Moving On up

rated by 0 users
Mon, Apr 26 2010 2:31 PM (11 replies)
  • PAGES
  • Corolla52
    11 Posts
    Wed, Apr 21 2010 1:38 PM

Hi Guys,

I'm an amateur at 90.39. I'm using the WGT starters that were given. I think I need to improve. Whats the set up I need in terms of new clubs to progress?  I did buy some new balls for distance. Any help or advice is most welcoming. BTW i've only been playing since end of march 2010

Cheers

Corolla52

• Joeyola
    1,210 Posts
    Wed, Apr 21 2010 2:45 PM

Welcome Corolla.  That's a question all beginners what to know...but the answer is different depending on your skills and expectations.  Suggest you start by becoming familiar with the Getting Started and FAQs on the right of this screen.  Also, there is a thread called Pro Shop Comparison Charts in the Equipment & Avatar section of the forums...it was updated 1/27/2010.

Consider looking at the bags of better players to see what they use...some clubs are not available until you reach that tier.  You can also rent clubs...but it takes time to get use to new equipment so if you need to rent clubs for more than a few days, consider buying them. 

Suggest equipping your bag with clubs that have similar characteristics.  Comparable meter speeds between clubs is a plus and try not to have large gaps in distance.  With balls, keep in mind that they can be lost and they will wear out so you'll need to buy them over and over which can be expensive...but they can make a difference.     

Joey

• danohi50
    1,020 Posts
    Wed, Apr 21 2010 2:50 PM

For now...get a really good putter...the anser is more precise than the spyder.

Get the most precise longest driver possible for your skillz.

Read putting distance control by nilvac and chipping by iconian.  Just type those titles in the search box---------------------------------------->

• OaktheToke
    409 Posts
    Wed, Apr 21 2010 3:01 PM

Hi Corolla52.

Equipment can become somewhat obsolete once you advance tier.  Given that, I would look to advance to the Pro tier before purchasing any equipment.  I believe the average you will need to advance is somewhere around 80.  By the looks of your scores, it would appear that you're on your way. 

If you spend money now you might regret not waiting for another week or 2 when you advance to the Pro level.  Once you hit the Pro level I would first look into buying a driver and putter.  Keep in mind the best putters and wedges available to players at the Pro level are not eclipsed in performance by any equipment offered to Master level players.

Good luck.

• TarheelsRule
    5,480 Posts
    Wed, Apr 21 2010 3:16 PM
    Corolla First use starter clubs and balls until you at least get to pro level. After you hit pro you might want to buy a better putter and a Rapture driver, don't get the whole sets because you can't buy the master level clubs until you hit master and the trade in value is low. Plus you need to learn how to play and the starter clubs are what you need to learn. Be patient and get better with skill, only upgrade equipment when you can no longer compete.
  • dorkfeatures
    712 Posts
    Thu, Apr 22 2010 5:17 AM

Hi Corolla,

Firstly you dont need new clubs to progress !!

To be perfectly honest you dont need to upgrade anything right now. For you to improve is very simple - its called practice, and plenty of it. 

You will be able to advance through to the Pro Tier very easily with what you have. So save your money till later on.

Once you have worked your way up into the Pro Tier and learnt a little about how this game works - then you might want to have a look at upgrading.

It is foolish to work your way up through the tiers as fast as possible. You need to have a good solid all round game, and that will take you some time to achieve - so dont be in any rush.

WARNING - DO NOT PLAY 9 HOLE ROUNDS all the time. That is the fastest way to get to the top. Even worse would be to play them on the easiest courses !! A good score on 9 holes is doubled to calculate your rating (based on 18 hole round) - so be warned.

There are heaps of players here who have achieved Master in a very short time - only to find all of a sudden, that their game actually isnt really up to it - and the fun goes out of it very quickly. Then the complaining starts ... OK??

So - get practicing, and good luck with it.

Cheers 

Doug

• Snaike
    3,678 Posts
    Thu, Apr 22 2010 9:42 AM

dorkfeatures:

It is foolish to work your way up through the tiers as fast as possible. You need to have a good solid all round game, and that will take you some time to achieve - so dont be in any rush.

There are heaps of players here who have achieved Master in a very short time - only to find all of a sudden, that their game actually isnt really up to it - and the fun goes out of it very quickly. Then the complaining starts ... OK??

Amen... preach it, brother Doug!

To Corolla....  Took me over a year to make Master.  Learned the game with the clubs I had (Tour Starters) and an upgraded putter.  Finally made Master and my scoring hasn't changed that much...  maybe added 1 point to my average since... (btw, still play with freebie balls mostly)

Point is, learn the game, learn the clubs and what you can (and can't) do with them.  When you are comfortable with what you have and know, really KNOW, you need to try something different, look at upgrading.

And, like Doug says above, don't be in a hurry.  There is no magical secret to life that is given to you when you make Master.. you get a couple hundred credits, pushed back 20 - 50 yards and made to look silly when some Hack or Amatuer outdrives you with his beginner gear even with the best gear in your pocket.

Peace.

• dorkfeatures
    712 Posts
    Fri, Apr 23 2010 6:50 PM

@ snaike,

Hey Bro - I'm with you.

Cheers

• hittheballsally
    2 Posts
    Sat, Apr 24 2010 9:58 AM

I started playing WGT just wacking the ball around to get the feel. Now I'm somewhat hooked and want to advance. What bothers me is that I'm now stuck with a score of 129.87 as a result of playing carelessly. Is there a way that i can wipe the slate clean without changing my username?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Neil

• WGTniv
    1,788 Posts
    Sat, Apr 24 2010 12:05 PM

Hi Neil,

Just keep playing and it'll come way down. Your average is a rolling average and only takes into account your best 10 of your last 14 rounds.  Once you get enough rounds in you'll push the worst scores right out of the calculation.  =)

• PAGES
RSS