Forums

Help › Forums

Advice for new players

Sat, May 2 2020 3:57 PM (43 replies)
  • lonniescott711
    4,182 Posts
    Mon, Feb 1 2016 8:02 PM

Now lets get serious about the game . If you intend to stay and play you will need to learn these three (3) things :

SHOT SELECTION ; Every shot you take wont be a grip it and rip it shot .The (3) most important shots in the game are flop , pitch and punch shots . Sometimes you wont have the luxury of using a full wedge into the green .You may find the best option is to lay up to attack the pin . They are the key shots to use on your approach shots .Once properly learned you will have more birdie opportunities and eagles too on par5s and that is good .

COURSE MANAGEMENT : Every course plays differently . Some will play long and others short . You will have to learn each course hole by hole and how they play  . From tee to green every hole will play different so dont expect to play them all the same . So take your time and learn each course as well as each hole .

APPROACH- How to attack the pin : This is where the game will make or break you . If you dont know how to attack the pin then you wont know how to win . This is a very critical part of your game and is second only to putting . In fact this is what will make your putting easier . It will start off as trial and error .

You will have to learn through playing as to where to place the ball when attacking the pin on your approach shots . Left or right of the pin , long or short as well you will have to learn . Knowing this will make your putts easier or harder and the difference as to whether you win or lose . 

PRACTICE: This is what most if not all players hate to do . But if you truly want to get good at your game it is greatly needed . this is when you will learn all of the above . You will also need it in order to learn your clubs as well as how to hit your shots .Single play stroke play practice rounds using the mulligan and also use the free ball as much as possible .

From tee to greens you will need to practice . From driving to putting your entire game you will work on through practice , Dont hate doing it because this is when you will learn your mistakes and how to correct them . Good luck with your game . Play well and have fun . :-)

• hpurey
    11,505 Posts
    Mon, Feb 1 2016 10:45 PM

One of the most important things that I would want new players to do is....

Visit the forums.  This is an awesome thread started by MM but will only help those who actually find the forums and read it.  

Oh, and one other tip,   don't ever think that the shot type or club choice given by the caddie is the best shot.  It's just a starting point for selecting your shot.  

• MainzMan
    9,586 Posts
    Mon, Feb 1 2016 10:52 PM

alanti:

Oh congrats on Champ status......no wonder I get ignored now!

Thanks Alan.  And ignore you?  No way mate.

There's another tip for new players.  When you're setting up a multi player game, never reject high tier players.  You'll learn a lot playing with someone legend or above, they've probably been here a while and will be able to advice you on shot selection if you want.

Thanks to those posting here, it's nice to see so many positive and helpful replies  : )

• siggipj76
    2,989 Posts
    Mon, Feb 1 2016 11:13 PM

Great post MM

Should make it a sticky , then maybe we will see less people complain about issues that are player related and not wgt's

• liam91
    3,130 Posts
    Mon, Feb 1 2016 11:49 PM

garyk49:
     Learn when to pull the pin.

excellant advice,i'm at nearly 500 "hit the flagstick" stats

maybe i should learn to do it...lol

Mike

• siggipj76
    2,989 Posts
    Tue, Feb 2 2016 12:08 AM

liam91:

garyk49:
     Learn when to pull the pin.

excellant advice,i'm at nearly 500 "hit the flagstick" stats

maybe i should learn to do it...lol

Mike

Doubt you will mike ;)

• bubbsboy
    6,879 Posts
    Tue, Feb 2 2016 3:16 AM

When starting out think course management. Until you learn short game think this.

Certain holes i.e Chambers 1st. If wind not in favour then think 3rd shot . Take enough off 2nd to leave full 60 yard wedge. Same with St. Andrews 1st if pin at front.

You are sometimes better of not creaming 3 wood second shots. Use your 3 iron to put that ball in the best place.

Bubbs

• SeabrookFlash
    463 Posts
    Tue, Feb 2 2016 5:30 AM

What a great forum post. Solid information and many thanks to you all who take the time to post useful information like this instead of some of the useless stuff that is often posted.

One thing I would like to add is that playing with better players can be very helpful. Most better players are very willing and able to share information and give advice to new players. I enjoy playing with better players just to see the potential of where my game can go.  One thing I would like to say is  DO NOT be embarrassed  by your game when playing someone who is better than you.  I have encountered many players who for whatever reason are apologetic when playing a game with a player with more experience.  My advice is to enjoy the game at your level. When I play with a player with less experience, I know that before the game begins and am willing to share info , or give advice , if asked. Sometimes I might make a suggestion but will always answer any questions to the best of my ability.  I know that there are many golfers here who are way better than I am and am thankful for the help that I have gotten from you all.  I have gone way farther in this game than I ever thought I could. Mostly due to the help and encouragement of  better players.   

• PaulTon
    10,731 Posts
    Tue, Feb 2 2016 5:48 AM

bubbsboy:
    You are sometimes better of not creaming 3 wood second shots. Use your 3 iron to put that ball in the best place.

That's a great point, course management means not trying to hit the maximum distance every time, it's true for driving as well on some courses, Merion and Olympic immediately come to mind.

It's golf, brain beats brawn every time.

• andyson
    6,415 Posts
    Tue, Feb 2 2016 7:57 AM

But I do feel good when I get "That's a HUGE drive"....

just before my ball hops into the 40-50!

RSS