Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Iron clubs advice

Fri, Sep 8 2023 4:32 PM (14 replies)
  • PAGES
  • beerstine
    701 Posts
    Wed, Sep 6 2023 4:32 PM

I see you bought irons already, you can play those Pings up to the endgame sets at L97-100, no need to buy more for awhile.  Your driver is recent enough that you can wait until the L90s before thinking of a new one.

Concentrate on the wedges, the 64 degree Vokey at L80 is a must have club.  The 60 and 56 degree Vokeys are far better than your low level clubs.  Think about ditching the hybrid and getting a better 3 wood when the budget allows.

• GreenLaser
    197 Posts
    Thu, Sep 7 2023 3:28 PM

I don't know if I'd say the L80 Vokey is the only choice as a must have club, but one of the top three 64° wedges is a must have eventually.  I have the L80 Vokey, L89 TaylorMade, and L91 MAX Meter in my inventory and do about equally well with any of those. I've tended to play balls with fast meters, so I've favored clubs with slower meters and use the MAX Meter.  The TaylorMade and MAX Meter are cheaper if budget is an issue, but they're not available at the level the OP is at now.  Some people seem to really like the MAX Spin wedges which are inexpensive but the meter is fairly quick and forgiveness is fairly low. Not sure how well I'd do with those. But they are cheap.

Good advice about the hybrid and 3-wood.

• GreenLaser
    197 Posts
    Fri, Sep 8 2023 5:34 AM

Curiosity got to me, and I bought the 64° MAX Spin wedge.  First impressions are that it's a pretty good club.  The meter is faster than I like, for sure, but it didn't bother me as much as I expected it to. In the past I had used the L8 64° Cleveland wedge which also has a 3.0 meter (with higher forgiveness) and I never felt very comfortable with that club. The MAX Spin felt pretty good from the start.  I still use the starter balls to get the "hole out from off the green" daily goals, so maybe that has improved my timing.  Managing the spin I think would be the key to getting good with the MAX Spin wedge. You can get a huge amount of backspin with this wedge--stopping the starter ball even on 12.0 greens was no problem.  Full backspin can produce comical results sometimes. On the other hand, you don't get much extra yardage with full topspin.  Missing the ding by a little didn't seem to hurt accuracy too much, I suppose because the shots are fairly short with the 64°.  I tried it in fairly high wind conditions and it still wasn't bad.  I wonder about the other MAX Spin wedges and if missing the ding might be more of a problem with those and if it is more of a problem whether that could be managed by manipulating the spin.  I'm not curious enough to buy them to find out, but I do think the MAX Spin 64° is probably the 64° to get if someone is looking for a really cheap one, especially if the person is going to use the starter ball or other low spin balls.

• SamSpayed
    4,953 Posts
    Fri, Sep 8 2023 9:07 AM

GreenLaser:
    Curiosity got to me, and I bought the 64° MAX Spin wedge.  First impressions are that it's a pretty good club.

What I have observed is that wedges, like putters, are very much an individual choice.  You have to play with all of them to see which ones fit your game best.  

• beerstine
    701 Posts
    Fri, Sep 8 2023 4:32 PM

I have the Max Meter wedge as well, just to try the 100-75-50 wedge gapping configuration. It's OK but the spin on the Vokey is superior and has the advantage of hitting all the short game shots longer distances.  Punching from 50 is good and decent down to about 30-35 yards with practice.

OP hadn't reached the level to buy the top TM, Max or Callaway wedges yet so I recommended the best available to him.

• PAGES
RSS