Forums

Help › Forums

Are golfers p*ssies?

rated by 0 users
Mon, Aug 20 2012 10:42 PM (37 replies)
  • alosso
    21,028 Posts
    Sun, Aug 12 2012 1:40 AM

It's not (only) the Pros but the amateurs, too, who demand silence during their swing.

Maybe it's some long-forgotten virtue like consideration to let the fellow player fulfill the difficult task of a shot without disturbance.

I for one can only stroke it well with (maximum) one thought in my head. "What was that?" ain't one of those.

• mantis0014
    8,946 Posts
    Sun, Aug 12 2012 2:28 AM

gsoup:

mantis0014:
     Planes and Trains and Automobiles

movie m8

Oh... yes, steve martin and john candy .... what a great film too.

I was thinking about the song,   Trains and boats and planes..  I just posted in the Music Thread...lol

• nanstar
    4,914 Posts
    Sun, Aug 12 2012 5:42 AM

Slowwedge:

Comparing baseball and golf is not easy...

Yes.

Golf and bowling may also be seen as difficult to reconcile..

Athough one of the advantages bowling has over golf is that you seldom lose a bowling ball.

• MioKontic
    4,587 Posts
    Sun, Aug 12 2012 4:07 PM

I've played many sports over the years and never have I wanted anyone to be quiet whilst I play.  In fact, the more noise (support) the better as it increases the adrenalin.  I am very good at focusing on the job in hand and can usually block out most things around me.  I do think pros are simply finding excuses for when something goes wrong, someone to blame.

I have a couple of examples too.

1)  I know a professional soccer player here in the UK who played soccer in the early 70's.  In soccer they have many thousands of fans screaming, but it doesn't put them off what they are doing... although when you see how wide some shots are you do wonder!  Years later he managed a sports centre near me.  He organised a golf competition once and I was amazed at how a little movement miles away from him put him off his putt on the green.

2)  Snooker players have to have complete silence when taking a shot, otherwise they lose concentration.  I used to watch the Mosconi Cup, the 9-ball pool version of the Ryder cup between USA and Europe.  Anyway, in the early days the European team had a few snooker players.  Spectators were usually quite vocal during games, but somehow it didn't put those snooker players off!!  So, why the difference???

I still think professionals should learn to concentrate on what they are doing and block out what is gong on around them; if I can do it I'm sure they should be able to too.

• TeeWade
    1,216 Posts
    Mon, Aug 13 2012 8:35 PM

zelg:

Played once across from airport having an air show, scared me half to death when a p-51 dive bombed the air field. Can only imagine that sound coming at you with guns blazing. I suck at real golf and this didn't make things better.   Greg

LOL  I can see why it would. 95% of my real life golfing has been on military bases. I can sincerely give Top Honors for loudness to Langley A.F.B. Their course was practically a front row view of the flightline / runway. You could feel the thrust vibrations as the jets played. Always cool stuff....I don't care who you are  :)

• DrussTheLegend
    1,043 Posts
    Tue, Aug 14 2012 12:06 AM

I've seen a player hitting shot after shot at a driving range while a worker was using a 2-stroke brush cutter about 5 yds from him, yet on the course a zip on a golf bag 8 yds away puts him off and causes a shank! (not in a pro comp btw).

Guess its all about what you get used to and your expectations - anything that creates an expectation gap is going to put you off......

• GaryKoop
    149 Posts
    Tue, Aug 14 2012 2:08 AM

Etiquette

• gofbals
    178 Posts
    Tue, Aug 14 2012 4:20 AM

Its all about routine and concentration.To get to that concentration you need your routine

which does not include anyone or anything else.Total eye piercing concentration where

you can put your ball to rest on a blade of grass that you picked.

• MBaggese
    15,367 Posts
    Tue, Aug 14 2012 5:14 PM

MioKontic:
    I've played many sports over the years and never have I wanted anyone to be quiet whilst I play.  In fact, the more noise (support) the better as it increases the adrenalin.  I am very good at focusing on the job in hand and can usually block out most things around me.  I do think pros are simply finding excuses for when something goes wrong, someone to blame.

It's one thing to have a "din/buzz/constant" noised going on, but quite another to have silence (that the game evolved with) then a sudden noise.

I used to shoot a lot of pool...no issues in any bar with load music, people yacking and carrying on at the local bars for a beer a game.

But when Tourney times came, the places would get quiet...heck, I'd tear the felt if someone dropped a stick as I was hitting a shot;)

RSS