Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Taylormade TP5

Thu, Sep 21 2023 10:08 AM (7 replies)
  • JuanMendoza
    469 Posts
    Wed, Sep 20 2023 4:15 AM

I won some of these in a tournament, been using them for a few weeks now. Am I the only one who has trouble with these? Distances vary wildly and the meter is fast and jaggy. I'm starting to think they are "trap" balls, good for nothing.

• SimonTheBeetle
    3,511 Posts
    Wed, Sep 20 2023 1:12 PM

There are various versions of TP5 balls. What I can tell you from my experience with the L81 ones is that they're very consistent and reliable, certainly not "trap balls" so to speak.

I suggest you check again your formula (calculation) and mapping.

• TopShelf2010
    10,881 Posts
    Wed, Sep 20 2023 4:11 PM

I recall, a few years back, there was an issue with Level 55 Callaway Soft Chrome balls with vapor trail I believe. I have not heard of an issue with the Taylormade TP5.

Could your apparel be causing an issue? Do you always use the same apparel?

• JuanMendoza
    469 Posts
    Wed, Sep 20 2023 4:41 PM

Yes, always.

• BlackBogey
    284 Posts
    Thu, Sep 21 2023 4:04 AM

Since you say TP5, (and not TP5X), and you won them in a tournament, I'm assuming you are talking about the L47s?  If so, they have what I call a "negative distance to spin ratio", ie. lower distance specs (3.5) compared to spin (4.0).  I personally always struggle with distance control with any ball that has a negative or even neutral "distance to spin ratio".  For example, I have no issues with TP5X L48, L61, or L81 (all with positive distance/spin ratio), but struggle with the TP5 L47, L60, and L80 (all with negative distance/spin ratio). 

Spin is affected more by wind (or maybe it's the other way around?), so in even a moderate wind you are going to have more difficulty predicting distance/direction control with a ball with more spin.  A ball with more spin than distance is going to be affected more by a head or side wind than a ball with more distance than spin.

No clue about the meter jerkiness, should not have any effect since they (L47/L48) are the same meter specs.

• GreenLaser
    178 Posts
    Thu, Sep 21 2023 4:09 AM

JuanMendoza:

I won some of these in a tournament, been using them for a few weeks now. Am I the only one who has trouble with these? Distances vary wildly and the meter is fast and jaggy. I'm starting to think they are "trap" balls, good for nothing.

If you're talking about the L47 TaylorMade TP5 balls, I don't play very well with those for some reason. I have many of those I got from the Showdowns. The 400 credit balls I like better are the L51 Volvik and L48 TaylorMade.

I agree with Simon about the L81 TaylorMade, and I like the L61 TaylorMade about as well as the L81.  Those are two of my favorites, but I haven't really tried balls more expensive than those.

• borntobesting
    9,628 Posts
    Thu, Sep 21 2023 10:05 AM

They take a little dialing in so to speak but I find them very reliable,

• borntobesting
    9,628 Posts
    Thu, Sep 21 2023 10:08 AM

JuanMendoza:

Yes, always.

Remember apparel only works in certain games modes.

RSS