Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Pro with 80 average...Help!!

rated by 0 users
Wed, Feb 10 2010 4:52 PM (7 replies)
  • VtDrunkenMoose
    2 Posts
    Wed, Feb 10 2010 2:53 PM

I joined and upgraded my driver right away but I didn't realize this was a pay to play well site.  I shot a 69 ONCE so I got moved to a pro.  All the rest of my scores are high 70's low 80's. Love the game and love the site, but do I have to drop some dollars on high tech clubs to play well? Any one have any tips or hints to help me out? 

Thanks

The Drunken Moose

• AlaCowboy
    1,321 Posts
    Wed, Feb 10 2010 3:17 PM

VtDrunkenMoose:

I joined and upgraded my driver right away but I didn't realize this was a pay to play well site.  I shot a 69 ONCE so I got moved to a pro.  All the rest of my scores are high 70's low 80's. Love the game and love the site, but do I have to drop some dollars on high tech clubs to play well? Any one have any tips or hints to help me out? 

Thanks

The Drunken Moose

Well Moose (may I call you Moose?), this game strives to be as close to the real game of golf as possible, so lowering your score is accomplished by practice and playing often. It took me about 2 months of play to reach the mid-70s and the Pro level, and I did it with the free starter clubs and balls.

Under the FAQs column there are very useful tips on putting and pitching and chipping. Those were posted by top members here and are very helpful. Also ask in the forums for specific advice and we will be happy to help you.

You don't have to spend money to play the game at a good level, but to compete with the best, you do.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Wed, Feb 10 2010 3:30 PM

VtDrunkenMoose:
    Love the game and love the site, but do I have to drop some dollars on high tech clubs to play well? Any one have any tips or hints to help me out

The quick answer is no-this is a free site and there are master's that haven't spent as much as you. You just need to really work hard at overcoming the limitations the clubs lay on you. That being said, the choice to upgrade to better performing clubs depends on your expectations.

This is a beta version of what hopes to be something else and I personally think it's getting there. There are performance issues with the meter and some of the club specs but for the most part since everybody plays with the same issues it becomes part of the game.The good golfers play through them, as frustrating as it is sometimes. 

The best thing you can do is to play this game as you would in real life-the thinking, the planning and of course the execution. If you can do it with the free stuff go for it. If you want more than that I believe it's worth $20-$30 to see what you can do (heh-easy for me to spend your money.) I would be happy to play a round and show you some stuff, anytime. GL

• xxmattscarpaxx
    63 Posts
    Wed, Feb 10 2010 3:37 PM

Before you put any money into wgt for other clubs, i suggest you learn the courses, play the closest to the hole competitions, and most importantly learn all of your short game shots.. such as pitch,chip,and flop. Once you do of all these things you will be ready to put money into the game. You can play at a master level with what they give you, so if that's any indication that learning the game first implies. Ive been beaten by people with starter clubs many a times, so don't think that money wins here. Consistency does, as it does in anything else you do. I hope you enjoy the game its pretty awesome, if you wanna play a round give me a shout out.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Wed, Feb 10 2010 3:46 PM

Great advice, matt. Well said.

• opyeuclid
    6,706 Posts
    Wed, Feb 10 2010 3:51 PM

Good day   Drunken Moose,  I play with the starter clubs and range balls with a avg of 73  +/-..     I have good rounds and bad (   need to stay out of the cooler  opy !  ) ..  Some of it has to due with stick time and learning the place, how to get out of trouble, the chip ,flop, punch  took me a bit lo learn ,ect...  The thing that helped me the most was playing with Friends. And it is fun when you play a better round then some other player with all the fancy gear !  That may not be any help but I hope it was ...opy

• dickie40
    37 Posts
    Wed, Feb 10 2010 4:14 PM
    Greetings Drunken Moose; You have come to a great website. This simulation is as real to the real game as there is. As someone who has played the real game for years and playing this game for months - the simularity is real. Unless you are blessed with exceptional talent, the way to become proficient is through hard work. That means lots of rounds and learning from what you have been through. I have a favorite saying : good judgement comes from experience - and experience comes from bad judgement! As a former resident of Barre, I would look forward to playing a round or to with someone from god's country. If you see me online give me a shout! dickie40
  • VtDrunkenMoose
    2 Posts
    Wed, Feb 10 2010 4:52 PM

Thanks everybody for the great advice. I've played about 30 +/- rounds and I think I should put in some more practice and closest to the hole challenges. Really need to work on knowing when to chip, and flop, etc..   I've been playing on multiple computers too and I think its messing up my touch a little. secondly, I would love to play with you guys sometime. How do I request friends and tell when someone is online playing? Hey Dickie, I was born and raised in Vermont, now living in miami and I own my own junior golf photography company. Golf is my life, and down here its year around! The amount of hours I spend on the course you'd think I could break 80 on line! :) 

RSS