Help › Forums

Problem with A-Hole

Thu, Nov 20 2014 3:26 PM (29 replies)
  • CerinoDevoti
    3,232 Posts
    Mon, Oct 20 2014 7:11 PM

PRStevenson:

I hope this will change soon......  

Tell the poor chap to not hit the ball too far left on the 4th Hole. There.....it's fixed. ;)

WGT isn't going to change it.

• PRStevenson
    842 Posts
    Mon, Oct 20 2014 8:00 PM

alosso:

Excuse me: Where is this guaranteed? T&Cs? FAQs?

No.

Mini map fringes are approximate indications but not a law. There are also "good" places outside the map - see BPB #6.

You're excused. I was talking about reality. In real life this stretch of the course is playable on the 4th hole at St. Andrews. As WGT is trying to imitate those same courses and mimic reality it's farly obvious that it should be playable.

It's clear that this is not intentional but nothing more than an oversight by WGT developers in setting the parameters for boundaries on this hole.

I never mentioned WGT guaranteeing anything, so mentioning T&Cs and FAQs is irrelevant. As for BPB#6, TBH I don't know about that one an interesting fact but again that's neither here nor there.

• PRStevenson
    842 Posts
    Mon, Oct 20 2014 8:04 PM

CerinoDevoti:
    Tell the poor chap to not hit the ball too far left on the 4th Hole. There.....it's fixed. ;)

I think you're missing the point. I would prefer a solution to a workaround. It's called 'forward thinking'. Some people want to improve things.

CerinoDevoti:
    WGT isn't going to change it.

You're probably right about that but at least attention has been drawn to it, now it's just down to them. They can choose to continue to bury their heads in the sand or actually do something useful for the game.

• alosso
    21,040 Posts
    Mon, Oct 20 2014 10:44 PM

PRStevenson:
    I was talking about reality.

Excuse me, your were not.. Mentioning "mini map" limits the discussion to the virtual courses.

PRStevenson:
    In real life this stretch of the course is playable on the 4th hole at St. Andrews. As WGT is trying to imitate those same courses and mimic reality it's farly obvious that it should be playable.

I agree that this is a big difference, but there's still no guarantee to have pictures of each stretch and each perspective. "should" is not valid here.

• MBaggese
    15,367 Posts
    Mon, Oct 20 2014 10:49 PM

SweetiePie:
    The A-Hole.

And here I thought I ticked him off;)

PR...this hole has played the same since I have been here...there is a fine line to go left on it...always was, alway will be, other option is to try to go over to the righ of the trap and fecue, and hope you can reach the 20/25 rough, or deal with the 30/40 rough.

You may not agree with what Alosso is saying, but I surely don't see it ever changing.

• PRStevenson
    842 Posts
    Tue, Oct 21 2014 12:32 AM

alosso:
    Excuse me, your were not.. Mentioning "mini map" limits the discussion to the virtual courses.

Wrong again! Perhaps you need to put on your glasses and read this post again and again until you understand it. My mention of the minimap is within the context of the game but I also clearly mention that I checked out the official website for St.Andrews and with a bit of reseach found that this stretch of the course IS playable. That my friend is REALITY.

My subsequent posts make this even clearer if you were really struggling to grasp what I said.

Once again I'll say the same thing... WGT have mistakenly set the parameters wrong. It's obvious to anyone with any degree of intelligence that this was not intentional, it simply has never been addressed and has been left unchecked because most people have just made a mental note of it and played on.

alosso:
    I agree that this is a big difference, but there's still no guarantee to have pictures of each stretch and each perspective. "should" is not valid here.

You're getting yourself confused again. Should IS valid here! It's not a debate it's a fact. As for pictures and perspective, you could make a very weak arguement that perhaps WGT don't have the images to render that part of the course therefore they made it 'out of bounds'. That is highly unlikely but lets go with that. It could still be marked on the WGT minimap as unplayable.

However it's far far FAR more likely that they simply set the parameters too close. IMHO It's not bloody rocket science but it seems these days you can't suggest an improvement without some dinosaur against change objecting (because they played it that way since the dawn of time) or some troll wanting to argue over everything simply because they like to be contrary.

