Help › Forums

Re: Troublesome Shot - Any Help Appreciated

rated by 0 users
Mon, Apr 26 2010 8:17 AM (2 replies)
  • dorkfeatures
    712 Posts
    Sun, Apr 25 2010 7:07 PM

Hi All,

If anyone can give me some advice on this issue I would really appreciate it.

My problem shot (and with many others as well I guess) is the long or short iron into the green with a following wind, and worse - landing the ball on a downslope. 

With the gear I'm playing with I have real trouble stopping the ball close. Obviously I dont have enough backspin on the ball.

Is that a function of the ball, or the clubs I'm using - or a combination of both ?

I play with the V2 Rapture iron set and GI-S balls.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Cheers 

Doug

1,644 Posts
    Mon, Apr 26 2010 6:35 AM

dorkfeatures:
    Is that a function of the ball, or the clubs I'm using - or a combination of both ?
    It's a function of both as well as the trajectory of the club set.

Comparing what you have to what I have:

GI-SD (2 spin dots) vs. GI-S (1 spin dot)

i15 Irons (3 spin, high traj) vs. V2 Rapt (2 spin, med/high traj)

And with my setup it is still impossible to stop a ball with a tail wind, or on a downslope, but the roll out is probably less than what you would see.

For your setup you just need to be able to know and play the rollout of your clubs, try avoiding downhill landing areas even if you have to leave yourself a 15-20 putt back up the hill (St. A. #2 for example) or play the rollout of the green... like on #4 and #5 St. A. aim left of the pin (with wind already factored) because any roll leading up to the pin is on a pretty severe left to right mound.

Hope this helps Doug.

• dorkfeatures
    712 Posts
    Mon, Apr 26 2010 8:17 AM

Hi Lee,

Thanks very much for the info. Its kinda what I thought, but hadn't factored the club elevation in.

I do try and play the roll out on the greens and look for flat landing spots, but on some holes its really really hard to get anywhere near.

I played infinito the other week, and I saw him back up a shot on the green - which I had never seen before. So have had a look at his clubs also. 

Am a bit peaved right now :-(   Got down to the last hole on Oakmont in the CTTH comp with a score of around 68 - but just couldnt get it close on 9 and blew it. LOL.

Thats golf for you. Thanks again.

Cheers

Doug

RSS