Forums

Help › Forums

Re: A Handicap Helper (or not) ...

rated by 0 users
Fri, Apr 10 2020 11:25 PM (6 replies)
  • JohntheBruin
    29 Posts
    Wed, Apr 8 2020 12:56 PM

Let's say your average is 60.00, and your CC sets up a custom course called a "Handicap Helper."

Let's say you shoot three rounds of 27 on that custom built "Handicap Helper" course.  Would the player expect their handicap to lower?  Would there be any explanation why that player wouldn't see a lowered average after each successive 27?

I ask this only because I have never built a custom course and I have no knowledge of the backend settings.  I have no idea whether a designer can limit who (perhaps based on Tier) receives a boost based on a good score.  I'm simply looking for a clear explanation how this could work (or not work).

• Dave33200
    2,935 Posts
    Wed, Apr 8 2020 7:52 PM

Custom courses do not count towards your average.

So no, the player would not see his, or hers average go down after playing a custom course. 

• Tony08888
    568 Posts
    Fri, Apr 10 2020 12:42 PM

John, what do you mean by custom course?

Dave is correct that a “custom course” will not effect your average or stats.

Your CC can customize a normal course by adjusting wind speed, tee positions, green speed, and flag placement to all easy settings. These modifications/customizations will help improve your average and stats if you are scoring well. Also, the nine hole score is doubled to an 18 hole score for average purposes. So the 27 is a 54.

Hope this helps.

edit: just read your last paragraph. What Dave said.

• JohntheBruin
    29 Posts
    Fri, Apr 10 2020 1:25 PM

Yeah - the problem I was articulating, as I've found out, had nothing to do with the setup.  It was all about the title of my Country Club track.  My Country Club setup up a course called a "Handicap Helper."  They've done this before, and almost all of the time, it did indeed help lower averages.

The issue with this one was - although named "Handicap Helper" - it was a custom built course (holes from a variety of courses with easy tees and wind).  Well, you can't name that "Handicap Helper" because customer courses do not produce boosts to averages.  A Handicap Helper needs to be a setup on a single course with tee/wind adjustments. So it was all about the name (not the setup).

So my 3 27's, nice as they were, were all for naught.  Not on that custom setup.

• Dave33200
    2,935 Posts
    Fri, Apr 10 2020 4:16 PM

Also the BOP3, BOP5 do not count either.

I'm not sure on the BOP4. 

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Fri, Apr 10 2020 4:28 PM

JohntheBruin:
    Well, you can't name that "Handicap Helper" because customer courses do not produce boosts to averages

You're confusing two scenarios, it has nothing to do with the name. As pointed out above, a custom course, one designed by whoever, DOES NOT affect the average.

OTOH, you can set up any combination of conditions on a stock course and IT WILL affect the average. This is typically where "Red Tee" whatevers come from. Clubs will set up stupid easy red tee tournaments and players pound on it to get that average down. 

Basically, changing just the conditions-tees, wind, greens-on any of the WGT courses still counts towards your average.  :-)

• alosso
    21,043 Posts
    Fri, Apr 10 2020 11:25 PM

YankeeJim:
    on any of the WGT courses
    <beep>

...except BOP3, BOP5 (kudos to David) and Bandon Par3...

BOP4 is counting in though.

John's CC's "Cheers to All Handicap Helper" is in fact a CC Custom Course - NOT a helper towards the average.

RSS