Forums

Help › Forums

Wanting to upgrade need some input

rated by 0 users
Sat, May 1 2010 3:20 PM (28 replies)
  • TuckerCampbell3
    1 Posts
    Thu, Apr 29 2010 5:06 PM

Hey guys I have been playing for a little while now and think I am starting to get the hang of it and wanting to put some money in. I do alright with the tour starters but want to buy a set and was wondering if I should hold of until I am a master so I dont have to buy the pro set and then the master. Anything helps thanks for the time everyone

• jayjonbeach
    689 Posts
    Thu, Apr 29 2010 5:13 PM

If you can afford it, buy the most expensive TM putter for 7.50, best purchase I ever made and best putter available, also does NOT need upgrading. (edit - you already own it, good choice :) )

Then buy the WGT Tour Pro driver, 245 yards for 300 credits, those two things alone should get you to Master and 10 bucks, pretty economical. (will need upgrading but only 3 bucks)

Got a couple more bucks, buy the WGT Tour Pro 3W for a 1.20 and a good wedge helps wonders around the green, PING Tour W Pro 60° and TaylorMade Z-Satin TP Pro 52°for 2 bucks each, wedges DON'T need upgrading so safe to purchase now. 

This is more or less exactly what I did.  Once you hit Master, you need the good irons (G10) and longer drivers but the above will get you there and not break the bank. 

Some cheap balls to slow the meter a little too, WGT GI-D  for 50 cents work good, more expensive ones work even better and with the new wedges, you will need them. 

Good luck and happy hitting. 

• neildiamond11790
    1,115 Posts
    Fri, Apr 30 2010 7:21 AM

I actually purchase most of my stuff in the pro tier, and then worked my way up to master.  In that time I played a lot of ready go's, reloaded some money again for some credits.  After a certain point I made master, but still used mostly pro gear except for a master driver.  Still playing Ready Go's, and earned more credits to eventually get master irons.  I made a few mistakes in between pro and master that I wouldnt do again, but the general flow is the way I just described it.

• TheAceFactor
    2,147 Posts
    Fri, Apr 30 2010 10:04 AM

jayjonbeach:
    wedges DON'T need upgrading so safe to purchase now. 

There are indeed 2 Taylor-Made master RAC wedges.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Fri, Apr 30 2010 10:14 AM

TheAceFactor:

Sorry Ace, no such thing. JJ's right but it reads better when you say the wedges available at pro level don't need upgrading at the Master level because there are no Master wedges, as such.

• TheAceFactor
    2,147 Posts
    Fri, Apr 30 2010 10:19 AM

YankeeJim:

TheAceFactor:

Sorry Ace, no such thing. JJ's right but it reads better when you say the wedges available at pro level don't need upgrading at the Master level because there are no Master wedges, as such.

LOL  , ok , i guess we're shopping at different pro-shops...lol

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Fri, Apr 30 2010 10:24 AM

TheAceFactor:
     LOL  , ok , i guess we're shopping at different pro-shops...lol

Oh man, I humbly apologize, Ace. I was a Master when the Master wedge came out and have had it since. When I was a Pro they were all available and did not realize there was a distinction.  You are correct.

• TheAceFactor
    2,147 Posts
    Fri, Apr 30 2010 10:32 AM

As far as performance , they're ratings are the same , but as for range , at 90 yards and 110 yards , they are the longest 54 and 60 degree wedges available in a Taylor-Made.I don't know the range on the ping.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Fri, Apr 30 2010 10:44 AM

TheAceFactor:
    at 90 yards and 110 yards , they are the longest 54 and 60 degree wedges available.   I love'em    :)

Me too! Since I have all the clubs I need I went back to nivlac's chart, which I haven't seen in a while, to see what clubs could go to who. He's done a nice job of updating it to include the various yardages of the different shots. Very helpful. I did notice the only single difference between the Master 60 and the Pro 60 was the yardage. Everything else is identical. Heh-I guess Master gets you a few more yards.

I can see where somebody looking to upgrade could really get frazzled, there's so much info there. Purchases you make now can last you forever (as in not having to upgrade) so I think the best way to approach your upgrade is to look at long term and then lay out your coverages, with gaps, from the tee to the green. Keep the gaps to a minimum by looking at what a particular club goes in all of the shots! Once you're happy with that setup you'll be able to address any situation you run into on the courses.

It is also helpful to understand the affect of the club's trajectory on the distance. High doesn't run out as much as Med/High and wind affects High more than Med/High. Whatever you decide for yourself take the time to learn them-they're not going to make the ball go in the hole any easier but getting close will happen more and more. GL

• mrboo
    211 Posts
    Fri, Apr 30 2010 6:04 PM

imo, don't buy a putter. the only difference is distance increments. If you read and hit it right, it's going in. It's the putter that makes putts, not the putter. The spider is very forgiving, but even the slightest mis hit will on a straight putt will result in enough push or pull to miss the putt,  and i recently experimented with the starter and spider, shot a 30 with the spider, shot a 30 with the starter..making several 20+ putts with the starter. Buy some nice irons instead. G10's I15's or Pro V2 Raptures. imo.

RSS