Forums

Help › Forums

Re: St. Andrews Hole 18

Fri, Feb 2 2024 11:10 AM (7 replies)
  • BWerthy
    1,009 Posts
    Wed, Dec 13 2023 7:07 PM

Would anyone be willing to share ideas or thoughts on sticking the approach to hole 18 at st andys?

How the buildings effect the wind, coming from the left right or middle of the fairway, etc etc?

TIA. BWerthy

• craigswan
    30,983 Posts
    Thu, Dec 14 2023 7:07 AM
    The wind comes from the north sea . Firth of forth and the firth of tay . St andrews has water on 3 sides . Depends on the day really . Could be from north , south , east or west .
  • BWerthy
    1,009 Posts
    Thu, Dec 14 2023 2:05 PM

Womp womp 

• GreenLaser
    176 Posts
    Thu, Dec 14 2023 10:27 PM

I don't have a comment about the wind, but I always try to land my tee shot on the far right side of the fairway on that hole. That makes it easier for me to land my approach shot on the flatter part of the green. More margin of error for me playing the hole that way.

• BWerthy
    1,009 Posts
    Fri, Dec 15 2023 8:04 PM

GreenLaser:

I don't have a comment about the wind, but I always try to land my tee shot on the far right side of the fairway on that hole. That makes it easier for me to land my approach shot on the flatter part of the green. More margin of error for me playing the hole that way.

That's what I usually do as well but the ball can run away from the hole if I'm not careful. I am also beginning to think the wind playing from the right behind the buildings only causes the ball to move directionally but not impact the distance. This hole has thrown me a couple times especially recently so I just was looking to see what others do there

• BlackBogey
    276 Posts
    Fri, Jan 19 2024 4:28 AM

I'm far from your level BWerthy, but that hole never seems to be overly difficult for me for whatever reason.  I also try to drive up right side of fairway, then just play a little farther right than normal on approach and let the slope work it down towards the pin.  And make sure to keep an eye on the spin obviously so it doesn't come down into the false front.

My hole that aways gets me on StA is the Par 5 on the front (Hole 5) when the pin is middle-left just over that ridge.  I have found no good way to get one close if going for it in 2, even with a mid iron and FBS.  If I play at the pin and it invariably shoots 60+ feet past, or try to run it up and over that slope in front of the pin and it always bites and leaves a nasty up then down side-hiller.  About the best I've come up is play it plenty far right of the pin where its flatter and just be happy with a 25-30 foot putt.

• BWerthy
    1,009 Posts
    Fri, Feb 2 2024 9:48 AM

BlackBogey:

My hole that aways gets me on StA is the Par 5 on the front (Hole 5) when the pin is middle-left just over that ridge.  I have found no good way to get one close if going for it in 2, even with a mid iron and FBS.  If I play at the pin and it invariably shoots 60+ feet past, or try to run it up and over that slope in front of the pin and it always bites and leaves a nasty up then down side-hiller.  About the best I've come up is play it plenty far right of the pin where its flatter and just be happy with a 25-30 foot putt.

Your approach to 18 is how I do it.  In high winds tho I’ve had some inconsistencies but I had a club mate tell me how to improve and it starts with getting the aiming grid to return to normal.  Then you can gauge the wind better. 

On hole 5 I can help you there. Pull the flag back towards that hump before the hole.  I always measure my distance to the middle of that hill, it should hit the slope which slows it down and reduces the risk of flying the ball over and landing on the downslope kicking the ball 20 yards past the hole. and sometimes it does stop short but more often than not I’m within 4 yards of the hole.  The slope tends to kick the ball to the right a little leaving a downhill breaking putt to the right instead of a double breaking putt from the center of the green

hope you get more eagles there!

• BlackBogey
    276 Posts
    Fri, Feb 2 2024 11:10 AM

BWerthy:

BlackBogey:

Your approach to 18 is how I do it.  In high winds tho I’ve had some inconsistencies but I had a club mate tell me how to improve and it starts with getting the aiming grid to return to normal.  Then you can gauge the wind better. 

On hole 5 I can help you there. Pull the flag back towards that hump before the hole.  I always measure my distance to the middle of that hill, it should hit the slope which slows it down and reduces the risk of flying the ball over and landing on the downslope kicking the ball 20 yards past the hole. and sometimes it does stop short but more often than not I’m within 4 yards of the hole.  The slope tends to kick the ball to the right a little leaving a downhill breaking putt to the right instead of a double breaking putt from the center of the green

hope you get more eagles there!

Thanks for the advice BWerthy.  I asked in my club's Discord shortly after posting this and one of our Tour Champs replied.  His suggestion was identical to yours.  Calculate yardage about 1/2 way up the hill and almost to the left fringe, let the hill deaden it and it will usually bounce right when going up and over the slope.  Went to practice it a few times but never am able to get the correct pin, it always gives me the front left one now, lol.

RSS