Forums

Help › Forums

Re: is there a formula to determine the break of a green?

Mon, Sep 27 2010 12:03 PM (32 replies)
  • YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Thu, Mar 18 2010 6:58 PM

Heh-Joe Carter still hasn't touched the ground between third and home. What a show-they were untouchable and fun to watch. Make the trek every year to the Skydome (Rogers Centre)  to see them vs the Yanks. Cito will do well and good riddance to that Yankee nemesis Doc!

• PhilJackson
    2 Posts
    Mon, Sep 27 2010 11:54 AM

This is meant for all clubs but you can get the putting picture from this also.

I think it makes more sense to use the arrow [aiming line]

and NOT add an extra variable to the mix, as I think it is harder when you use the "before/after" stopping the back swing approach,

and what I mean is this:

1.) I think you should always use the "arrow" to aim and ALWAYS try to stop it at "Excellent" because for one, you are conditioning yourself to make a better swing.

2.) After a while your mind will start to remember the approx. distance you hit each club and that will only change slightly from time to time but you will have somewhat of a "Constant" as in "Science"

3.) When doing it the other way, you will never really achieve that "Constant" because when you stop it before or after the center mark it takes away some of the "Power" so I think in essence you never really figure out the TRUE distance each club should be because its always changing depending on how much break you need. Therefore adding another problem to the mix. Make sense? 

And of course you control your power at the other end of the swing meter.

I have a formula sheet I made up in an excel document that I used for a while and it worked great. I may post it somewhere and am also thinking about making a video or something too about research etc.... that I have done, it would save some people some time and the learning curve.. I will give it to all of my members in my CC, so if interested send me an email. My User name is "philjackson" without the " " of course.

Good Luck, you'll need it! :)

Phil

• CharlemagneRH
    1,054 Posts
    Mon, Sep 27 2010 12:03 PM

Doublemochaman:
    Putts break less at the beginning than at the end, when they are slowing down and are highly susceptible to undulations in the green.

They will turn more at the end, but a small turn early can have a greater effect than a big turn late.

I agree with the rest, but there really is no two or three sentences that one can say in order to turn an average putter into an amazing putter.  Putting is tough.

RSS