Help › Forums

Calculating the Lie for to determine shot distance

Fri, Jun 25 2010 9:25 PM (10 replies)
  • PAGES
  • Ecco2
    28 Posts
    Mon, May 10 2010 10:51 AM

Hello all,

I'm still mystified on how to calculate the Lie percentage for a follow-up shot. I may as well be shooting blindfolded...lol. It would be nice if there was a formula to determine the distance needed to use to reach the target. This would be a very nice answer to all rough, fescue and bunker shots. I have read opinions on the forums but have not seen any actual formula that can be used for more precision. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Ecco2 

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Mon, May 10 2010 12:32 PM

There is no formula as such, Ecco. You have to figure out how to compensate through trial and error, so to speak. Different players have different ways they have developed and you'll need to do the same. I can give you a starting point that is fairly consistent. In fact, it's what I use to this day for the most part.

In 20-25% rough add 1/2 club to whatever the caddie suggests. In 30-40 add 1 club and in 40-50 add 2 with a 75% swing. This isn't empirical by any means but it will get you close enough to figure out how to handle the lies.

Over 50% lies mean you're in trouble and should probably be thinking get back into play. Punching works well there. Keep in mind the ball out of rough lies will run a lot on landing so expect it. 

On bunker shots I started out taking 2 clubs over what the caddie says but there are a lot of different shots to use so you have to be careful. These starting points use whatever the game suggests as a base to add to so trust it at first, just to see what happens. I think you'll catch on fast. GL

• chipshotcharlie
    538 Posts
    Mon, May 10 2010 1:19 PM

Just to add to my guru YJ another tip to try is 20-30%add20% of caddies distance

30-40% add 30% of caddies distance -40-50% id allow 50% what the caddy suggests and youl get the hang of it soon enough.

60-70% punch out 2 clubs up and pray you are no longer in a world of hurt lol

hope this helps CSC

• nickuk
    967 Posts
    Mon, May 10 2010 1:46 PM

and don`t forget what type of ball your using....what type of club your using and so on! (i`m no expert mind)

• chipshotcharlie
    538 Posts
    Mon, May 10 2010 1:57 PM

nickuk:

and don`t forget what type of ball your using....what type of club your using and so on! (i`m no expert mind)

Hey brainiak posts say up club from caddy suggestion, hence what club, ball type is irrelevant as both posts say you`l figure it out from these tips.I don`t think OP want`s us to play for him.

PS im no expert either but i try and help

• nickuk
    967 Posts
    Mon, May 10 2010 2:08 PM

and dont forget the wind....lol i see you know how to play bud im only jestin. i think mr yankee! covered most of it! james ..sorry.

• Ecco2
    28 Posts
    Fri, Jun 25 2010 4:15 PM

Thanks for your input Jim, but this game is still based on mathematics. Would sure help if our good friends at WGT would offer some programmer input into this subject....after all, we are the reason they make their money. Make us happy please WGT, post your formula. We do have the brains to do simple math and for those who don't they made calculators. Thanks

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Fri, Jun 25 2010 5:03 PM

Ecco2:

Thanks for your input Jim, but this game is still based on mathematics. Would sure help if our good friends at WGT would offer some programmer input into this subject....after all, we are the reason they make their money. Make us happy please WGT, post your formula. We do have the brains to do simple math and for those who don't they made calculators. Thanks

Aint happening, Ecco. Absolutely no reason to turn this into a point and click game. It's the way it is on purpose to force you to play with the same tools the pros have. Sorry.  :-)

• TheZiggy
    550 Posts
    Fri, Jun 25 2010 6:23 PM

Something you have to realise, is that each different lie, has a different effect upon each club and the shot type you select. The percentage of swing also makes a huge difference over what happens as well.

You're just going to have to learn through experience and experimentation. Once you do work it out for your set of clubs, you'll find you can do all the complex calculations very quickly, and usually be pretty accurate.

• GITrDONE
    701 Posts
    Fri, Jun 25 2010 6:48 PM

Ecco2:
    Make us happy please WGT, post your formula.

Where is the fun in that...It wouldn't really be a game if WGT did all the work for ya...We unskilled players ARE the reason they make money. I keep losing balls and they keep selling me more.The formula for that is easy...DON'T hit 'em in the drink or OB,I know...lol

What I'm saying is ,if this game was easy as the other online golf games I wouldn't be playing it...I really like the challenge...If it's based on mathmathics,look I promise I ain't REALLY trying to be a smartbutt but can't you do the math.

• PAGES
RSS