Cool Beans!

Or

Beanies with weenies!

Or too many weenies make teenies.

Oh God, somebody stop me!

• Doublemochaman
    2,009 Posts
    Thu, Sep 23 2010 4:04 PM

That is perfect... you will be able to judge your accuracy and length based shots you've hit before (many times before!).  Please keep us posted.

I bought a new driver in July (after trying it on two different demo days) and have used it on several local courses and have new long distance marks on almost all the driving holes.  The thing hits the stupid ball 15 to 20 yards longer because of a lighter overall weight, thus increasing my swing speed.  Driving is fun again.  Actually hit one 365 yards on a par 5 (with a little help from a firm fairway) and had a 9 iron into the green.  Feeling like a clone of Dustin Johnson.

• TarheelsRule
    5,480 Posts
    Sat, Sep 25 2010 11:18 AM

One thing I would suggest for everyone is exactly what SP did.  In most large towns or within an hours drive, you can find a pro shop, golfsmith or a large discount golf shop that has custom fitting machinges.  You can go into many of them, a good example is the Melvins Golf World shop in Myrtle Beach, where you can hit a few hundred balls into a screen and have your shots measured.  You can see how you hit 4 or 5 drivers and a number of iron sets.  Generally this will set you back $50 - $100 and if you buy a set of clubs they will apply that toward your purchase.  Not exactly the same as a true custom fitting but unless you go that route it is the next best thing.

• SEK1
    38 Posts
    Wed, Sep 29 2010 10:37 PM

There is actually a few golf shops near me (not pro shops) where you can hit on a real range, which helped me in picking out my driver a ton.

Update on my driver, just got it re shafted with UST AXIVCORE Green (high kick point low spin) Shaft, and on my first day out it turns out that the shop did not attach it right and i sent my R9 Supertri Head about 100 yards on to the first hole at my local course didnt find it and didn't see if it went in the lake... what a day.

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Thu, Sep 30 2010 9:52 AM

SEK1:
    Home Course: Old Ranch Country Club, Seal Beach, CA

I've played it twice. It is a fun challenge and very well maintained private course. Perfect weather and a sneaky ocean wind that can kill distance. Great track. A little close to the 405 frwy is the only negative. Have you been a bit north and played my home course, Valencia CC?

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Thu, Sep 30 2010 11:59 AM

Doublemochaman:
    I bought a new driver in July (after trying it on two different demo days) and have used it on several local courses and have new long distance marks on almost all the driving holes.  The thing hits the stupid ball 15 to 20 yards longer because of a lighter overall weight, thus increasing my swing speed.  Driving is fun again.

Without question it is for me too, now. I did the same thing only at a range. I was comparing a Ping 10.5 to a Callaway Fusion 9.0 fully expecting to wind up with the 10.5. Wrong. The Fusion is like a rocket launcher and the balls rolls forever after landing. I'm 2 clubs closer because of it.  My best so far is 343-240 in the air and the rest roll. Heh-exactly what old guys need.

What did you get?

• SEK1
    38 Posts
    Thu, Sep 30 2010 7:26 PM

I have not, but I've heard good things about it online, I plan to try to get up there sometime this year, i have been trying to play all of the local courses that don't really break the bank (pelican hill for example 300 some odd dollar tee time with a caddy). but valencia is pretty out of the way for me being a 2 minute drive from Old ranch.

How do you like the Valencia course? is it worth the drive?

RSS