Forums

Help › Forums

nike method or ghost spiders?

Mon, Sep 1 2014 8:05 AM (65 replies)
  • BOBTX61
    311 Posts
    Sun, Aug 26 2012 11:17 PM

Oh, I TOTALLY AGREE with what you've said here.  Back in March, I was just beginning to hit "ranked rounds".  I had ONLY starter clubs & balls....my approach avg. was about 29 feet.  So, needless to say, I wasn't (1 putting anything).  As I upgraded to better clubs, better balls and hit a couple 100 more ranked rounds.....my approach avg. dropped about 50%.  So, NOW, when you look at my STATS.....I don't believe they reflect accurately.....due to how poorly I did the first 6 weeks I was hitting "ranked rounds".  BUT, I still need MUCH improvement on both my "short game & putting"!!!!!!!

Yeah, getting those "approach shots" as close to the pin as possible DEFINITELY makes your putting game so much easier....more birdies, lower scores!!!

Very good point, Pimpollillo!!!

Bob

• cpatterson22
    257 Posts
    Mon, Aug 27 2012 11:13 AM

chris5214:

cpatterson22:

Well maybe people like myself don't want to bother wasting money/time/credits on lower equipment only to throw it out for pennies on the dollar and have to buy new equipment, why would we be punished because you didn't have the self control or patience to just get up to the 70s and 80s in level before buying?

I'm a few thousand off level 77 and have been saving like crazy and still don't have enough to be able to buy all the top level clubs, so for you to expect everyone to shell out credits every 10 levels just to advance 1 or 2 tiers then chuck them out is idiotic.

you completely missed the point of my post on that player "cpatterson" .. and what said post suggests is wrong with the level system in WGT with regards to acquiring certain clubs while managing one's tier & how it translates into questionable practices when playing in matches with other people within the same tier 30 or 40 levels back ..

i'm at lvl84 and in the Legend tier and find myself unable to get the lvl90 R11's while some TP's use those very same clubs to play matches within their lower tier against other TP's with lesser equipment who are progressing normally up tiers & levels .. 

it's a faulty system that encourages dishonest & deceptive practices to many who are willing to be lured into a position where they can take unfair advantage of a defective system to basically defraud honest lower tiered players of their credits .. get the picture ? 

I'd assume the people who are Tour Pro with the level 90 R11's bought them fairly recently and are using them to level up faster... if not, then you can always report them for sandbagging if it's pretty obvious. 

If they've played enough rounds to get to level 90 then they've earned a little bit (that is to say, if I'm tour pro and dedicated the time to get to level 90 and just got R11's, I've earned a little time to break them in at Tour Pro til I get to Master), but yes, if they're clearly hanging around on purpose for a long time with all upgraded fantastic clubs, sure it's a problem, that's why you report them to members@wgt.com or w/e

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Mon, Aug 27 2012 11:58 AM

cpatterson22:
    if I'm tour pro and dedicated the time to get to level 90 and just got R11's, I've earned a little time to break them in at Tour Pro til I get to Master)

This is what fails-getting to level 90 without tiering up. There's only 2 scenarios that fit this. Either one is a very poor player OR it was carefully orchestrated to gain an advantage.

• chris5214
    1,937 Posts
    Mon, Aug 27 2012 12:05 PM

cpatterson22:

chris5214:

cpatterson22:

Well maybe people like myself don't want to bother wasting money/time/credits on lower equipment only to throw it out for pennies on the dollar and have to buy new equipment, why would we be punished because you didn't have the self control or patience to just get up to the 70s and 80s in level before buying?

I'm a few thousand off level 77 and have been saving like crazy and still don't have enough to be able to buy all the top level clubs, so for you to expect everyone to shell out credits every 10 levels just to advance 1 or 2 tiers then chuck them out is idiotic.

you completely missed the point of my post on that player "cpatterson" .. and what said post suggests is wrong with the level system in WGT with regards to acquiring certain clubs while managing one's tier & how it translates into questionable practices when playing in matches with other people within the same tier 30 or 40 levels back ..

i'm at lvl84 and in the Legend tier and find myself unable to get the lvl90 R11's while some TP's use those very same clubs to play matches within their lower tier against other TP's with lesser equipment who are progressing normally up tiers & levels .. 

it's a faulty system that encourages dishonest & deceptive practices to many who are willing to be lured into a position where they can take unfair advantage of a defective system to basically defraud honest lower tiered players of their credits .. get the picture ? 

I'd assume the people who are Tour Pro with the level 90 R11's bought them fairly recently and are using them to level up faster... if not, then you can always report them for sandbagging if it's pretty obvious. 

