Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Tactical Mistake on Wk3 Multiround?

Sun, Jan 17 2010 3:37 PM (5 replies)
  • andrewp7
    127 Posts
    Fri, Jan 15 2010 2:53 PM
    Given we all take this seriously, and I was almost 20 shots behind the halfway leader, I thought I would have a look at the leaderboard this morning to gauge how low I needed to go in order to even get on a page. Having the advantage of UK time, I was amazed to see that the leader had already played his second round! That must have been at silly o'clock US time. His second round was 9 shots worse than his first. I hope the guy wins after having a 3 shot lead and unless he has commitments which means he cant play at any other time, why on earth would you not wait until Sunday night to see what most if not all of your nearest rivals have shot? That way, you have far more of an idea of how much to push it and whether to take chances and play aggressive? Interested to know if I am the only one who would have waited?
  • nivlac
    2,188 Posts
    Fri, Jan 15 2010 3:03 PM

Depends on the person really.  Some folks thrive under the pressure of knowing exactly what they need and can plan their round accordingly.

Some folks are exactly the opposite and prefer not to have the score they need hanging over their head.  It allows them to be more carefree, play shots as they normally would play them instead of entering into Jean Van De Velde mode (over 10 years later and it still hurts just thinking about that guy).

Personally, waiting til the last minute has bitten me in the rear a few more times than I wish to remember, including one time when I ran out of time with a 4 foot putt left on 18.  I dinged the putt and was promptly DQ'ed for being late.  Oops.

To each their own. =)

• marioh
    1,055 Posts
    Fri, Jan 15 2010 3:29 PM

I prefer to just shoot without knowing what anyone else has shot.   I just try to meet or beat my best score for that particular tourny setup and let the chips fall where they may.

• Soulcatcher
    1,970 Posts
    Fri, Jan 15 2010 3:50 PM

nivlac:

It allows them to be more carefree, play shots as they normally would play them instead of entering into Jean Van De Velde mode (over 10 years later and it still hurts just thinking about that guy).

I remember watching that. The cheers when he took off his shoes to play out of the burn (and then didn't).

I just sat there with the slack jawed WTF on my face.

On topic....I never wait to play, I can shoot what I can shoot no better no worse......well maybe worse.

• seveking
    983 Posts
    Sat, Jan 16 2010 6:16 AM
    I like to know more or less the score I need, but if I´m feeling well at any moment, I will play and won´t wait.
  • pinkgirl34
    59 Posts
    Sun, Jan 17 2010 3:37 PM
    In response to the leader shooting 9 strokes worse than their score, it's likely caused by the green speed alteration .Round 1 had a green speed of "slow", while Round 2 the speed was "Very fast". I personally shot a 69 in Round 1 but was forced to withdraw in R2 after shooting +7 through 5 holes.
RSS