Forums

Help › Forums

Re: how to handle quiters

rated by 0 users
Sat, Sep 19 2009 11:32 PM (50 replies)
  • danohi50
    1,020 Posts
    Fri, Sep 18 2009 2:42 PM

Here is an easy painless fix...If you drop from a game regardless of the reasons..YOu cannot play another round untill you have finished the one you started...while the person who gets quit on  has to finish the round alone...You will have the satisfaction of knowing this quiter has to finish  this rnd eventually if they want to ever start playing any new matches!!  8P'''BRILLIANT!

• Snaike
    3,678 Posts
    Sat, Sep 19 2009 1:10 PM

Better idea... if you don't want to play with quitters, join the WGTLS ladder.

Just stop whining about them.  Qutting doesn't matter in WGT.

• nivlac
    2,188 Posts
    Sat, Sep 19 2009 1:42 PM

This subject is getting old and tiresome.  Really.  So much wasted effort here.

In all this time, the only thing WGT has to say about quitting is that "they are working on ways to deter it."  That was 6 months ago, and here we are today.   What does that mean?  It means right now WGT couldn't give a flying you know what about it.  If they thought it was a major problem we would've already had a system in place a long long time ago.  Everyone should be intelligent enough to realize that is WGT's current stand, so any further complaints on the subject amount to whining at a brick wall.  After all, you're not telling them anything new are you?  No.  Do you think your post will suddenly make them work faster to institute something?  No.  This is the current lay of the land and we must all deal with it as is.

Quitters aren't going away anytime soon and let's not delude ourselves into thinking that some magical system is waiting just around the corner to fix everything.  Might I remind you all that we're still shooting at the same pins we were last year.  Instead of repeatedly banging your head against a brick wall, whining about a dead topic (it is dead, WGT's not replying/doing anything about it are they?), do yourself a favor and find a way to find people who won't quit (ladders, friends etc) instead of wasting everyone's time with more useless repetitive threads like this. 

Again, I repeat, WGT is well aware of quitting, so any further complaints are no more than selfish indulgences at this point.  Why would you report something if it's already been reported and acknowledged a thousand times over?  Just to hear (see) your voice?

Future quitting threads should be locked immediately and appended with the official WGT statement.

"We are working on ways to deter quitters.  Thank you for your patience in this matter."

There is no valuable conversation here and no ideas are being exchanged.  All we have here are arguments and flaming from two groups of people on polar opposite sides of the spectrum.  No good will come of continuing to let these threads just carry on indefinitely.  Do us a favor WGT and lock these threads please!  We know you are aware of the problem and we know you're gonna fix it eventually.  No further discussion is warranted or necessary until something finally changes.

*edit*  FYI, this is what's called a "divisive thread".  It's a moderator nightmare and it's a top "lock" candidate on any forum, regardless of subject matter.  In other words, nobody is right, nobody is wrong, but everyone has a vastly different opinion.  We might as well be talking politics, religion or sports because in the end, we're not really going to convince each other of anything.  The only thing this thread can possibly do now, is further cement the divide between the two groups involved.  That's why it should be locked.

• Snaike
    3,678 Posts
    Sat, Sep 19 2009 2:21 PM

^^^BRAVO, Nivlac, BRAVO!!!^^^

• edchavez
    488 Posts
    Sat, Sep 19 2009 2:30 PM

WTF! LMFAO THATS FUNNY, SNAIKE!

• andyson
    6,415 Posts
    Sat, Sep 19 2009 6:20 PM

Well said niviac and spot on target.

Please WGT, lock these threads.

• igiveup
    110 Posts
    Sat, Sep 19 2009 9:13 PM

I really am amazed by how much has been written about this topic. This is a game for fun.... its a user pays service for most... free for some... if people want to quit... let them... it doesn't worry me....

WGT is a game for fun..... so don't get stressed..

• Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Sat, Sep 19 2009 9:27 PM

nivlac:
    Future quitting threads should be locked immediately

I disagree. That would not be the correct, professional moderator's response.

Nivlac, you can't resolve an issue troubling many people by forbidding people to talk about it. That's what Communist dictators used to do in my country.

The professional moderator's attitude and task would be: merge all quitters threads into one, and only allow all quitters discussion to continue in that single thread. No one could possibly object to that, and everyone could easily ignore that single irksome thread.

nivlac:
    There is no valuable conversation here and no ideas are being exchanged.