If they've played enough rounds to get to level 90 then they've earned a little bit (that is to say, if I'm tour pro and dedicated the time to get to level 90 and just got R11's, I've earned a little time to break them in at Tour Pro til I get to Master), but yes, if they're clearly hanging around on purpose for a long time with all upgraded fantastic clubs, sure it's a problem, that's why you report them to members@wgt.com or w/e

i hear what you are saying .. and certainly there are the odd occasions where players simply take that long to tier up ..

however, my contention was that many (most ?) low-tier, high-level players are out to give a defective system a good pumping & use their tools to blast away other unsuspecting, lower tiered players with lesser equipment in credit games .. there's no honor in that .. at all .. there's no standard of logic to justify such questionable practices & i challenge anyone to refute that logic ..

certainly the player profiles i've had a look at with top equipment & low tier hardly play ranked rounds .. i've lost interest in searching out such profiles, but i haven't lost the ability to voice my displeasure over such "players" .. i'd rather just focus on getting to lvl90 myself to get my grubby mits on those clubs ..

i've been involved in a couple of games with these low-life twats & derived a certain amount of pleasure in giving them a proper scrubbing on the course .. but i hardly play randomly like that anymore & focus on games with my honest CC buds ..

like i said, there are exceptions & i certainly am not pointing a finger at you .. i haven't looked at ur profile and i have no interest in doing so .. if you are one of the honest ones then good onya .. i trust that you are for having voiced your point of view here ..

& good luck with those R11's .. sure wish i had them already too

• cpatterson22
    257 Posts
    Mon, Aug 27 2012 3:17 PM

YankeeJim:

cpatterson22:
    if I'm tour pro and dedicated the time to get to level 90 and just got R11's, I've earned a little time to break them in at Tour Pro til I get to Master)

This is what fails-getting to level 90 without tiering up. There's only 2 scenarios that fit this. Either one is a very poor player OR it was carefully orchestrated to gain an advantage.

Well they'd tier up a bit, sure. I think by 90 nobody should be Pro still for any reason whatsoever, I'd completely agree if you said that for sure. 

However I myself may hold back on Tour Pro and stick to Alt Shot a while just because I know and have heard Master is a big step back in terms of tees, and I'm not going to even attempt to tackle that with starters. So eventually I may have clubs stronger than my tier, yes. Though I'd also at that point be working to move forward, hence the 1-2 week window or so after buying the clubs where I could understand someone being TP still and having very nice clubs.

I'm not for any reason going to buy crap clubs that I know I'm going to be ditching in a couple weeks or months just to bump up a tier. 

As for chris5214, I don't have the R11s lol I have all starters except a Nike L77 putter I just purchased 2 hours ago, Level 77 Tour Pro, and as I get clubs I'll slowly work up, but as I said, I don't wanna take the jump to Master tees until I've got at least a strong 3 Wood to work with. I'll be likely buying Cleveland wedges at level 78 and 80, and then after that I'm not sure, but I also don't compete in tournaments much, so I'm not exactly capitalizing on anything either.

Like I said, it's a judgment call in every case, and you'd have to report them for judging. If someone has all upgraded clubs and are still a Pro in the 80s levels, that's pretty clearly sandbagging, I'd fully agree. 

Pro to Tour Pro isn't much of a change, merely green speed. TP to Master is a big change IMO. So there's no reason that people should be stuck on Pro tier for reasons of "i dont wanna tackle a huge change yet", but I could understand Tour Pro, or whatever other tiers have a tee change, a bit more.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Mon, Aug 27 2012 3:37 PM

cpatterson22:
    I think by 90 nobody should be Pro still for any reason whatsoever, I'd completely agree if you said that for sure

I'm not saying anybody should be anything, I just can't fathom loving the game of golf and not wanting to be the best you can be and compete with the best. 90 levels of golf says one loves the game.

Low tier, high level players don't bother me, I just don't play them. They're the junior players here and posers to the nth degree. Give me the TL that owns me, they won't for long. I might lose a lot but I will also win and when I do I can feel like I accomplished something by hanging with the best. In the meantime I learn a lot. Better golfers than you make you a better golfer.

• chris5214
    1,937 Posts
    Mon, Aug 27 2012 3:38 PM

cpatterson22:

As for chris5214, I don't have the R11s lol I have all starters except a Nike L77 putter I just purchased 2 hours ago, Level 77 Tour Pro, and as I get clubs I'll slowly work up, but as I said, I don't wanna take the jump to Master tees until I've got at least a strong 3 Wood to work with. I'll be likely buying Cleveland wedges at level 78 and 80, and then after that I'm not sure, but I also don't compete in tournaments much, so I'm not exactly capitalizing on anything either.

Like I said, it's a judgment call in every case, and you'd have to report them for judging. If someone has all upgraded clubs and are still a Pro in the 80s levels, that's pretty clearly sandbagging, I'd fully agree. 

Pro to Tour Pro isn't much of a change, merely green speed. TP to Master is a big change IMO. So there's no reason that people should be stuck on Pro tier for reasons of "i dont wanna tackle a huge change yet", but I could understand Tour Pro, or whatever other tiers have a tee change, a bit more.

oops .. my mistake .. excuse me as i remove foot from mouth

• Grandelf
    588 Posts
    Mon, Aug 27 2012 7:51 PM

I'll begin simply by saying this is a game.

