Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Another tier level... "Pro-Am Tier"

rated by 0 users
Sat, Oct 31 2009 4:00 AM (1 replies)
  • Hamilton81
    1 Posts
    Fri, Oct 30 2009 11:47 PM

Well, I thought I'd step in here with my first post and try to contribute something constructive to this community so here goes...

I have totally been sucked into the simulation of this game... I've finally found out what the "beast" is and I love the fact that you have to carefully plan every shot, knowing that it's safer to aim for the large patch of green because it's possible to bunk your shot which leaves you alot of work to do...  You have to construct a game plan based on your avatars equipment and your abilities... 

On that note, after turning pro after just a couple days and seeing the top scores posted in the pro level tournaments, it's very very difficult to compete against anyone with the pro+ gear and I believe there are many people who are stuck in a competition limbo around the area between amateur and pro...  I was thinking why not cater to an another group level of "up and coming" individuals who aren't just quite there yet.

Was thinking something like:

- Once you pass Amateur status, you have the option to go Pro-Am or go straight to Pro(If you're ready to purchase better gear off the bat with out an attempt to earn it).

- Pro-Am cannot take advantage of the pro+ gear, only basic amateur stuff.

- Have the Pro-Am score range overlap Pro by a few strokes, so Pros who are not doing so well and are within that bracket may have the option to step down to the Pro-Am tier, with the handicap knowing they cannot use Pro+ gear.

- Limit the Pro-Am to Pro swap(and vice versa) to each tournament set, if you choose to play that tournament in the Pro-Am tier, you cannot compete in the Pro tier.

I think another stepping stone for people who'd like to try and work hard for their gear who are not ready for pro yet would be beneficial, I know jumping right into Pro from amateur felt like a pretty big step, you have a very limited chance to compete and maybe earn something after reaching the pro hurdle without throwing down cash, and people like having the possibility to make the jump from having decent skills without being in the elite group... I'm not sure if WGT uses tier averages similar to RL or not, but if not, I think this would be a great addition...

I though this might be something good for the community?? Your thoughts?

I can't wait for shot shaping and lie angle!  Great simulation!

My 2 cents, thanks and Good luck. (phew, that took a while)

• Joeyola
    1,210 Posts
    Sat, Oct 31 2009 4:00 AM

Welcome, good to have you aboard.  Be careful or you might get hooked on this game (smile).

As to your post, there are improvements needed in our quasi handicap system and it is important to know how the tier system works so you can survive around here.  In a real handicap index, players who are an 18 can compete right along side a 7 and both have an equal chance to win.  Now, for example, take our Pro Tier...all players participate against one another, whether you are at the high end of that division, hence not as competitive, or close to becoming a Master...and unlike a true handicap index, there are no allowances for the large gap in scoring averages.  This can be frustrating, but it can also give you the motivation to get better.      

The good news, and I have only been here since May, is there have been lots of changes...and some even for the better (0;\  Many changes, I am sure, have come at the behest of people like you who make your thoughts known...that is what these forums are all about.    

Who knows, maybe someday we will have some true handicap competitions...that is, where any player can play against any other player and actually have a chance to win (wink).  For now, it is what it is...as always, the guys who know their way around are the ones who win and more power to them.

Have fun and enjoy your stay.

Joey

RSS