Help › Forums

Are golfers p*ssies?

rated by 0 users
Mon, Aug 20 2012 10:42 PM (37 replies)
  • YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sat, Aug 11 2012 7:02 PM

JaLaBar:
    Why is it that golfer's seem to need absolute silence to play?

You need to be amped up to hit a fastball and most of the time the hitter is guessing location anyway. With golf you need intense focus to maintain proper everything as you try to hit a stationary object. Major difference in the 2 acts.

Have you ever been focused on something, maybe a shot setup or a putt read (here in the game) and have the phone ring and startle the daylights out of you?

• gsoup
    2,929 Posts
    Sat, Aug 11 2012 7:12 PM

mantis0014:
     Planes and Trains and Automobiles

movie m8

• zelg
    332 Posts
    Sat, Aug 11 2012 8:09 PM

Played once across from airport having an air show, scared me half to death when a p-51 dive bombed the air field. Can only imagine that sound coming at you with guns blazing. I suck at real golf and this didn't make things better.   Greg

• josephk2317
    873 Posts
    Sat, Aug 11 2012 9:11 PM

How about having your better half poking you in the back with a back scratcher while saying "You Suck at golf" just to get your attention.  It's getting to the point that I am starting to flinch and look behind me when ever I make my back swing for a shot. LOL

I have told her on numerous occasions that I will prop it up outside the front door and call to make  a donation to a local charity. And I do hide it from her sometimes just to have a better round.

Happy Golfing! 

• LeonDelBosque
    1,551 Posts
    Sat, Aug 11 2012 9:45 PM

If everyone was talking and moving and yelling non-stop, all day at the golf course it probably wouldn't be a problem. On the other hand, batters (not to mention pitchers) probably would have a hell of a time if the stadium was totally quiet and still except for a few guys behind home plate sometimes jumping up and blowing a bullhorn right in the middle of a pitch.  

• MBaggese
    15,367 Posts
    Sat, Aug 11 2012 10:30 PM

LeonDelBosque:

. On the other hand, batters (not to mention pitchers) probably would have a hell of a time if the stadium was totally quiet and still except for a few guys behind home plate sometimes jumping up and blowing a bullhorn right in the middle of a pitch.  

Remember the Expo's')

• JaLaBar
    1,254 Posts
    Sat, Aug 11 2012 11:00 PM

dario2589:
    Because every stroke counts and if someone yells at the top of your backswing you gonna hit the ball out of bounds probably... You have never palyed golf in real life right?

Wrong.  I have played thousands of rounds... noise never bothered me.  Again, every at-bat in a baseball game counts as well.  It's called focus, and if you have it you tune out the outside distractions.  Or I did, at least.

And I should clarify... I am not talking about some fan intentionally shouting to attempt to distract during a shot.  That would be dickish and I can understand a golfer getting pissed about that.  But the mild chatter of the fans and that gentleman shouting "Quiet Please!" until everyone completely stops talking is ridiculous.  They should not require absolute crowd silence to play.

• dario2589
    202 Posts
    Sat, Aug 11 2012 11:09 PM

JaLaBar:

dario2589:
    Because every stroke counts and if someone yells at the top of your backswing you gonna hit the ball out of bounds probably... You have never palyed golf in real life right?

Wrong.  I have played thousands of rounds... noise never bothered me.  Again, every at-bat in a baseball game counts as well.  It's called focus, and if you have it you tune out the outside distractions.  Or I did, at least.

Well we got here a master of focus and concentration!  if tiger cant concentrate all the times and make mistakes due to noises like this...

You should try becoming pro! maybe you can beat tiger!

• nanstar
    4,914 Posts
    Sun, Aug 12 2012 12:03 AM

" The least thing upset him on the links. He missed short putts because of the uproar of butterflies in the adjoining meadows "

~ P.G.Wodehouse ~

• Slowwedge
    143 Posts
    Sun, Aug 12 2012 12:14 AM

Comparing baseball and golf is not easy........in baseball it's all about just hitting the ball.......in golf it's all about where to land the ball.

Anyone can hit a golfball with a roaring crowd............but since the landing is the aim and not the hit there is a difference.

Just said the same twice.....all for some special people out there!

RSS