Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Protocol

rated by 0 users
Fri, Apr 20 2012 6:29 PM (6 replies)
  • DanWidget
    1,307 Posts
    Fri, Apr 20 2012 12:46 PM

Is there any protocol or rules on clubs copying names and avatars of existing clubs?  I am the owner of British Bulldogs Country Club and have a club avatar of a bulldog sitting in front of a Union Jack background.  I now notice another club has formed calling themselves BRITISH BULLDOGS and are using the exact same avatar.

• Jerm65
    1,413 Posts
    Fri, Apr 20 2012 1:13 PM

Not sure if there are any specific rules against using the same name......it's definitely very bad form though.

As far as the avatar....unless it's your own image and you happen to have it copyrighted, my guess would be that they have as much right to use it as you do. (but again....it's very bad form)

Take it as a sort of back-handed compliment that someone would copy you.  And then let Icon know.  WGT may just frown on this sort of thing and shut 'em down for you.

• GARRYCARTER
    1,533 Posts
    Fri, Apr 20 2012 1:16 PM

Nasty goings on I say & to use all capital letters too the bloody cheek of it all,Well I don't know sounds like one for Harry Hill to sort this one out,Now what would Harry do..............

See I like the look of British Bulldogs CC but I like the look of BRITISH BULLDOGS I know

FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT and may the best one WIN

• DanWidget
    1,307 Posts
    Fri, Apr 20 2012 1:32 PM

Yeah I'm not really questioning the copyright legalities of the name or picture Jerm but just think that the protocol of doing what he has done is totally out of order.

When I formed my club I checked the Country Club section of WGT to make sure that I wasn't stepping on anybody else's toes,  and then to use the exact same picture as a club badge is just rubbing it in IMO.

• mara43
    1,674 Posts
    Fri, Apr 20 2012 4:56 PM

DanWidget:

I am the owner of British Bulldogs Country Club and have a club avatar of a bulldog sitting in front of a Union Jack background.  I now notice another club has formed calling themselves BRITISH BULLDOGS and are using the exact same avatar.

I know it is a small thing but your Club is listed as British Bulldog Country Club(not dogs).

When you search British Bulldogs only BRITISH BULLDOGS appears.

However, I do agree with you about the use of a similar name & avatar for a CC with one that is already registered.

• DAZZA501
    5,972 Posts
    Fri, Apr 20 2012 5:21 PM

The way i see it Dan is your club is already established and you have 50+ members. The other club has only 3 so i wouldn't worry about them too much. It takes a lot to make a successful club so concentrate on making your own club good and in a few months this other club probably won't exist anymore.

• Jerm65
    1,413 Posts
    Fri, Apr 20 2012 6:29 PM

DanWidget:
    just think that the protocol of doing what he has done is totally out of order.

Agree with you completely, Dan. Provided it was knowingly done (not saying it wasn't....just that I don't know the history on this one). That's why I suggested letting Icon know (username - WGTIcon). 

It's also worth sending an e-mail to members@wgt.com enquiring as to whether they consider it an acceptable practice or not.  To me, logic and common-sense dictates that it isn't, but unfortunately, it ain't me that decides on that stuff.

Unless you've got a long-lost twin or something, it certainly seems pretty damn fishy though, don't it?  Hopefully it gets sorted for you....

RSS