Forums

Help › Forums

Can you pitch or chip when on the green?

rated by 0 users
Mon, Nov 30 2015 1:39 PM (32 replies)
  • RobertLFleck
    4 Posts
    Tue, Jun 19 2012 6:38 PM

I tried asking customer support this question and they pointed me to the FAQs that I'd already read without finding an answer, and to these forums. Will the game actually allow you to properly chip or pitch when you're on the green. In specific, I've tried to do this several times at St. Andrews, most particularly on The Road Hole when my ball finishes just on the bottom portion of the green near the bunker and the pin is back left. There's no way to get even to the right portion of the green with a putt, but when I try to pitch the ball it skulls it into the rough or the bunker.

• WGTicon
    12,511 Posts
    Tue, Jun 19 2012 7:32 PM

Hi

the best way to get such answer is to try it. I can't tell you for sure if it works or not because it depends on hole/how hard you hit and how you aim. 

Will the ball move when you hit it, yes...but the rest have to be practiced.

-wgticon

• alcaucin
    9,041 Posts
    Tue, Jun 19 2012 8:48 PM

RobertLFleck:

I tried asking customer support this question and they pointed me to the FAQs that I'd already read without finding an answer, and to these forums. Will the game actually allow you to properly chip or pitch when you're on the green. In specific, I've tried to do this several times at St. Andrews, most particularly on The Road Hole when my ball finishes just on the bottom portion of the green near the bunker and the pin is back left. There's no way to get even to the right portion of the green with a putt, but when I try to pitch the ball it skulls it into the rough or the bunker.

Just play that one hole over & over..keep putting yourself in that ( hellish ) spot,,u will soon hit on the winning formula !!

• RobertLFleck
    4 Posts
    Tue, Jun 19 2012 8:52 PM

I have tried it, over and over. I play a pitch shot just as I would from any other position on the course, and the ball rolls forward or sideways a few feet. It does not go in the air in any fashion.

Just for fun, I tested a few things just now on the first green at St. Andrews, and chipping and pitching will not get the ball airborne, but a three wood tees off nicely into Old Tom Morris' golf shop to vent my frustrations. 

• alcaucin
    9,041 Posts
    Tue, Jun 19 2012 8:54 PM

Alternatively play 2 left of bunk..easy chip & putt, though not getting many birdies that route,handy if you're in fescue from your drive !!

• RobertLFleck
    4 Posts
    Tue, Jun 19 2012 8:56 PM

Thanks. I do my best not to put myself in that spot, actually, but that's also not the only green in golf where one can find oneself in a spot on a green where putting won't get you to the hole but pitching will. The game seems to make it impossible to actually pitch on the green, though. 

If anybody HAS successfully pitched or chipped on a green, I'd love to hear how, and I'm sure others would benefit from hearing as well.

• RASTAFARIANSTEVE
    57 Posts
    Tue, Jun 19 2012 8:59 PM

it only works.if you use a lower lofted club like a p wedge but you cant put spin.my tip is just get closer to the hole.

• DannyPhan
    1,013 Posts
    Tue, Jun 19 2012 9:11 PM

You need to use a full shot and it will go about 1/2 the distance of what the club is rated.

I.E. my clev 64 rated 60 yrds full shot goes about 28-30 on the green, practice it

Danny

• RobertLFleck
    4 Posts
    Wed, Jun 20 2012 5:55 AM

Thanks, Danny. 

Slightly annoying to the real-world golfer in me, but that does have the advantage that a full shot with my wedges has less roll-out than a chip or pitch. Good for tight hole locations.

• Maria555
    5 Posts
    Tue, Jul 3 2012 8:04 AM

If you try a hybrid off the green, it's a long story. but if you have a wedge that is upgraded, any wedge, 50yrd Wedge: 67ft. 75yrd Wedge: 100ft. 90yrd Wedge: 100-175ft. 100yrd Wedge: 200ft. 110yrd Wedge: 225ft. 115yrd Wedge: 230-275ft. That's my guess with wedge distance of green. 

RSS