Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Flag stick chip in

rated by 0 users
Tue, Jul 20 2010 12:03 PM (7 replies)
  • chaddyt150
    5 Posts
    Mon, Jul 19 2010 5:07 PM

Has anyone had the pleasure of getting a chip in on this game? I have hit flag stick at least 5 times so far. I have hit it fast and slow and very slow and not one of those balls has sunk, it just hits the stick and rolls away every time. Also has anyone hit over a 40 foot putt? It seems like anything over 30 foot wants to lip out no matter how slow the ball is going.

• PorkyWalrus
    607 Posts
    Tue, Jul 20 2010 3:10 AM

lots of us have chip-ins with the flagstick in. One thing you can do is remove it, by clicking on the flagstick icon in the upper right corner, where the wind indicator is, and the yardage.

There are some with putts made from over 100 feet! Be patient and sometime you will accomplish one or both of your goals here.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Tue, Jul 20 2010 7:22 AM

Someone posted a while back about when to pull the pin. The advice was to pull it if you think you can make the shot and leave it in if you're just trying to get close. 

• RChapman2010
    172 Posts
    Tue, Jul 20 2010 8:04 AM

Good advice, YJ...  and yes, putts of over 200 feet have been made (check Bollox's saved shots) - my longest is like 50-something feet...  odd that most under 10 won't drop tho, dammit! lol

My rule of thumb is to leave the pin in - because odds are the pin will stop an overhit shot from going too long, most of the time...  if it drops, all the better.

• Richard4168
    4,309 Posts
    Tue, Jul 20 2010 8:39 AM

Hey fellas,

This is the reason you may want to pull the flag stick on some shots. That's still a good idea in some cases too Chapman.  : )

P.S. look at view 2.

• chaddyt150
    5 Posts
    Tue, Jul 20 2010 9:50 AM

Thanks guys. I had no idea you could even pull the pin. I thought the game just did it itself.

• marioh
    1,055 Posts
    Tue, Jul 20 2010 10:04 AM

chaddyt150:

Has anyone had the pleasure of getting a chip in on this game? I have hit flag stick at least 5 times so far. I have hit it fast and slow and very slow and not one of those balls has sunk, it just hits the stick and rolls away every time. Also has anyone hit over a 40 foot putt? It seems like anything over 30 foot wants to lip out no matter how slow the ball is going.

I have close to 250 holed approach shots, the vast majority of which were chip ins with the flag in the hole.   So it is possible to hole out a chip shot with the flag in the hole.   It all comes down to speed.   Too fast and you risk the dreaded rim out, rolling right over the hole, or hitting the flag pole (which seems to be made out of concrete).

And yes, I've made plenty of putts over 30 feet.   I even sunk 2 40 footers in back to back multiplayer games (on the same hole to boot) the other day.

• neildiamond11790
    1,115 Posts
    Tue, Jul 20 2010 12:03 PM

Generally I pull the flag from 85yds and in after I lined it up.  It does nothing to help those shots as most have backspin so the flag is not going to stop anything but the ball from going in.  The other reason is what Marioh mentioned, the flag is made of conrete, trying hitting the pin on an easy approaching reflecting spinning off the green, there goes your tap in birdie.

On the other hand, say for example some of the chips in the virtual majors I will leave the pin in if severaly down hill.  Need something to apply the brakes. 

RSS