Re: Expose quitters

Tue, Sep 28 2010 12:38 AM (10 replies)
  • PAGES
  • Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Tue, Sep 28 2010 12:38 AM

aceydeucey:
    I like the idea, but it won't happen.

I believe it can happen. I also play chess over on Chess.com, and the management over there in fact changed their mind and attitude about this. At first, they didn't want to expose their cheating members publicly; but now they do regularly name & shame them for everyone else to see. In fact, Chess.com's CEO regularly posts a monthly update publicly naming all newly identified cheaters, see here.

Naming & shaming WGT quitters publicly has also worked very nicely for many months on the Ladders site, which has a special forum section devoted to the purpose, called Three Strikes and Down.

TarheelsRule:
    has to be a way to verify that they actually quit.

No such verification is needed. All WGT needs to do is to give everyone the option to finish a disrupted round (disrupted for whatever reason), or else take a reputation hit. See more details here.

TarheelsRule:
    unless the system has a way to force posting of all scores.

Again, it's not necessary to "force" anything like that. The player who quits should be given the freedom to decide to post, or not post. Quitters won't post, thereby reducing their reputation score, but the others will.  

x1524807:
    The thread of quitters and meters should be ended forever

Definitely not! The way to resolve a crucial issue, like the issue of quitters that has been troubling WGT.com for years, is not to forcefully end discussions of the issue.

The way to proceed is to allow only 1 forum thread to deal with quitters, and forbid the discussion of quitters in any other thread. (All the other quitters threads must be locked or merged with the new central quitters thread as soon as they are created.) This is a standard measure in any well-managed discussion forum. (= Allowing recurring, hot-button isues to be discussed only in 1 location.) When there only will be one central quitters thread, WGT.com users will be able to discuss the issue there calmly, rationally, and politely. Otherwise, when there are dozens of simultaneous quitters threads every day, people just get impatient over each other and all the redundancy and needless repetition, and attack each other personally instead of discussing the issue itself. I've been calling for such a centralized quitters thread since 2009; hopefully WGTSky and his colleagues can soon get around to making this vital forum arrangement.

• PAGES
RSS