Again, strongly disagree. Please take a look at that thread from 2 days ago, where me & Marioh were discussing the very interesting score extrapolation suggestion. That was some true, civilized discourse there; even WGTadmin Himself chimed in with some fascinating, hopeful feedback.  Dobre!

Other than that, Nivlac, I sent another reply to your post HERE. (It was a late edit, just as your post above it was a late edit.)  Chameleón

• nivlac
    2,188 Posts
    Sat, Sep 19 2009 9:58 PM

Faterson:
    Nivlac, you can't resolve an issue troubling many people by forbidding people to talk about it . That's what Communist dictators used to do in my country.

Have the people not already spoken a countless number of times?  Have the complaints not been acknowledged and noted by WGT?  How is this communism exactly?  *puzzles*

I'm disappointed that you would liken me to a communist dictator just to further your point that what has been discussed ad-nauseum must be discussed more.  Indeed.  And you wonder why folks get upset with you now and again.

All that needs to be said has been said.  Anything else that needs to be said should be taken up with WGT via email, not on the forum where it will most certainly deteriorate into the same old argument.  "I hate quitters.  Quitting doesn't matter.  You suck.  No, you do."  That's why the threads would be locked and that is exactly the appropriate response to an issue like this.  The only thing I'd be forbidding are insults traded among users about a divisive topic.  Sounds like wasted cyberspace to me.

Faterson:
    Please take a look at that thread from 2 days ago, where me & Marioh were discussing the very interesting score extrapolation suggestion . That was some true, civilized discourse there; even WGTadmin Himself chimed in with some fascinating, hopeful feedback.

You mean the one where by page 3 people are referring to each other as immoral monkeys?  I'd call that an exchange of insults, not ideas.  That only serves to further my point.  It always degenerates.  I've seen it too many times now.  Time to nip it before it does.  Learn from the past, etc etc.  Also, what was written in that thread by wgtadmin that was fascinating?  All I see is the company line and a missed opportunity to lock out the madness before it began. 

Your score extrapolation idea could've easily been submitted via email instead of on the forum, considering we all know how "hot" the topic is and we'd all be doing each other (and WGT) a favor in avoiding it.  We owe them better than to clog up their forum and their server space with our nonsense.

Finally, I'm not a moderator here nor am I even in the interview chair.  So why exactly am I being compared/judged to a real moderator again?

• Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Sat, Sep 19 2009 10:38 PM

nivlac:
    So now I'm being likened to a communist, eh?

You definitely aren't! Whatever made you think of that? I said that a measure that you were advocating was a favourite measure of Communist dictators, but that does not mean I am "likening" you, personally, to anyone.  Šťastie

nivlac:
    You mean the one where by page 3 people are referring to each other as immoral monkeys?

I was not referring you to page 3 of that thread. I said specifically, please take a look at me & Marioh discussing the score extrapolation suggestion. That was an example of civil discourse, examining an aspect of the quitting issue that has apparently never been examined before. The discussion was perfectly civil as long as I was there; it looks like as soon as I departed, and after Snaike got inside the doorframe, all hell broke loose in that formerly civilized thread.  Nechápem

nivlac:
    Also, what was written in that thread by wgtadmin that is fascinating?

His renewed commitment, on behalf of WGT, to combat the quitters issue.

nivlac:
    Your score extrapolation idea could easily be submitted via email instead of on the forum

Not just as well. A discussion forum is the ideal venue to discuss possible solutions of long-standing issues. Many users may chip in and help improve the submitted suggestion(s). Besides, Nivlac, it wasn't me who posted the extrapolation idea; it was rlsj13, and I'm confident in saying that my & Marioh's analyzing the idea under a microscope was far more beneficial for the development of that idea, than if rlsj13 simply emailed it to WGT privately.

nivlac:
    So why exactly am I being compared/judged to a real moderator again?

Again, you're being neither judged nor compared to anyone. It was you who started talking about what (the non-existing) moderators should have done with these quitters threads. I simply expressed an opposing view: moderators shouldn't lock these quitters threads, but merge them into a single thread, forever.

nivlac:
    Even the text is red.

It isn't. I detest the Soviet red colour; that is this one. Instead, I use this colour, which is dark red, or crimson. It was the favourite colour of the person in my avatar, who claimed that dark-red was the colour of life, vivacity & passion.  Šťastie

RSS