Forums

Help › Forums

Are golfers p*ssies?

rated by 0 users
Mon, Aug 20 2012 10:42 PM (37 replies)
  • JaLaBar
    1,254 Posts
    Sat, Aug 11 2012 1:24 PM

Yes, the title is to get your attention, but the premise is about the need for absolute silence when striking, which I think is absurd.  The hardest base act to perform in sports is to successfully hit a baseball.  The ball is travelling at anywhere from 80-100 MPH, and usually you won't know exactly what speed, or how it's going to move, until it leaves the pitcher's hand.  Yet, baseball players manage to sucessfully hit the ball with 1000s of people screaming at them.

Why is it that golfer's seem to need absolute silence to play?

• PeterHopper
    1,315 Posts
    Sat, Aug 11 2012 1:35 PM

Because many of them are miserable gits?

• pjctas0822
    4,550 Posts
    Sat, Aug 11 2012 2:41 PM

JaLaBar:

Yes, the title is to get your attention, but the premise is about the need for absolute silence when striking, which I think is absurd.  The hardest base act to perform in sports is to successfully hit a baseball.  The ball is travelling at anywhere from 80-100 MPH, and usually you won't know exactly what speed, or how it's going to move, until it leaves the pitcher's hand.  Yet, baseball players manage to sucessfully hit the ball with 1000s of people screaming at them.

Not to mention round ball and round bat :) I guess you get used to the crowd noise in baseball. I would rather play a Happy Gilmore type round with all the noise. Would encourage and motivate me :) 

• chris5214
    1,937 Posts
    Sat, Aug 11 2012 5:16 PM

maybe cause goin' through ur pre-shot routine is a lot like foreplay .. lots of variables to think about .. head down, knees slightly bent, firm grip, rotating at the hips, follow through .. i know i'd not want a crowd to cheer me on during "that" .. it'll break my "form" .. lol

• navigater
    1,319 Posts
    Sat, Aug 11 2012 5:26 PM

The group I play golf with every weekend,carry on like we are just walking in a park.we don't stop talking for nothing.But we do respect the other golfers on the course, if they can here us,we quiet down.

• dario2589
    202 Posts
    Sat, Aug 11 2012 5:35 PM

JaLaBar:

Because every stroke counts and if someone yells at the top of your backswing you gonna hit the ball out of bounds probably... You have never palyed golf in real life right?

• TeeWade
    1,216 Posts
    Sat, Aug 11 2012 5:46 PM

We are what we eat.    :p

• renniw52
    5,385 Posts
    Sat, Aug 11 2012 6:21 PM

Great question Ja. I have wondered this myself. Look at all the volunteers holding up little signs that say quiet. A golfer is hitting a stationary ball at their own pace. Guess the seagulls and the waves crashing at Kia have been trained in golf etiquette. QUIET PLEASE. Can you imagine a cell phone going off in the stadium and Brady throws an interception, turns around and just goes off on the fan.

• pjctas0822
    4,550 Posts
    Sat, Aug 11 2012 6:40 PM

TeeWade:

We are what we eat.    :p

+1

• mantis0014
    8,946 Posts
    Sat, Aug 11 2012 6:41 PM

I think the Pro's are trained for silence as they come through the ranks. The slightest sudden noise can throw their concentration off, like camera's.

Noises like that that they are not use to.  Planes and Trains and Automobiles (sounds like a song...lol) they are use to and doesn't worry em.

I've loved some of the previous replies though.....Very Cluey....lol 

-Roger

RSS