Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Downwind driving

rated by 0 users
Sun, Jun 12 2011 5:15 AM (5 replies)
  • fatboymonty
    15 Posts
    Sat, Jun 11 2011 5:39 AM

What's the best way to maximise downwind distance?  top spin to maximise roll on landing, or backspin so that it goes higher and gets carried by the wind more?

• WGTicon
    12,511 Posts
    Sat, Jun 11 2011 12:11 PM

fatboymonty:

What's the best way to maximise downwind distance?  top spin to maximise roll on landing, or backspin so that it goes higher and gets carried by the wind more?

I think it depends on the coursel. on STA I always always use ts but if the hole has alot of bunkers, i may use BS to carry it.  For me, there is no specific rule for any hole/course.

-wgticon

• SGTBilko
    1,686 Posts
    Sat, Jun 11 2011 1:07 PM

Icon is right, it really depends on the hole. There are holes where a top spin to the ball is advantageous. Others will cost you dearly because you need the arch of the ball to get over a hill or bunker.

• PugsAce
    1,825 Posts
    Sat, Jun 11 2011 1:32 PM

Yep.

Experience with one's own carry distance (each club and ball combination), as well as course familiarity, are the best teachers.

GL :)

• fatboymonty
    15 Posts
    Sun, Jun 12 2011 5:13 AM

thanks for the answers guys.  Understand that best shot depends on all circumstances.  but assume deadflat fairway with no traps or hazards and wind behind.  Which goes further-  drive with top spin (so, I assume, more roll on the ground) or drive with back spin (so, i assume, more air time)?

• fatboymonty
    15 Posts
    Sun, Jun 12 2011 5:15 AM

doing some research, is see there is a similar discussion here:

http://wgt.com/forums/p/16153/96996.aspx#96996

RSS