Forums

Help › Forums

What is the deal with slope indication

rated by 0 users
Wed, May 5 2010 4:31 PM (2 replies)
  • jlh2010
    8 Posts
    Wed, May 5 2010 1:51 PM

On the green, I notice that sometimes when I put the pyramid on the ball, it will show a drop or rise of 1 when the distance is zero. This distance is obviously calculated from the ball, why isn't the drop or rise? I notice that 2 feet behind the ball (from your stance), is where the drop/rise indicator arrow changes, indicating zero. Is this a bug?

• WGTniv
    1,788 Posts
    Wed, May 5 2010 2:37 PM

The coordinates on the grid are broken down into some extremely small sizes.  It's unlikely that you could actually put the triangle exactly on the ball itself.  Even if it says 0 ft it is still not exactly on the ball, the coordinate may still read something like .000054.  We do not show elevation in half-inch increments since that is typically not visible to the naked eye, so instead the elevation is simply rounded up (or down) to the next full inch.

• jlh2010
    8 Posts
    Wed, May 5 2010 4:31 PM

I would assume when the rise/drop arrow changes direction, that is where zero is. All around the ball the arrow will show down and I have to move it some 2 feet away to find the zero. When I can move the pyramid all around the ball and it shows a drop of 1, there seems to be a problem. If I had to guess, it looks like the drop is being calculated from the feet of the putter.

I've misread some very short putts on very fast greens because I think the slope is being incorrectly indicated. I follow the rule you guys posted of allowing about a foot per inch.

RSS