Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Virtual Caddie

rated by 0 users
Fri, Jul 17 2020 7:40 AM (4 replies)
  • Wutpa
    4,803 Posts
    Thu, Jul 16 2020 2:13 PM

When I played the flash version I eventually turned the virtual caddie/caddy off after one too many times when I accidentally played a chip with my third wedge instead of a pitch with my first one, because that's what the caddie gave me and I didn't notice it since the distances were the same.

I just had the same thing happen in PCEA and now I want to remove the caddie there too and make my own club and shot choices each time, but for the life of me I can't find where to do it. I would have sworn I'd seen it somewhere at some point in my exploration of the settings, but if I did then I've subsequently lost it.

Does anyone know if the virtual caddie can be deselected, and if so where do I do that?

Thanks,

Nigel.

• MarchieB
    1,526 Posts
    Thu, Jul 16 2020 3:06 PM

There is no setting in the Options to turn it off.  How does that even work in Flash when it’s turned off?? Assuming you hit your Driver off the tee, what club is selected when you get to the fairway? is it still your driver? And once you get to green, you have to select your putter? 
    If it was truly off that would mean that your previous club is alway still current on the next shot and you have to select the appropriate club for each shot.
    How many times in a round is the auto caddy “wrong” ?  
    I know I’ve been burned a few times by the putter being set to a different increment than I thought it was but that has only made me conscience of now check it before I hit each putt.

• Wutpa
    4,803 Posts
    Thu, Jul 16 2020 7:50 PM

MarchieB:

There is no setting in the Options to turn it off.  How does that even work in Flash when it’s turned off?? Assuming you hit your Driver off the tee, what club is selected when you get to the fairway? is it still your driver? And once you get to green, you have to select your putter? 
    If it was truly off that would mean that your previous club is alway still current on the next shot and you have to select the appropriate club for each shot.
    I know I’ve been burned a few times by the putter being set to a different increment than I thought it was but that has only made me conscience of now check it before I hit each putt.

When you turn it off in flash it means you have to make your own club selection for each shot, and there is no club selected for you.

It's never really been a problem for me off the tee or from the fairway, but the shots around the green with a wedge? Definitely. It chooses chip all the time and never pitch or flop, and will suggest I chip from 30+ yards out with a 56W rather than flop with the 60W and so on.

What consistently fools me is that the pitch shot with my 64W goes 14 yards, which is the same as the chip with the 60W, so when the caddie selects the chip shot for me (although I want to pitch) I don't initially notice it's the wrong club and shot choice because I just see 14 yards.

It's my fault for not paying close enough attention of course, especially knowing that the caddie makes some bizarre suggestions when close to the green. But that's why I turned the auto-caddie thing off, so that it would force me to make my own choices each time.

But now I play PCEA and once again I got burned as my pitch of 12 yards from the fringe ended up skittering 19 yards across the green because it was actually a chip with practically no spin.

• MarchieB
    1,526 Posts
    Fri, Jul 17 2020 6:50 AM

Wutpa:
    When you turn it off in flash it means you have to make your own club selection for each shot, and there is no club selected for you.

OK that makes more sense than what I was thinking. Unfortunately this is not an option on the PCEA or Mobile versions right now. 😢

• DonCaron
    5,502 Posts
    Fri, Jul 17 2020 7:40 AM

MarchieB:

You select your ow club. Got to watch that wheel though,

I have a game Mouse and have the wheel deactivated

RSS