Forums

Help › Forums

Re: 17th at Bethpage

Mon, Jan 11 2010 9:08 AM (3 replies)
  • peteanddan
    18 Posts
    Mon, Jan 11 2010 8:08 AM

This is my nightmare hole, any ideas for a strategy to get a solid par. i either end in a bunker or go right through and still end in a bunker?

pete

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Mon, Jan 11 2010 8:24 AM

Try taking one more club than the one that puts you in the trap, full backspin and hit about 90-95%. I used to pound away at that hole the same way. I own that front trap because everything I did with the club I thought would work didn't.  That's when I started doing what I said above and now a birdie putt is almost automatic, albeit a long one. It's hard to stop a long iron that short with that pin up front. The key for me was changing the shot setup and hitting a longer club. Hope this helps.

YJ

• Soulcatcher
    1,970 Posts
    Mon, Jan 11 2010 8:34 AM

Good advise YJ.

The miss on this hole is long (easy downhill chip, just watch your distance) or right (leaves a very makable pitch or chip)

In general if a hole is giving you trouble look for the miss that will leave you the easiest recovery.

Happy hitting 

• Richard4168
    4,309 Posts
    Mon, Jan 11 2010 9:08 AM

Great tip guys. I play it the same way YJ. With a 10mph wind facing me, I use a 200yard iron and hit about 95% like you say with full backspin and usually land within 25 feet sometime less sometimes more. It's a fast putt either way too.

With the wind blowing towards the hole, it's hard to judge distance the first couple of times and I had to use trial and error at first and was always landing in the ruff short or long in the back side bunker. In this case I usually use a 190 yard iron at hit around 95% strength. A hybrid with good loft and good backspin would be the ideal club to stick it close on this par three hole.

A very challenging hole, but fun just the same.

Play well.

RSS