Help › Forums

Re: Really?!?!?!

rated by 0 users
Thu, Oct 2 2014 6:28 PM (17 replies)
  • PAGES
  • SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Thu, Oct 2 2014 3:41 AM

Hey Orin, take it easy on yourself. If I were to take a guess, I would say it takes most players here a good 6-months of heavy, daily, play to begin to get a handle on this game. Check this: I have over 60,000 putts, sixty thousand+ !!!, and I still am only "pretty good" at it, not great. It takes time. But the time is a challange, the time is rewarding, the time is to be enjoyed. So, enjoy! ~ SP ~

• hpurey
    11,505 Posts
    Thu, Oct 2 2014 7:37 AM

OrinBM:
    Putting uphill.  In every game I've played the uphill putts take a LOT more power.  In fact in this very game I had about an 8 foot put, 1 inch uphill, hit it a little over 8 feet, came up short.  Same game, 25 foot put, 7 inches uphill, I hit it about 30 or 33, and the ball goes 35 feet.  ??

One thing you may want to consider here, and I am by no means a great putter of this game, but my distance control is pretty darn good,  I just can't read the darn breaks! lol

Don't just go by what the elevation shows on each putt.  That putt you had that was 25ft uphill 7 inches for instance; if you were to drag your aim arrow/box back and forth from your ball to the cup, you may find that some of the line is downhill some or flat.  Or you find that it could be a gradual slope up to a final 7 inches or it may only be 3 inches for a few feet then up to 4 for a few feet then shoot up to 7 just at the cup.  

At the very least, that is how I've learned to understand why one 25ft putt with 7inches uphill may end up longer or shorter than a different 25ft putt with 7 inches uphill.

EDIT***

Here's an example...

In this video you'll see that I 'have' an 11 foot putt with 1 inch uphill elevation.  But, if I drag the aimer from ball to cup you find that the first 6 feet or so is actually 0 inches downhill then switches to 0 inches uphill just until you get to the front edge of the cup.

Also, notice how the distance reaches 11 feet before it gets to the cup.  That's because the putt is more than 11ft but less than 12ft.   When I moved the aimer to the back of the cup it shows 12 feet.  

Just a small scale example to show what I was trying to describe.  Showing that there is more to the putt than just using the information given.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Thu, Oct 2 2014 8:23 AM

SoKoSteve:
    but on a 25 footer up 7, I'd hit it 29 feet, 30 tops.  If you hit it 33, it's likely going 35 even though it's uphill.

30 won't get to the hole. 25 up 7 means you need 32 feet of power to get there. Hitting it 33 is a good play. You can verify the 7 up by following the putting line with the aimer and noting how the elevation changes along it.

• SoKoSteve
    128 Posts
    Thu, Oct 2 2014 8:52 AM

YankeeJim:

SoKoSteve:
    but on a 25 footer up 7, I'd hit it 29 feet, 30 tops.  If you hit it 33, it's likely going 35 even though it's uphill.

30 won't get to the hole. 25 up 7 means you need 32 feet of power to get there. Hitting it 33 is a good play. You can verify the 7 up by following the putting line with the aimer and noting how the elevation changes along it.

For some reason I thought the OP had mentioned Master status.  I based my reply on Tournament 11/12 greens.  A 32 hit on a 25 +7 putt is gonna go places (probably not down) on Tournament greens.  

My bad.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Thu, Oct 2 2014 10:07 AM

SoKoSteve:
    I based my reply on Tournament 11/12 greens.  A 32 hit on a 25 +7 putt is gonna go places (probably not down) on Tournament greens.  

Don't confuse the distance a putt has to roll with the power it takes to get it to roll that far. The correction for green speeds is always going to be getting the speed right. That putt still has to go 25 feet up a 7" incline.

• SoKoSteve
    128 Posts
    Thu, Oct 2 2014 6:01 PM

YankeeJim:

SoKoSteve:
    I based my reply on Tournament 11/12 greens.  A 32 hit on a 25 +7 putt is gonna go places (probably not down) on Tournament greens.  

Don't confuse the distance a putt has to roll with the power it takes to get it to roll that far. The correction for green speeds is always going to be getting the speed right. That putt still has to go 25 feet up a 7" incline.

OK, I think I understand what you're saying:

A putt with incline 7 on a 25 foot putt needs to go 32 feet.  However, it's up to you to account for green speed/downhill break at the hole and adjust your meter accordingly.

I think that's what you're saying.  I was skipping straight to the meter part.

Anyhow, OP, you'd be best just to listen to a guy who knows his stuff (Jim) rather than a relative newbie struggling to post -5.

S.

• davidemch
    6 Posts
    Thu, Oct 2 2014 6:28 PM

I played in a ready-go - legend St. Andrews - tourney # 70672 and posted a good score.  But they do not have my name anywhere on the leaderboard. Is this common, and are you just SOL with WGT?

Thanks for any help.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Fri, Oct 3 2014 6:10 AM

SoKoSteve:
    A putt with incline 7 on a 25 foot putt needs to go 32 feet.  However, it's up to you to account for green speed/downhill break at the hole and adjust your meter accordingly.

Exactly. And don't forget to look at your feet! Many putts start off on the wrong lines because players don't look down before hitting. (Oftentimes the explanation for the complaint that the putt took off at an angle.)

Look at the first 3rd and the last 3rd of a putting line. The first 3rd is affected by the speed of the putt going through it and the last 3rd is affected by the ball slowing down and grabbing more break.

• PAGES
RSS