Forums

Help › Forums

beating the dead horse

rated by 0 users
Mon, Apr 26 2010 1:44 PM (27 replies)
  • neildiamond11790
    1,115 Posts
    Fri, Apr 23 2010 6:39 AM

longball, if you have dinged a shot, please show me the replay of it going 40 left of intended target without a 30 mph wind.  The mishit you are representing is more of the club accuracy fault, not every shot is hit exactly where you point, and not every mishit is going to be terrible (otherwise all our scores would be lower).  Sometimes you have a good miss, and sometimes like in real life you could swear you hit the ball on the screws and opps you missed the green.  There is definately a variance to some shots, and I look at as good thing.  I have shot a 46 on 18 holes on TW games (-26),  I have finished a tourney -96,  how realistic is that.  How realistic is that you can hit a pop up driver 330 yds and have it check on the green in TW.  Thats arcade.  This is closer to reality.  Take the good with the bad.

• neildiamond11790
    1,115 Posts
    Fri, Apr 23 2010 7:17 AM

If you want some hard numbers from my attempt at an explanation earlier, here you go:

Imaging being 90yds to pin.  Now to compensate for the wind, or a pull swing, you aim 10ft from the flag (the important thing to remember is your actual triangle mark is 10ft from pin on the green) will you need a shot distance of 90.1 yd, with the angle produced for the adjacent side (ball to pin) and the hypotenuse side (ball to aim marker) is 2.12 degrees.  (this is using a right triangle model and the old useful tip "Old Harry And His Old Aunt" to calcuate theta).

Now you use the aim mark if you think the line is right but the marker instead of 90yds is at 20 yds (because of higher ground the aim mark lands on the higher ground, not the green, it still looks like you are aiming 10ft right of pin).  That gives us the same 90yds to pin, but 20 yards to mark.  Since the angle is unknown, I am going to take the line to pin and stop at a spot on that line 20yds in front of ball, now go 10ft right and create a right angle triangle to calculate the angle (assumption I know but it should get us close).  We get a 20.18yd hypotenuse line (ball to aim mark), and an angle of 9.46degrees.

Thats over 4 times greater in angle created.  Lets say you used that faulty marker on 20yds away to hit your shot, and your attempt is to hit a 90yd shot, using that 9.46deg angle created your shot will land approx 45ft from pin or 15 yards.  Do the same thing from the fairway from 200yds out using the same angle you are going to ended up 33.33yds right of where you think you are aiming.

So you can see, dont trust your aim spot unless that marker is aimed on the green itself.  What you thought was aimed 10ft from flag was actually 45ft from flag

I know my numbers are off by a few decimals, but I didnt feel like calculating the numbers on an acute triangle in the second part, cos theta is easier to do on a right angle, then calculating all sides and angles on an acute angle.

• jcs89
    172 Posts
    Fri, Apr 23 2010 9:12 AM

What neil is talking about is the same thing i posted about a few weeks ago.  My aim pointer was actually a lot closer that to me than the pin and was blocked by a hill between me and the green.  The shot angle was significantly more that it appeared, causing what i thought was a well aligned shot to go several yards off target.

• borntobesting
    9,625 Posts
    Fri, Apr 23 2010 9:27 AM

Oh come on. Golf is not a rich man's sport. Give me a break. I play almost every weekend and I sure am not rich. Not even close. 

• neildiamond11790
    1,115 Posts
    Fri, Apr 23 2010 10:00 AM

Huh?  Are you on the wrong post bornto?

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Fri, Apr 23 2010 10:07 AM

jcs89:
    My aim pointer was actually a lot closer that to me than the pin and was blocked by a hill between me and the green.  The shot angle was significantly more that it appeared, causing what i thought was a well aligned shot to go several yards off target.

A good way to solve this problem is to zoom in and choose the reverse green view. It let's you see backwards down the entire fairway.

• neildiamond11790
    1,115 Posts
    Fri, Apr 23 2010 11:29 AM

behind green view is awesome. 

• mrboo
    211 Posts
    Sat, Apr 24 2010 5:00 PM

Well It seems to me it's hole 8, and hole 3 on Bali Hai that produce some wild shots. Also the tee shot on Kiawah Par 3  #umm I dunno, the back 9 before 17...a little right tendancy it seems. Just some things i've noticed. The mis hits seem amplified is all.

• borntobesting
    9,625 Posts
    Sat, Apr 24 2010 5:22 PM

neildiamond11790:

Huh?  Are you on the wrong post bornto?

No I was responding to Richard4168's comment. 

• mrboo
    211 Posts
    Sun, Apr 25 2010 6:44 AM

Another thing, the wind seems to sometimes effect the direction of the shot as soon as it leaves the ground, on perfect hits. Plus I think the wind effect is rather exaggerated anyways. I've played in sustained 30 mph winds, and it doesn't effect the ball quite as much as is represented here. I would say from about 150 yards and up, it's pretty realistic, but I've never had a 100 yard or less wedge shot move side to side by 30-40 ft. Seems like a 30mph wind on this game is comparable to a 45mph wind in real life. imo.

RSS