Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Advice for new players

Sat, May 2 2020 3:57 PM (43 replies)
  • YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Wed, Feb 3 2016 4:32 PM

jjjj035:
    When I grow up (to level 90) that set of RSi2's should take care of any hybrid need I ever had, correct?

You don't need one now. You're costing yourself a 3rd wedge space. Imagine how many times you would use that wedge vs how many times you use that HB in a round. The wedge adds 5 more shot yardages to your short game.

The 3W punches out of rough well enough to get you back in play where that wedge becomes useful.  :-)

• alanti
    10,564 Posts
    Thu, Feb 4 2016 1:16 AM

Great to see so many great replies and tips from very good players and players I respect.

It would be nice if WGT pinned this as a reference for those newer players....and even those of us who are not so new.

There are some great hints in the forums, especially if you search, but having them in one post is great.

When I tried to improve many players offered help. players like gr8tflbob, Lizard69........I could name dozens (oops, I just broke the cardinal rule - twice) and top players were willing to play with me, something I have always done (not that I am a top player).

• Nicole161106
    281 Posts
    Thu, Feb 4 2016 2:03 AM

Best advice for new or old players is three simple words, take your time.

Let your computer settle down between shots, if you use Maxthon just look at the cpu, let it go down to around 10% or so before you hit.

If you use another browser then open task manager and minimize the cpu reading and put it in the bottom right corner, wait till it has settled down before you hit.

Also, hate to be pedantic but the OP stating that you can't chip from 40/50 rough is wrong, though probably good advice for new players.

There are many places, notably at PB, where you can chip from 40/50 rough and hole out, as long as you are very close to the green/fringe this is possible.

• PETERGEORGE1
    572 Posts
    Thu, Feb 4 2016 3:16 AM

What a great thread this is.   I would just like to add practice and experiment driving with full back spin on certain holes.   The extra loft can avoid some traps and you get less roll on landing so this can also avoid rolling into rough sand etc.

The extent of this depends on driver/ball combination but well worth experimenting with as the rewards are very good.

• pipala
    887 Posts
    Thu, Feb 4 2016 4:59 AM

Some great advice there and it's great to see the punch shot advocated.

It's surprising how few players I know use the punch, it can be such a lethal shot when you get used to it. A friend of mine from my old CC got in touch with me a few days ago exasperated with his game from 50-100yds out. I advised him to start punching and he has already noticed a marked improvement in his approach play

• lonniescott711
    4,182 Posts
    Tue, Sep 27 2016 2:50 PM

There is still much to go over so lets go .After seeing some other threads I wanted to restart this one as it was so much fun so here we go .

Understanding the Game and its Variables ;

When playing the game you may wonder just what the heck is happening with your shots . But if you ever have played real golf or watched a tournament then you know that there is no such thing as perfect all of the time . So when playing the game you will hit and see the following types of shots or variables ;

#1 Player hits a good shot and gets the results of a good shot .

#2 Player hits a bad shot and gets the results of a bad shot .

#3 Player hits what looks to be a good shot and gets the results of a bad shot .

#4 Player hits what looks to be a bad shot but gets the results of a good shot .

From tee to green these types of shots will be experienced as you play . Your game will go from good and great to bad and fck in just a few short strokes . Now this is when the player accusations of cheating by WGT will come into play . There are plenty of threads ranting and venting from players ( myself included ) that have been posted and all were wrong .

As you play the game will get tougher and harder to play as you progress up the tiers . The game will alter the performance of your clubs and the peremeters of the game . In other words changing the outcome of your shots . This is all done through what is known as the Vem/ deviation . This is what will cause you to have one of the above shot variables that are listed . Just like in real golf you get to hit the ball to the best of your ability but the outcome is totally out of your hands .

So when you hit that shot that you thought was perfect but got the bad outcome now you know why . Its not the game cheating you its just the application of the deviation . This is something that we all go through and learn to over come just like in the real game . This is also by design to make the game more of a challenge . So dont throw your hands up and quit playing the game just play through it and play another round .

I`m stopping here for other players feedback and contributions . Also I dont want this to be a long winded post so let the next player fire away . I will be back later to continue and add more to the thread .

• lonniescott711
    4,182 Posts
    Wed, Jan 17 2018 9:57 AM

Bumping this for new players visiting the forums .

• AlexBorgesjr
    1,297 Posts
    Tue, Oct 2 2018 6:23 PM

Need to take medication before playing lol / not after lol

• Lutjanid
    697 Posts
    Tue, Oct 2 2018 7:11 PM

I see a lot of new players playing Ready-Go's and Brackets when they really have no chance. Don't waste your credits. You need to be shooting 6-7 under for 9 and  10-15 under for 18 on a regular basis before you jump into the Open Field Tournaments.

Play in all the free stuff and perhaps look for paid tourneys that are in your Tier. The more you play the better you get. Find a good Country Club you can ask questions and this will shorten the learning curve a lot. Use the search feature on the forums to look up things like spin/use, pitching, flopping etc.

If you still want to throw your 50/100 credits away on the RG's then that's fine. This is after all a hobby and if that floats your boat then by all means have a dip. :-)

• lonniescott711
    4,182 Posts
    Wed, Oct 3 2018 6:17 AM

lonniescott711:

Bumping this for new players visiting the forums .

RSS