Forums

Help › Forums

Chipping on green

Sat, Jan 27 2018 6:00 PM (117 replies)
  • Luckystar5
    1,636 Posts
    Mon, Jan 22 2018 9:53 AM

These pros practice these isolated instances for long periods, that's why they are good at them.  They don't just pull that shot out of a hat.  The reason they can get out of trouble so easily, is cuz they are there alot, so they do practice a solution 

• JFidanza
    1,676 Posts
    Mon, Jan 22 2018 10:00 AM

They say 'the end justifies the means' 

• alosso
    21,039 Posts
    Mon, Jan 22 2018 10:04 AM

Luckystar5:
    usga rules do not say anything about what clubs that  can or cannot be used
    I agree, and I LOVE to be creative on the courses!

AFAIK, the only limitation is "wrong green", and the putter isn't even mentioned in the rules (excluding the appendices).

Luckystar5:
    but do state that you cannot destroy the face of the green with a club being used.
    I agree NOT - please provide reference!

Furthermore, please accept that WGT's greens aren't destroyed by wedge shots - not even temporarily!

• Robert1893
    7,666 Posts
    Mon, Jan 22 2018 10:06 AM

Luckystar5:
    These pros practice these isolated instances for long periods, that's why they are good at them.  They don't just pull that shot out of a hat.  The reason they can get out of trouble so easily, is cuz they are there alot, so they do practice a solution 

Conceding the point, what does that have to do with anything? It doesn't matter if they practice the shots. The reality is that they don't use them as a norm. What that means is the norm is to putt, with a putter, when on the green. No pro consistently chips on the green. It's just not done. 

By the way, I posted your statement about Chi Chi on a golf discussion board I frequent. That board is populated by very serious golfers. There are a lot on there who are scratch or low-handicap golfers and who follow the sport religiously. It'll be interesting to see what they remember about Chi Chi and the use of the driver on the green.

Personally, I never followed Chi Chi that closely. Still, I've followed golf since college. I just don't remember any discussion of him using driver on the green for longer putts. 

And as an aside, I seriously doubt the pros take the time to practice these odd shots that would occur very infrequently during tournament play. What they practice is their normal shots. Have you ever seen videos of pros practicing their putting? They're practicing putting, not chipping. 

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Mon, Jan 22 2018 10:07 AM

Luckystar5:
    Why can't people just accept things that are different, without putting a brand on it?

Then what do you call the one that never uses a putter? Someone looking for an edge? LOL. That one is the gamer no matter how you paint them. No edge. No talent. Lazy. And that doesn't compare to anything you pointed out.

• Robert1893
    7,666 Posts
    Mon, Jan 22 2018 10:16 AM

YankeeJim:
    Then what do you call the one that never uses a putter? Someone looking for an edge? LOL. That one is the gamer no matter how you paint them. No edge. No talent. Lazy. And that doesn't compare to anything you pointed out.

Exactly!

And that point is easily demonstrated by going back to the first post. As the OP noted, the person he was playing against chipped to "[avoid] having to deal with breaks."

People who take this approach have the following options: learn how to read a green, live with the results of missed putts, or chip and acknowledge it's a gamer move. 

Those are the options. :-) 

• Luckystar5
    1,636 Posts
    Mon, Jan 22 2018 10:29 AM

I didn't say that Chi Chi used it consistantly, I said that when used it he was consistant. 

• Robert1893
    7,666 Posts
    Mon, Jan 22 2018 10:38 AM

Luckystar5:

I didn't say that Chi Chi used it consistantly, I said that when used it he was consistant. 

And I didn't claim that you did say he used it consistently.

I wrote that I don't remember him using driver on the green for longer putts nor do I remember any discussion of him doing so. But to be clear, here's what you wrote:

Years ago there was a pro that used his driver on the greens (for longer putts) quite effectively.  (Chi Chi Rodriguez) 

• Luckystar5
    1,636 Posts
    Mon, Jan 22 2018 11:26 AM

I guess my whole point here is, if someone used an unorthodox method to score well, or even beat you, , suck it up, and don't cry about it.  What difference does it make, if he used a putter, or wedge, he knew what he was doing, and did it well enough to score! If you like it or not, this is a game, not real golf. Golf in real life , is still just a game, and if something works, use it, if you don't and you get beat, then it's your own grief you have to deal with. Don't make excuses, get better and go back and try again. 

• Luckystar5
    1,636 Posts
    Mon, Jan 22 2018 12:55 PM

Robert1893:

Luckystar5:

Conceding the point, what does that have to do with anything? It doesn't matter if they practice the shots. The reality is that they don't use them as a norm. What that means is the norm is to putt, with a putter, when on the green. No pro consistently chips on the green. It's just not done. 

By the way, I posted your statement about Chi Chi on a golf discussion board I frequent. That board is populated by very serious golfers. There are a lot on there who are scratch or low-handicap golfers and who follow the sport religiously. It'll be interesting to see what they remember about Chi Chi and the use of the driver on the green.

Personally, I never followed Chi Chi that closely. Still, I've followed golf since college. I just don't remember any discussion of him using driver on the green for longer putts. 

And as an aside, I seriously doubt the pros take the time to practice these odd shots that would occur very infrequently during tournament play. What they practice is their normal shots. Have you ever seen videos of pros practicing their putting? They're practicing putting, not chipping. 

i

If your gonna tell me that Phil M. Got into a sand trap and said to himself, hmmm I'll bet I can hit this, over my head and backwards onto the green,, and execute it the way he did, without ever practicing it for hours, then you've lost all credibility in what you say. (Imo) The pros are never gonna show you all the tools in their bag, until they need them.  I can go on and on with examples, like Bubbas  shot that turned right almost 90 degrees ,  etc   but not worth it.  They do practice trouble shots for hours on end. That's why they are winners. They know that they cannot hit every fairway, green, and putt, in every round without getting into trouble somewhere.  

RSS