Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Golf Balls

rated by 0 users
Sat, Sep 11 2010 12:53 PM (9 replies)
  • shakyjon
    87 Posts
    Wed, Sep 8 2010 6:01 AM

Let me start with this thread has nothing to do with WGT balls.  I'm asking about RL golf balls.  I have recently been blasting the ball of the tee (avg up to 260 yds.) and with my irons (160 with 7i).  My shots generally go where I aim them, which is to say I'm hitting more greens, but still missing more than I hit, usually left or right instead of short, and I decided that since I'm hitting the ball straight, I can justify getting the urethane balls.  I figure it'll improve my chipping and pitching since the soft cover will check a thousand times better than the ionamer balls.

Now to the question:  has anyone noticed any difference between Titeleist Pro V1, Srixon Z Star, and Nike One balls?  And which would you recommend?

• b0geybuster
    2,574 Posts
    Wed, Sep 8 2010 7:43 AM

Honestly I would buy a sleeve of each and try them out.   These will definetely help you around the green, but for me it was all about personal preference, and I went with Pro V1's.

Cheers

• Snaike
    3,678 Posts
    Wed, Sep 8 2010 9:59 AM

Usually use whatever the kid on the corner has fished out of the lake...  if I buy 20 I get a discount!

(Actually been using the Bridgestone 330 lately...  I can lose them just as fast as the others)

• Doublemochaman
    2,009 Posts
    Wed, Sep 8 2010 10:04 AM

You know, I keep trying out other balls but I always come back to the Titleist ProV-1 or 1X.  About to play Chambers Bay next week and have stocked up on ProV-1x's.

• shakyjon
    87 Posts
    Thu, Sep 9 2010 2:25 AM

Doublemochaman:
    You know, I keep trying out other balls but I always come back to the Titleist ProV-1 or 1X.

What's the difference?  Or is it just personal preference?

• Bezukhov
    32 Posts
    Thu, Sep 9 2010 6:38 AM

And you could still have fun with the ones you don't like:

http://hackaday.com/2010/04/07/fully-automated-golf-ball-gun/

• toripyne
    195 Posts
    Fri, Sep 10 2010 10:02 AM

I seem to recall an article a while back comparing balls and the Pro V1x had more spin than the pro V1

• Soulcatcher
    1,970 Posts
    Fri, Sep 10 2010 1:41 PM

Essentially the pro v1x its a lower spin ball. It has less dimples, a different cover thickness, etc.

LINK for all the specs.

Right now I am using the NXT tour and I like it. I have also had good luck with the bridgestone line of balls B330RX for me.

Happy hitting

• stencil
    455 Posts
    Fri, Sep 10 2010 2:13 PM

prov1x=hard, low spinning, longer ball

prov1=medium feel-soft feel, high spinning

Dont really know with nike but in my opingion taylormade penta is the highest spinning ball. With pro v1 being the most balanced and srixon requires high swing speeds VERY HARD!!!! I am a 4 handi and just recently swithched to pro v1 from penta for the simple fact that they perform simular and pro v1 are very durable. Where I was going through maybe a sleeve a round not losing any. Pentas scuff when hitting anything under a 8 iron. my choice prov1

• srellim234
    2,077 Posts
    Sat, Sep 11 2010 12:53 PM

Our games are very similar. Drives pretty much the same, my 7I is 155. Make more greens than miss but miss my fair share. I'm a 10 hcp since financial constraints have cut me to 1 or 2 rounds a month and I don't practice.

Fortunately a local Nevada Bob's store  allows me to put together my own mixed dozens, charging only 1/4 the dozen price for each sleeve when purchased in dozens. It gives a great opportunity to try the different balls without having to put out a bunch of money.

Over the last few years I've gravitated to the regulars instead of the "x" versions of balls for the extra spin. You will give up maybe only 2-3% distance-wise but you'll really reap the benefits on stopping power, chipping and putting.

This year I switched to the Srixon Z-Star simply because as I get older my eyesight gets worse and the neon yellow cover is much easier to spot in the air and in the rough. It's a great ball and the one to use if visibility is an issue.

The premium balls are all so close now that it's a matter of personal preference and what fits YOUR game and eye.You should definitely try various balls.

RSS