Help › Forums

Really?!?!?!

rated by 0 users
Thu, Oct 2 2014 6:28 PM (17 replies)
  • PAGES
  • OrinBM
    40 Posts
    Sun, Sep 28 2014 4:45 PM

The first couple months I played and made awesome progress.  I was at pro level in no time, playing even or sometimes 1 or 2 strokes under on a regular basis.  I bought clubs, bought an avatar, joined a country club....all that.  

In the last month I haven't purchased anything.  I'm the same person, playing on the same computer, with the same internet connection and the same clubs, etc.  I can't even remember the last time I played an even game.  The last 20 have been 4 to 6 over par.  I can't even come remotely close to the games I used to play.  So why is that?  All of the sudden I don't know how to click the mouse anymore??  Seems like I miss an awful lot of easy green shots these days....even one and two footers.

I know they swear up and down they can't control your player or how your game goes but I'm calling ***.  I know that I can play bad games here and there but this is ridiculous.  I don't even know what to say...  Nothing changed except that suddenly I am playing 5 strokes worse on average than I was a month ago.

Anyone else having this problem?

• Bahrija
    1 Posts
    Sun, Sep 28 2014 5:47 PM

Hi guys!

Look, I need new clubs, but I don't have credit to buy them, so, one friend told me that I could find them FREE. So, I asking you, is that posibble, and how can I find them for FREE.

Thanks! 

• ZioMio
    4,680 Posts
    Sun, Sep 28 2014 6:57 PM

OrinBM:
     I was at pro level in no time, playing even or sometimes 1 or 2 strokes under on a regular basis

You just tiered up

September 05, 2014
    • OrinBM moved up to the Pro tier.

The game has just adjusted to your new skill level, it will on every advancement. Do not get upset, just tighten up your game and you will soon be where you are scoring under par again.

Remember how fun it was when you started, you will enjoy it once again.

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Sun, Sep 28 2014 7:22 PM

Hey Orin, it just means you are normal. As an example, when players bump-up. so do their scores...most all of the time. I think it takes an average of 61 to reach Legend, which is really fine play, but most all who reach it start climbing at once to a point where their average will hit 68+. Each advancement becomes a sharper test of skill. Just keep playing, have fun and enjoy watching your improvement...it will come. This game, while being a treasure, is in no way an easy piece of cake. ~ SP ~

• OrinBM
    40 Posts
    Sun, Sep 28 2014 10:12 PM

Thanks for the post, I appreciate the encouragement.  No, it is definitely not easy, which I appreciate.  I was just frustrated at what seemed like a sudden drop in performance and no real ideas about why.  Thanks for letting me know it's normal!

• ApexPC
    3,164 Posts
    Mon, Sep 29 2014 12:11 PM

Yep.

As you move up in the tiers the game gets more difficult. That is in part what WGT's patented Virtual Equipment Model (VEM) is all about.

• OrinBM
    40 Posts
    Wed, Oct 1 2014 5:12 PM

Well I appreciate everyone trying to tell me this is normal, and I went back to my game with a new approach of trying to simply par each hole with some bogeys.  At this point a game 3 or 4 over par would have been an improvement.

Unfortunately, after just having by far the worst game since I started I'm finding it very hard to believe the things I'm being told.  How is it that all I've learned about the game up until now is suddenly irrelevant?  

Some examples from my last game:

A ball in a 5-10% lie can only go 5-10 yards even when it should be going 30 after considering lie, slope, club, etc.

Putting uphill.  In every game I've played the uphill putts take a LOT more power.  In fact in this very game I had about an 8 foot put, 1 inch uphill, hit it a little over 8 feet, came up short.  Same game, 25 foot put, 7 inches uphill, I hit it about 30 or 33, and the ball goes 35 feet.  ??

Same thing on longer shots.  One time a 10-12 crosswind takes 20 yards of my shot, next time my ball goes even further than it should.  I'm not sure that anything was consistent about this last game but my bogeys. 

What's the point in trying to pay attention and plan a shot when the results are completely unpredictable?  I could go on and on with example from the last game.  It was so horrible I didn't even feel like I knew how the game works.  I might as well have been randomly picking clubs and spots on the power meter.  Maybe I should find a three year old and let them play, it would probably be an improvement.  I'd like to believe it will get better, but I don't.

I can't see how leveling up should add ten strokes to your game and make all that you've learned no longer applicable.  You tell me to just try and play the game and remember how fun it was.  Well what made it fun was planning out the shots, having a strategy, and trying to play it.  Now it doesn't matter what I do planning wise because who knows what will happen when I click that mouse button.  This game is starting to feel like a huge waste of time.

• SoKoSteve
    128 Posts
    Wed, Oct 1 2014 10:44 PM

OrinBM:
    Putting uphill.  In every game I've played the uphill putts take a LOT more power.  In fact in this very game I had about an 8 foot put, 1 inch uphill, hit it a little over 8 feet, came up short.  Same game, 25 foot put, 7 inches uphill, I hit it about 30 or 33, and the ball goes 35 feet.  ??

The putting gets more difficult with the tiers, too.  With an 8 footer up 1, I'd go 10 feet to get it there, but on a 25 footer up 7, I'd hit it 29 feet, 30 tops.  If you hit it 33, it's likely going 35 even though it's uphill.  My take on this is that with longer putts there is more undulation up and down rather than a straight uphill put.  So, even though it's +7 inches, the incline may not be even throughout the putt.  I still make the same error, though.  I think I had a 35 footer last game and it was up 12 inches or something.  I hit my 45 foot putter at max and watched it stop around 50 feet.  That's just how it is.

• JFidanza
    1,676 Posts
    Wed, Oct 1 2014 10:57 PM

I've discussed something like this, and some of it came from a player named 'Davester' who suggested that the shorter putts needed a little more to get moving. 

As written below, sometimes on long putts I will shave off because the ball is rolling a lot on its own, or something to that effect.

JFidanza:

Also, I've noticed that shorter putts need a little more consideration [added power] than longer putts perhaps because of the difference of inertia of getting the ball rolling,

a little more power maybe 'for inertia' to get moving 

On a long putt the ball has something like momentum so I usually have to shave off a percentage.

For example, (not exact) on a flat green, for a 12 ft putt on a fast green I may use 12 ft of power. But on a putt that's 100 ft, I may hit it with 88 ft of power.

http://www.wgt.com/forums/p/236713/1709690.aspx#1709690

• PAGES
RSS