Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Hitting Greens on Bethpage

Thu, Feb 11 2010 8:11 PM (9 replies)
  • austinpowers2001
    34 Posts
    Tue, Feb 9 2010 6:31 AM
    does anyone have any tips for hitting greens on Bethpage??? Evey time I try to hit one it either rolls off (when I hit a longer club) or goes in the bunker/ rough. ( when I hit a shorter club). I would really appriciate help thanks.
  • YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Tue, Feb 9 2010 1:24 PM

A lot of the holes at BPB play well if you run up to them. With green to work with in front of the pin try punching or pitching. Both shots roll out after landing so you would need to gauge this for yourself.  Backspin and topspin affect this. The idea is to take advantage of the green and use the end of the iron shot as a putt. 

• austinpowers2001
    34 Posts
    Tue, Feb 9 2010 4:55 PM
    Thank you very much YJ, if you look at my average you can see I need the help.
  • SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Tue, Feb 9 2010 5:41 PM

Missing a ton of greens at Beth, especially when it was first unvailed here, was a blessing for me. It forced me into developing a remarkable short game that never leaves but always serves.

• g433a
    28 Posts
    Wed, Feb 10 2010 5:21 AM

The ones I really struggle to hit (and stay on!) are the uphill ones with a long-ish iron which have no fairway in front of the green to run-up on.

Is there a secret to those? Do I need a ball with more spin or should it be do-able with GI2-D's? I like the extra distance of the D, but struggle with the faster meter with GI-SD.

All I've come up with is to pitch in the rough in front of the green and hope it comes out, or lay up and try to get up and down for par.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Wed, Feb 10 2010 6:28 AM

Some holes are set up to make birdie putts near impossible or a mile long. BPB  7 and 16 are good examples with the new pins. The traps protecting the pin take away anything but dropping on top of the pin to get close or a tough bump and run out of the rough. Lay up and take the par or try the heroic landing and play out of the trap.

On laying up hit to the yardage of your accurate wedges because you will have to get it up and down to save par which is easier from the fairway.

• austinpowers2001
    34 Posts
    Wed, Feb 10 2010 11:07 AM

g433a I struggle to hit them and stay on too. maybe if you roll the ball through the rough it will stay on...

• austinpowers2001
    34 Posts
    Wed, Feb 10 2010 11:55 AM
    YJ thank you so much for posting that I just shot even par on BPB 9- hole tournament!!!! I hit 8 out of 9 greens!!!!!!!!!!!!! Now I'm tied for 9th place!!!!!!!! THANK YOU!
  • YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Wed, Feb 10 2010 12:10 PM

Attaboy austin-it only gets better.

• oppy
    286 Posts
    Thu, Feb 11 2010 8:11 PM

Well Austin I would say you don't have that much to worry about. There is really not much specific advice I would give without having actually watched you play. But I can see that only have 4 ranked rounds, so just keep playing and you will get a feel or the course more. As you play it more, you will start to know what kind of yardages you will need for your approach shots. Set you self up on every hole, each time you play the course, to try and hit the same length approach shots to each hole. This way these shots will become like 'second nature' to you. So just keep practicing and eventually you will see you GIR go up.

RSS