri, May 21 2010 4:40 AM

I found that one on my first round there. I thought that would be a good miss being that you would have a decent pitch into an uphill green. The only problem was the ball did not stop rolling...lol

I think I will buy stock in Logitech. Mice have a short lifespan because of this game..lol

• andyson
    6,415 Posts
    Fri, May 21 2010 8:50 AM

WGTniv:
    There may be some hairline tweaking necessary, but for the most part it seems to be mapped & marked correctly.  I'll have 'em take a look at it anyway just to be sure.

WGTNiv, please do before the Open qualifying.  In my estimation there's a good chunk of the hole 14 map upper left corner that plays as OB.  Not that I'd want to hit there playing 14, except for the indicated orange area which is #5 fairway.  That's the area causing issues.

• tiffer67
    1,764 Posts
    Fri, Jun 4 2010 6:55 AM

There is a large part of the 14th that plays OB, I just hit 2 balls OB that on striking I thought were going to be perfectly placed. I understand the limitations of the game but this one seems very harsh.

• TarheelsRule
    5,480 Posts
    Sat, Jun 5 2010 5:25 PM

While I haven't hit one OB on #14 yet, I have played with several players who did.  Each time it seemed to be a shot that wasn't far offline and well struck.  I understand the limits that WGT has so I just accept it.  The 14th hole generally can be played straight away except on the tournament tees into a headwind so this probably doesn't come up that often.

• wizbang360
    411 Posts
    Tue, Jun 8 2010 2:35 PM

I , unlike soo many other masters, am not an average snob and play often with people with begginer or starter clubs that end up in the rough straight away almost every time,   soo it is a big issue and will be even bigger in the open.

• TarheelsRule
    5,480 Posts
    Tue, Jun 8 2010 3:15 PM

I try to play with masters and pros mainly due to the different green speed that many of the pros don't like.  The biggest problem on St Andrews that I see is on the 7th hole, where most amateurs and pros can't get over the rough with standard clubs, the 14th hole can usually be played okay with standard clubs from the pro tees.

• wizbang360
    411 Posts
    Tue, Jun 8 2010 5:25 PM

TarheelsRule:
    The biggest problem on St Andrews that I see is on the 7th hole
    ohh   right   my bad,      that is the hole  I was thinking of.   sry  

RSS