Forums

Help › Forums

Is Andrews too easy?

Thu, Apr 1 2010 10:02 AM (30 replies)
  • OaktheToke
    409 Posts
    Wed, Mar 31 2010 6:08 AM

YankeeJim:
    Heh-Do you really think Kia B9 is easier to pound out low 30s than SA? I don't think so. What hole on SA compares to Kia17?
    #2 at SA because the green is tough.  Downhill slope on the landing spot and heavily sloped around the tin.  Its the hardest hole to score at SA for me unless I get an awesome tailwind so that I can hit a 64W that won't release much.  Even tap ins are dicey.  I suppose this might change when they move the pin.  #8 isn't a peach either.

#17 at Kia isn't that tough for me.  The green is very straightforward except for the front left and the rough and bunkers on the left are easy to get up and down.  The bad spot is obviously the water and you have to miss real bad in order to dunk it unless you get a deviation.

Kia B9 has 2 par 5's.  I think both 9 holes are pretty close in ease of play but I'd give Kia B9 the slight edge for me in terms of easy scoring opportunities.  I guess the tiebreaker for me is the fairways.  There are no tight spots or bad bounces into to rough at Kia like you get on the plinko board that is some of the SA fairways.   

Different strokes for different folks though, so I can see someone else feeling SA is easier for them.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Wed, Mar 31 2010 6:21 AM

OaktheToke:
    #2 at SA because the green is tough.  Downhill slope on the landing spot and heavily sloped around the tin

I agree so I've been trying something different there. I play the hole as if the pin is sitting on top of that rise before the pin. Landing it there with backspin gets it to a 3 ft circle. The new problem that shows up is if you leave it short on that hill you have a really tricky downhill putt. 

1,644 Posts
    Wed, Mar 31 2010 6:23 AM

YankeeJim:
    The new problem that shows up is if you leave it short on that hill you have a really tricky downhill putt. 
    Or actually even worse if you're the right distance but wrong line.... talk about going on a bender!

• eternalspirit
    255 Posts
    Wed, Mar 31 2010 6:32 AM

YankeeJim:
    What hole on SA compares to Kia17?

hole #2

even though i have eagled #2 4 times (fluke) i seem to struggle to birdie it more than kia #17. also SA #8 is a tough green

i believe SA is easier than Kia B9 on moderate winds but i prefer kia B9 on high winds. i shoot more 29's on kia than SA in RG's

• marioh
    1,055 Posts
    Wed, Mar 31 2010 6:44 AM

eternalspirit:

i shoot more 29's on kia than SA in RG's

That would make sense considering the vastly different wind speeds (moderate opposed to heavy) and green speed (fast vs very fast).

I suspect if the conditions were the same for both courses, you'd have similar scores for both with perhaps a slight edge in overall average at STA.

• ghettocop1
    259 Posts
    Wed, Mar 31 2010 7:32 AM

Interesting conversation with good tips.  I agree with The Toke regarding SA fairways.  I play this game in a weird way to some I guess, whereas I base everything off of my tee-shot and Fairway position.  I like to be in a very certain place on every hole at KI on the initial drive.  This is a straightforward procedure for me at KI.  SA, on the other hand is a total crapshoot as far as drives.  The surface of the moon fairways can put you anywhere no matter how good the shot.  As I said earlier, I can shoot decent scores at SA if I play it a few times in a row, but if I play it after being absent for a while, I suck.  KI I can pretty much play cold and score O.K.

• jayjonbeach
    689 Posts
    Wed, Mar 31 2010 4:26 PM

Yeah #2 at Andy's is a bast*rd, always ruins the score I could of had.  Not having problems on #8 unless I hit too hard and run off, putting seems okay but still a tough bird hole overall. 

The big difference for me other than putting which I stated already (Andy's greens easier in general) is HITTING the fairways is also WAY easier, the fairways are the width of 3 BPB fairways for example or even way more on some, you have to really mishit to hit rough, or play the heavy winds which the other courses just dont have of course but I assume we are trying to compare apples to apples. 

Also, 5 and 9 are extremely good eagle chances every single time through, you can't say that about any hole at Kia, not in the same way, I dont remember PUTTING for Eagle at Kia, maybe once I dont know, happens all the time at Andy's.

For all those reasons I give a BIG edge to Andy's with of course Back of Kia next.

• raidermatt1
    96 Posts
    Wed, Mar 31 2010 5:20 PM
    Andys is definetly much easier, however that would be different if WGT would just put everyone on the black tees for all courses.
  • dorkfeatures
    712 Posts
    Wed, Mar 31 2010 6:43 PM

Hi All,

Heres another take on St Andrews, for me anyway.

I kinda use it as a confidence builder. (Turned Master and bought new clubs a while back - still not got use to them completely yet)

Just playing BPB for me anyway can be a bit of a grind - you just cant afford to drop any shots, anywhere and round after round kinda does my head in a bit.

So - I play SA a few times get some good scores under my belt, feel good about my game then progress to KI - try 18 there, and build on that - then back to BPB for the ultimate challenge. Gives a bit of variety and I'm hoping it cures my lack of confidence and motivation.

I really need to get back to playing the 18 hole game more - if you cant cope with the real deal then you have no chance in any of the tournaments, which is what its all about.

Thats just me :-)

Cheers Doug

• ghettocop1
    259 Posts
    Thu, Apr 1 2010 9:37 AM

I hereby retract my assertion that I cannot play St. Andrews "cold".  I logged on this morning and after not playing the course for several days, shot a 30 right off the bat.  Pure luck mind you.  After seeing my score, I immediately shut down WGT, turned off my PC, closed and locked my office door, and left the house for several hours.  I may not return for sometime in order to savor my below 63 average for a while.  No doubt it will climb back to 65 if I attempt to play another round.

Golf is fun.

RSS