Help › Forums

Re: Problem with A-Hole

Thu, Nov 20 2014 3:26 PM (29 replies)
  • MBaggese
    15,367 Posts
    Tue, Oct 21 2014 8:37 AM

PRStevenson:

MBaggese:
    PR...this hole has played the same since I have been here...there is a fine line to go left on it...always was, alway will be, other option is to try to go over to the righ of the trap and fecue, and hope you can reach the 20/25 rough, or deal with the 30/40 rough.

Hi Baggese, no you're not the A-Hole lol and by the way that dinosaur comment wasn't aimed at you either. I wrote that repsonse even before I'd read your post. It's just a pretty common response to say well the problem has always been there so put up with it rather than fix it.

I agree it is a fine line to play that side but it's still an option for a player to take. Currently if you try playing down the left you'll see it's not a perspective thing, the ball can land in the middle of the fairway and be OB. In reality at the real St Andrews Old Course at H4 that it IS a perfectly viable option to play the left side, therefore why should it not be in this virtual game?

My belief is that it is nothing more than an oversight. If WGT know about it they can probably get on and correct it. End of story.

It may not ever change but that would be more to do with the attitude of WGT than whether it should be changed or not. Sorry if my tone seems abrupt I'm just very surprised and disappointed that I'm getting a lot of resistance and little support to something that would make the game better.

Didn't take it that way;)

Oh, and I'm wrong on all accounts...I had the back 9 par 5 in mind.

Note to self:

Read all of the post before responding....

• alosso
    21,037 Posts
    Tue, Oct 21 2014 8:43 AM

PRStevenson:
    Should IS valid here! It's not a debate it's a fact.
    As far as my knowledge in linguistic goes, "should" is subjunctive and as such not a fact.

PRStevenson:
    As for pictures and perspective, you could make a very weak arguement that perhaps WGT don't have the images to render that part of the course therefore they made it 'out of bounds'.

This I have in mind and I stand to it.

And "could" is as far away from facts as "should" is :)

Our positions are clear and controversial. I'm not going to insist any further, and your questionable pseudo "arguments" against my person support that decision.

Formally, I agree to disagree.

Enjoy your day.

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Tue, Oct 21 2014 9:37 AM

alosso:
    "should"

Ah Yes...old "Shoulda-Coulda-Woulda" The Three Stooges

• PRStevenson
    842 Posts
    Tue, Oct 21 2014 9:37 PM

CerinoDevoti:
    The guy you played had to have done something wrong to end up so short left and OB.

Thanks for checking it out, I appreciate the feedback. I was helping out 2 amateur players in a skins game, their clubs were fairly basic and one of them had set tees and conditions a bit too tough.

The guy that played his ball OB didn't do anything wrong he just went for what he thought was the safer/better option.

CerinoDevoti:
    I did notice when you move the curser on the mini map, it does indicate OB as the curser will not stay in that area.

I know what you mean, if you try to pull your cursor over to the far left it won't let you but it's also possible to put it on much of the fairway without straying too far left. A good indicator would be to put a crosshatch or grid pattern overlap on the minimap area of the course where the ball is not playable.

CerinoDevoti:
    Is it possible that because that area of the other fairway is so close to it's approaching green that it is OB (IRL) so the players in that fairway don't get a ball in the teeth?

It's a plausible idea but having checked that it's playable at the real St Andrews and WGT are trying to simulate those courses accurately I don't think this is the case. Far more likely that it's simply a programming oversight, which could and hopefully will be fixed.

• PRStevenson
    842 Posts
    Tue, Oct 21 2014 10:21 PM

alosso:
    As far as my knowledge in linguistic goes, "should" is subjunctive and as such not a fact.

linguistics; plural not singular.

"should" subjunctive used appropriately in that sentence to express my opinion.

Fact! That stretch of fairway is playable at St Andrews (the REAL one).

Context - WGT is trying to provide us with a game that is a virtual model which simulates the realism of those courses.

alosso:
    And "could" is as far away from facts as "should" is :)

"could" accurately expresses the hypothetical counter-argument. It's got nothing to do with the fact stated above.

The only thing you've made clear, it would seem is that a) you're confused by this thread and the language used (or pretending to be) and b) you're on a personal mission to argue about everything and anything. Not only do you attempt to confuse what's being said but you deliberately take comments out of context and spin them.

There's playing devil's advocate most of the time and then there's just being a forum troll with an axe to grind.

...and I was beginning to think you've helped give the title of this thread new meaning. Respectfully let's drop this in-fighting and allow others to pick up on the more productive comments made in this thread.

Agreeing to disagree.

Enjoy your day :)

• mantis0014
    8,946 Posts
    Wed, Oct 22 2014 1:51 AM

PRStevenson:
    The parameters have been set wrong by WGT. I went and checked the official site for St Andrews and it IS playable down that side, so WGT have got it wrong.

We have to be careful when checking official websites and relating the same with Wgt. For it be playable then Wgt would have to make a major change with their programs, as St.A was one of the first courses to come out.... I presume.

Thanks for the tip though,  didn't know that could be done. I know the Left hand fairway of St.A 17th is playable...lol

PRStevenson:

Thanks for checking it out, I appreciate the feedback. I was helping out 2 amateur players in a skins game, their clubs were fairly basic and one of them had set tees and conditions a bit too tough.

The guy that played his ball OB didn't do anything wrong he just went for what he thought was the safer/better option.

I also was getting a bit confused wondering why anybody would want to hit their shot over there. I suppose I'm a bit spoilt as most of the time (unless heavy headwinds) the big drivers will travel over that finger....   most of time, maybe a play on words.

I do understand now as you mentioned the clubs that were used.

Still very good question and some very good feedback

-Roger

• MichaelStroke
    2,066 Posts
    Mon, Oct 27 2014 2:48 PM

Finally, a thread about the A-hole and it's not about me.

• CanineSupervisor
    1,882 Posts
    Tue, Oct 28 2014 9:29 PM

MichaelStroke:

Finally, a thread about the A-hole and it's not about me.

Did you read the whole thread?  Lol !

• hpurey
    11,505 Posts
    Thu, Nov 20 2014 1:56 PM

SweetiePie:
    since the proctolgist's finger is poised and positioned for engagement.

Just make sure there is only one hand on your shoulder.  Two hands, and there's a problem!  ;-)

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Thu, Nov 20 2014 3:26 PM

hpurey:

SweetiePie:
    since the proctolgist's finger is poised and positioned for engagement.

Just make sure there is only one hand on your shoulder.  Two hands, and there's a problem!  ;-)

I heard

RSS