• PRStevenson
    842 Posts
    Tue, Oct 21 2014 12:46 AM

MBaggese:
    PR...this hole has played the same since I have been here...there is a fine line to go left on it...always was, alway will be, other option is to try to go over to the righ of the trap and fecue, and hope you can reach the 20/25 rough, or deal with the 30/40 rough.

Hi Baggese, no you're not the A-Hole lol and by the way that dinosaur comment wasn't aimed at you either. I wrote that repsonse even before I'd read your post. It's just a pretty common response to say well the problem has always been there so put up with it rather than fix it.

I agree it is a fine line to play that side but it's still an option for a player to take. Currently if you try playing down the left you'll see it's not a perspective thing, the ball can land in the middle of the fairway and be OB. In reality at the real St Andrews Old Course at H4 that it IS a perfectly viable option to play the left side, therefore why should it not be in this virtual game?

My belief is that it is nothing more than an oversight. If WGT know about it they can probably get on and correct it. End of story.

It may not ever change but that would be more to do with the attitude of WGT than whether it should be changed or not. Sorry if my tone seems abrupt I'm just very surprised and disappointed that I'm getting a lot of resistance and little support to something that would make the game better.

• zagraniczniak
    1,984 Posts
    Tue, Oct 21 2014 2:35 AM

Part of the genius of St. Andrew's is the many different approaches each hole can be played. It's not just double greens, but also double fairways. The neighboring fairway is in play and is often the smart place to maneuver your ball toward the hole.

So it's too bad this is not fully captured in WGT land.

Consider the Long Hole on the backside (the 14th). A drive to the left fairway (the 5th) is often the best play, but here it is cut dangerously narrow so that most of that fairway is out of bounds.

Contrast with Bethpage, for example: planned by a control freak, with just a single line of play on most of the holes.

Oh, and here's a replay from the 4th where you can see the ball disappearing in the middle of the 15th fairway (which is in play): http://www.wgt.com/replay.aspx?ID=54de44b5-ceb9-44a5-801a-a3cb009f076f

• CerinoDevoti
    3,232 Posts
    Tue, Oct 21 2014 7:11 AM

PRStevenson:

Sorry couldn't think of a more suitable title for this post.

Anyway. I was playing a Skins game today at St Andrews and we got to Hole 4 (Ginger Beer) and one of the guys I was playing against decided to opt to play down the left-hand side of the course to avoid risking the brush in a heavy sidewind.

Fair enough.

But I was surprised that much of that close fairway is unplayable! It doesn't show it on the minimap but if you land on a stretch of fairway that it is near the bottom three bunkers, there's a good chance WGT will put your ball 'Out of Bounds'

I went and tested it in 'practice' mode and sure enough a fair stretch of fairway is 'Out of Bounds'. The parameters have been set wrong by WGT. I went and checked the official site for St Andrews and it IS playable down that side, so WGT have got it wrong.

I hope this will change soon as the poor chap I was playing against took a perfectly good shot which stopped cleanly on the fairway having narrowly avoided the bunkers only to be penalized with an incorrect call on his ball. I know it's just a programming mistake but it would be nice to get this fixed. Thanks.  

I did a little practice mode scrounging around just to see what the situation was like as you described it. First thing I noticed is the area where it's OB is extremely short off the tee box. I played from the tips and a tee shot to go OB has to be hit shorter than about 190 yards from the tips. I was easily able to hit past that area and still be in the fairway left. I even tried it with heavy wind and was easily able to reach safe fairway left.(mulitple mulligans with the free ball) The guy you played had to have done something wrong to end up so short left and OB.

BTW, I've never played to the left there before but the approach shot is massively easier to hit close to the back pin from the left fairway position as long as you carry the big bunker fully. All in all, I learned something. :)

P.S. I did notice when you move the curser on the mini map, it does indicate OB as the curser will not stay in that area. Is it possible that because that area of the other fairway is so close to it's approaching green that it is OB (IRL) so the players in that fairway don't get a ball in the teeth? Just a thought.

• filmslayer
    2,340 Posts
    Tue, Oct 21 2014 8:18 AM

RSS