From day one till now, I am the same guy, one who loves the game. When I began I played other starters, or legends if they didn't have this "I'm above you" attitude. If they declined they did me a favor. No matter the clubs, the tier....it's about friendly competition, the operative word being friendly.

Never was intimidated by a legend as a hack, you see, it's a game. Now I am rated higher than I was as a hack, but I will play any level still. When I see a newcomer leave in a blitz game before we start, or a legend leave because of any tier, I think "It's a damn game." When I arrived here I was no one other than a guy playing a game, now some time later, I nothing more than a guy playing a game.

I use the clubs I do because I want to, because it's a game. My level never has and never will have anything to do with it. I have entered as many tournaments that I want, done okay, have played terrible, when it's said and done, I am you guessed it, the same guy.  For this is no more than a game.

Where the value lies is the people I have met and developed close bonds with people from literally all over the world. Because of a game...

I never am not good enough, nor better than anyone and will HAPPILY play the game. So please fathom how someone can play others and enjoy the game immensely, without caring of their tier, average, equipment etc. I am an example of that....because you see, this WGT thing.....is simply a game.

• StrokerLee
    94 Posts
    Tue, Aug 28 2012 1:07 AM

"StrokerLee"]I am an 'Exceptional Putter' both here and in real life golfMaybe IRL...here...your stats say otherwise

That was my whole point (

when I mentioned that I was an exceptional putter...and someone stated that my stats didn't support that !!) But on the contrary...because just like in real golf...the other aspects of my golf game needs a lot of improvement !!! So I am not dropping my approach shots on the green within six feet or less the MOST of the time!!!  But for the majority of my approach shots ... I generally leave myself (unfortunately) mainly between 12 to 20 feet...and very seldom more than 25 feet from the cup !!! and that is why my stats doesn't show a very lenghty putt of 50 feet or more !!! But realisticly speaking if I make over half of those one putts from between 12 and 20 feet !!! Anyone would have to admit that ain't bad !!! it's not overly great either...but for some strange reason I could not do this (or 'that' whichever you prefer) with any other putter other than the level 44 'Ping Redwood' Putter !!! Now remember >>>I DON'T RENT CLUBS<<< I BUY THEM !!! SO WHEN I SAY THAT I HAVE HAD ALL THOSE OTHER PUTTERS >>> THAT SIMPLY MEANS I BOUGHT THEM AND GAVE MYSELF PLENTY OF TIME TO DIAL THEM IN !!! AND NONE OF THOSE OTHER PUTTERS WOULD WORK FOR ME !!!  And of course then finally...you still have to be able to read the greens and hit your putt(s) !!! And no matter what putter you have if you can't do that on a somewhat regular basis >>> IT JUST AIN'T GONNA MATTER !!! But once again and with all due respect...that's just my 'stroke' at the whole putter(s) and putting thing !!!That was my whole point (when I mentioned that I was an exceptional putter...and someone stated that my stats didn't support that !!) But on the contrary...because just like in real golf...the other aspects of my golf game needs a lot of improvement !!! So I am not dropping my approach shots on the green within six feet or less the MOST of the time!!!  But for the majority of my approach shots ... I generally leave myself (unfortunately) mainly between 12 to 20 feet...and very seldom more than 25 feet from the cup !!! and that is why my stats doesn't show a very lenghty putt of 50 feet or more !!! But realisticly speaking if I make over half of those one putts from between 12 and 20 feet !!! Anyone would have to admit that ain't bad !!! it's not overly great either...but for some strange reason I could not do this (or 'that' whichever you prefer) with any other putter other than the level 44 'Ping Redwood' Putter !!! Now remember >>>I DON'T RENT CLUBS<<< I BUY THEM !!! SO WHEN I SAY THAT I HAVE HAD ALL THOSE OTHER PUTTERS >>> THAT SIMPLY MEANS I BOUGHT THEM AND GAVE MYSELF PLENTY OF TIME TO DIAL THEM IN !!! AND NONE OF THOSE OTHER PUTTERS WOULD WORK FOR ME !!!  And of course then finally...you still have to be able to read the greens and hit your putt(s) !!! And no matter what putter you have if you can't do that on a somewhat regular basis >>> IT JUST AIN'T GONNA MATTER !!! But once again and with all due respect...that's just my 'stroke' at the whole putter(s) and putting thing !!!

• Pimpollillo
    179 Posts
    Tue, Aug 28 2012 11:28 AM

Finally, one question...

Is there a noticeable difference between the nike method (+51) & the Ghost Sipider (+35).

Just half a dot in forgiveness & balance.

But the price difference is huge...

Edit to ask... What's the difference between the Ghost Spider & the Ghost Manta?. Looks like they are the same thing...

RSS