Forums

Help › Forums

Re: upgrading clubs

rated by 0 users
Fri, Aug 4 2023 12:40 AM (6 replies)
  • Golfergag
    4 Posts
    Tue, Aug 1 2023 9:12 PM

just got promoted to tour master and find myself having trouble reachjing a lot of par 4s from the further back tees. What should be my next club upgrades?

• beerstine
    671 Posts
    Tue, Aug 1 2023 11:32 PM

If your drives aren't making it to the fairway, the TaylorMade L74 driver is your best bet to gain distance.  

I'm not sure why you bought the L69 Pings, the meter speed on those is horrible without expensive slow meter balls.  The L59 Pings were more reasonable.  You might be missing because you can't control the meter speed.  The Ben Hogan set at L75 also gives more distance.

• BlackBogey
    284 Posts
    Wed, Aug 2 2023 3:27 AM

Over to the right ->->-> in the Search box type in ScottHope Equipment Tables.  Best tool available when planning out purchases.  (for the life of me can't figure out why its not pinned right at the top of the equipment page).

More directly to your question...

If you have an affinity for Ping, hang in there for the L81 driver and L83 irons. They can both carry you through into Legend.  I know it seems like a long way off, but you continue to level up rather quickly until you reach the upper 80s/lower 90s.

Occasionally WGT will offer a "Bundle" deal on the L81/83 Pings or the L90 Taylormades that you can buy even before you reach those levels.  These are both pretty good deals and if you happen to see one of them pop up I would go for one of those.  When I reached somewhere around L84 I was offered the 90 Taylormades and still use them as a Legend.  I'm not great by any means but can hold my own with these and a better ball.

Speaking of the ball, you can get some meter speed and distance help with these highly regarded balls (in order from cheapest to more expensive):

L13 Srixon/ L33 Callaway/ L35 Callaway/ L47-48 TM/ L51 Volvik/ L60-61 TM

Just remember to plan purchases and credit savings carefully.  If you think the Tour Master tees are trying, just wait until you move to Legend, lol.

• Golfergag
    4 Posts
    Wed, Aug 2 2023 10:21 AM

appreciate it ty!

• Golfergag
    4 Posts
    Wed, Aug 2 2023 10:22 AM

appreciate it thankyou!

• Squatch031
    174 Posts
    Wed, Aug 2 2023 1:43 PM

I feel your pain and have posted suggestions/complaints regarding equipment.  An individual can remain at lower tiers (eg Master, Tour Pro etc.) and progress in levels to a point where they can get the best equipment.  In other words, you could remain at Master tier, progress to say level 105, and still hit from the shorter tees.  Big flaw in WGT handicap system in my opinion.  I personally believe ALL equipment should be available to ALL players.  Given that WGT is all about money, I would figure they would be all over this in an effort to increase sales.  I also struggled a little with much longer approach shots when I hit the Legend tier but am getting used to it after a couple of months of practice.  Only three more levels until I will be able to acquire the equipment I desire.  Of course then there is more time spend getting used to new club distances.

• bossbird
    2,195 Posts
    Fri, Aug 4 2023 12:40 AM

WGT do it their way , to encourage the purchase of clubs when you are improving so you buy clubs 2 or 3 times , not just once. It’s a better business model to have regular income than just a one off . In addition it knows you will start to buy better balls to make up the shortfall , until you get the best clubs , then you will continue to buy balls . Most people buy balls but not everyone , see craigswan .

RSS