Forums

Help › Forums

Re: this isn't Burger King

rated by 0 users
Wed, Sep 15 2010 6:38 AM (23 replies)
  • Pangaea
    242 Posts
    Wed, Sep 15 2010 4:40 AM

Apart from fiddling with the vast amount of points we need to advance, and given equipment is level-based now and not tier-based, it seems like the best solution would be some kind of handicap system. Arguably that would make sandbagging even worse, but it would at least make it more fair for those with honest scores, whether a hack or a legend.

Personally speaking I enjoyed being in the Tour Pro tier, as I was finally able to compete for credits. Master clubs are too fast for me, and Raptures (especially my WGT 245yds driver) don't have the needed distance. Frustrating to go from being fairly good one day to crap the next.

But looking at the bigger picture about scores and realism, the score for legends are very good. I checked many tournaments yesterday, and almost without exception the legends still had the lowest scores of all the tiers. It wasn't a one-off either, overall the scores were better. So WGT do have a point in saying the legends are coping with the changes.

That said, I certainly understand the frustration of those who are now legends but are not truly one of the greats of the site, and cannot compete with the high earners. When the changes were announced I assumed you'd need about a 60 average to be put in the legend tier, so it would contain the truly great players only. That was clearly not the case. Generally it seems to be people are moved up in tier too early.

For a handicap system to work well, WGT needs to be much more efficient at weeding out sandbaggers, or they will gobble up all the prizes. A room of shame would be suitable too I think, as a disincentive. WGT could be banning 1000 people today and nobody would know. But if they publicized the names and deleted the accounts (not blocked them from login), this would be a lot more visible.

• bartjones
    72 Posts
    Wed, Sep 15 2010 5:47 AM

Pangaea:
    Personally speaking I enjoyed being in the Tour Pro tier, as I was finally able to compete for credits. Master clubs are too fast for me, and Raptures (especially my WGT 245yds driver) don't have the needed distance. Frustrating to go from being fairly good one day to crap the next.

I think you'll find over time you'll get used to the faster clubs. I went from the Raptures to the G10s. It was frustrating and it took a couple months but I finally got the hang of them and thereafter shot my best rounds ever. If a guy with my sloth-like reflexes can do it, I think you can too.

Pangaea:
    For a handicap system to work well, WGT needs to be much more efficient at weeding out sandbaggers, or they will gobble up all the prizes.

I've never really understood this. Before I got bumped up my average was around 63 or so and I'd guess that 95% of my rounds fell within a 10% range (plus or minus) of that number. How difficult would it be to design a piece of software that would track score histories and weed out the guys who shoot 61 in a money round and then 92 and 94 in simple ranked rounds on the same course on the same day? Maybe I'm being too simplistic about it but it just doesn't seem like it would be that tough to find a lot of these guys and deal with them. Alternatively, why can't they set up a separate player ranking for tournament rounds that is based only on scores posted in money rounds?

• Pangaea
    242 Posts
    Wed, Sep 15 2010 6:02 AM

It isn't difficult. That's why it's so incredible WGT still isn't doing anything about it. They already record scores and type of tournament, as that can clearly be seen in the score history. No problem to put in some more lines of code to calculate average in practice ranked, unlimited and such, and multiplayer, RGs and whatever else there may be. No problem whatsoever. Same with more "intelligent" ways of finding sandbaggers, like horrible putting on the odd hole.

Same with quitting. It's easy to implement, so I honestly don't get why they don't do it. Unless they're afraid it will somehow lead to less income. One easy way to deal with it is to make sure the user can't just close his window and then start a new multiplayer. If he does, he should get the option of forfeiting the match or continuing it.If he doesn't come back on within the 5 minutes the match is automatically forfeited. Then record completed games and forfeited/quit ones.

In multiplayer (and in the profile) there could be added lines of Matches completed: 12/15. Perhaps also Holes completed: 97%

• skynyrdinards
    95 Posts
    Wed, Sep 15 2010 6:38 AM

I hope we can get over the tier system and stuff. I just wish they would put more time into making the game more consistant regarding the greens putting grid, the wind, and the meter. If the putting grid was consistant, we could all get better. The same with the wind. If 20 mph on hole 3, was the same as 20 mph on the 6th, I could learn how to adjust. Have a great round!

RSS