Help › Forums

Re: PCEA Account security issue?

rated by 0 users
Mon, Nov 23 2020 10:30 AM (2 replies)
  • dedBuNNy
    1,919 Posts
    Mon, Nov 23 2020 9:06 AM

So here's the scenario.

I updated my password to my account, on the website. It was due.

I logged in the Mac app version of the game in order to make sure I could login and assuming that because I have a new password it would require it.

It did not and took me right into the game. Even after watching the 'updating account' log scroll by as it went though startup.

I was not logged into WGT on any browser, they were closed. I even fired them up and logged out of FF, Safari wasn't even setup with the new password entered in.

In the game I went into the Proshop and selected a club to purchase. It redirected me right into the 'Purchase Credit' section of the website, on safari  which I had not as yet logged into with the new password. So I was now in my WGT account page in Safari without having entered the new password, apparently.

Not concerned about anything to do with the information on the site and being able to exploit anything to do with credits and the account. Just more that the account security update protocols as of yet don't appear to be used in the EA of the game, well the Mac app anyway.

Updating or logging into the website doesn't affect the game, on a Mac anyway. If the game is updating player profile info it should catch that the password has been changed and require the new one be entered to login and play.

Just thought I'd throw this up, see if anyone has noticed this on the PC install. I can't verify the Steam version as I'm not using it anymore.

• MarchieB
    1,526 Posts
    Mon, Nov 23 2020 9:52 AM

if you Sign Out of the PCEA or Mobile Apps (done through the Options menu) rather than just hitting the Exit button or closing the Apps window (which does not log you out) then it would have required the new password.

Yes in theory, if you changed your password it should require you to Sign In with the new password before proceeding. So maybe that is something that WGT Dev's could look at changing.

But realize too, that if you are not properly Signing Out each and every time you finish playing then you are leaving yourself open to anyone who has access to your PC/Mac/Mobile to have full control of your account simply by reopening the App. And this was the same with the Flash version too.

• dedBuNNy
    1,919 Posts
    Mon, Nov 23 2020 10:30 AM

Yep, that's correct for sure, if you just close the game, you're not logging out.

If you use the main launcher app to start the game it initiates the update profile function as can be seen in the log. If you use the golf app it doesn't do any of that.

I suspect it's just something they haven't gotten around to, or may not know it's not syncing properly with the database.

RSS