Forums

Help › Forums

Wedges

Wed, Jul 14 2010 1:12 PM (7 replies)
  • NikolajK
    36 Posts
    Tue, Apr 13 2010 10:41 AM

OK - so I have been advised to loose the 3 Hybrid and instead carry a total of 4 wedges. I'm not sure about that yet. From playing with the Rapture Pro driver and 3 wood, I think I might need the 3 Hybrid every now and then.

However, I need new wedges, and I need some help for that. I have the Rapture V2 Pro iron set, so I have one good wedge (PW = 110 yards)

1. So if I go for 3 more wedges, which distances should I choose?

2. And if I only go for 2 more wedges, which distances should I then choose.

3. Do I need to go as low as 50 yards?

4. Will one of these wedges be a 100% repalcement for my SW? I'm asking this because in real life the SW is slight differently constructed.

Anyone wanna give me some good advise? I do prefer Ping wedges, but I'm open to any suggstions.

Thanks in advance. 

• villadeoro
    419 Posts
    Tue, Apr 13 2010 11:08 AM

hi niko, i tell my wedges and why.

i have three wedges:

1º Taylormade z satin tp pro 54º it made 98 yards, 80 yards with punch

2º Taylormade z satin tp pro 60º, it made 77 yards, 63 with punch

3 Taylormade z satin tp pro 64º, it made 50 yards, 41 with punch

I prefer satin pro because i play normally with spin down and this clubs had a lot of spin to stop ball in green. And select too because with distance (full and punch) i have all distance behind 40-100 yards, near full shot.

Its easy for me to select a strong and meter goes not fast, only need a good direction, lol. i hope that i help you with your question but if you see an equipment of others players, you can see more differents wedges and reasons. Good luck

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Tue, Apr 13 2010 12:03 PM

Villadeoro's setup is what I have except I use the 105 Satin (52 degree) punches 98 as the 4th wedge with Pings (my 3rd wedge is actually the 90 yd version of v's) and the 110 Satin with the TMs.   This way, when I only carry 3 wedges I can swap the 4th wedge for the HB and not lose at the bottom end. The yardage gaps between the different shots is what you should look at. Try to avoid big ones  under 110 yards.

Get the 64 Wedge 1st. You will not be sorry. The Ping is a little longer than the Satin.

• Richard4168
    4,309 Posts
    Wed, May 12 2010 11:05 AM

Switching gears for a moment,

I'm having to hit my wedges with more power from the ruff or traps. In past rounds, it was much less power.

For example, a 15 yard punch from the ruff would be around 50% of power or less, and the ball would roll within 2', now the ball lands 5 to7 yards short with the same power. It's the same for bunker shots too. I'm adjusting accordingly, I just wonder if there's a wedge bug. I'm sure there isn't, but I can tell there's a definite difference with the Taylormade wedges anyway.

Is it just me, or is anyone else experiencing this?

• griffygriff
    597 Posts
    Wed, May 12 2010 11:36 AM

I've set up the same as villadeoro, with the ping pro irons i don't think you have a choice

• jakestanfill7
    949 Posts
    Wed, May 12 2010 2:09 PM

With the rapture set you might consider keeping the hybrid but it is extremely advantageous scoring around the greens with 4 total wedges.

I have similar logic to villadeoro about wedge set up to close every gap.  I use ping g10s irons and ping Tour Wedge masters.

PW- 115, punch 98,pitch 39, chip 22

56 deg- 105 punch 87, flop 39, pitch 34, chip 17,

60 deg- 85, punch 71, flop 29, pitch 25, chip 12

64 deg 60, punch 49, flop 19, pitch 17, chip 7

Put all this together and I have a shot for 115, 105, 98, 87, 85, 71, 60, 49, 39, 29, 25, 22, 19, 17, 12, 7.

• AlaCowboy
    1,321 Posts
    Wed, May 12 2010 5:53 PM

YankeeJim:

Villadeoro's setup is what I have except I use the 105 Satin (52 degree) punches 98 as the 4th wedge with Pings (my 3rd wedge is actually the 90 yd version of v's) and the 110 Satin with the TMs.   This way, when I only carry 3 wedges I can swap the 4th wedge for the HB and not lose at the bottom end. The yardage gaps between the different shots is what you should look at. Try to avoid big ones  under 110 yards.

Get the 64 Wedge 1st. You will not be sorry. The Ping is a little longer than the Satin.

I agree on the 64 Satin. It took me some time to get the fast meter down but I save 2 or 3 strokes a round with it.

• KingOfTheCourse
    419 Posts
    Wed, Jul 14 2010 1:12 PM

I have all the wedges for Ping Pro and Satin Pro.  Ideally you want to cover 3 distances 100, 75, and 50 yards.  Here's the distances

Taylormade Satin Pro:                               Ping Pro W wedges

54 = 98 yards                                               52 = 100

60 = 77 yards                                               60 = 75

64 = 50 yards                                               64 =  60

I find the best thing to do is have 5 wedges ( the ones underlined and bolded above).  I always carry the 64 Satin but I switch between the Pings & the Satins based on which course I am playing.  So at one time I always have 4 wedges in my back ( 4 counting my PW)

The difference between the two brands is really the spin and distance.  Forgiveness really means nothing for wedges.  Satin will spin more so I find it much better on faster greens (BP & Oakmont).  However the Ping's with the 64 satin will launch lower (because you're carrying a 52) and have less spin.  So on slower greens and higher winds I use that set up.  Hope I confused you.

-King

RSS