Help › Forums

Re: Conquering the Master tier....

rated by 0 users
Wed, Jun 1 2011 8:07 PM (8 replies)
  • victorypark
    8 Posts
    Mon, May 30 2011 8:41 PM

Howdy all.

Having recently advanced to the Master tier I have suddenly struggled massively with my game to the extent of struggling to make par on a lot of the holes.  I am still using the better balls etc and my clubs are still the same.

Can anyone shed some light on (besides practice), the best way to negotiate through the Master tier.

Obviously the holes are a lot longer.  Any suggestions re: equipment changes???  This is where I am thinking I need to make changes as I am pulling up short at a lot of holes and really struggling to give myself a chance to make a birdie.

Many thanks once again.

Ashley.

• zagraniczniak
    1,984 Posts
    Tue, May 31 2011 10:00 AM

Your equipment looks pretty good, if you are comfortable with the swing speeds etc. However, you'll score better if you take advantage of the chance to get more distance off the tee, meaning that you could replace the 260-yard driver with the 275-yard R9 9.5. Also, that starter hybrid is just taking up space in your bag. You should ditch it for a nice third wedge.

• spanky3x
    6 Posts
    Tue, May 31 2011 2:30 PM

when does one become a "master"? at what level? or is it your average?

• Mosales
    52 Posts
    Tue, May 31 2011 4:13 PM

victorypark:

Howdy all.

Having recently advanced to the Master tier I have suddenly struggled massively with my game to the extent of struggling to make par on a lot of the holes.  I am still using the better balls etc and my clubs are still the same.

Can anyone shed some light on (besides practice), the best way to negotiate through the Master tier.

Obviously the holes are a lot longer.  Any suggestions re: equipment changes???  This is where I am thinking I need to make changes as I am pulling up short at a lot of holes and really struggling to give myself a chance to make a birdie.

Many thanks once again.

Ashley.

Ashley,

Congrats on making Master. I struggled and still do at times. I suggest as stated before get rid of the starter 3h and add a 3rd wedge 54*. I also have the G10 8* driver and average about 280 with callaway balls. The trick is in the med to long irons you have to hit them pure to score ( assuming that like most a 4' putt is much better than a 12'

good luck

Mosales

• Parteeeagle
    16 Posts
    Tue, May 31 2011 5:18 PM

hi ive been at master tee for a few weeks now it is a bit harder more so on windy courses, the longer approaches in wind are a lot harder to manage a straight line , ther are a few things u can do to reduce the margin of error.

1. get the longest hitting driver and wood , and use slower swinging irons on windy courses, if u do this u need a hybrid for 210 yrd shots and only can carry 2 wedges

2.get a set of medium or med-high trajectory irons to reduce left to right movement in the wind, no hybrid and 3 wegdes to make any approach spot on

3.change ur game style Ie. if u like to roll up to holes mybe try a high shot that lands and limit roll - or the oppisite and try land 5 yrds short with some top spin and roll to the hole.

the game gets more technical at master and above as the long distances to the holes, you are now shooting par 3's from 200 -210 yrds ect. the green speeds are faster so ur ball dosnt stop as fast as it used to all the little things add up, to make a challenging game 

• victorypark
    8 Posts
    Wed, Jun 1 2011 2:29 AM

Thank u all kindly for your feedback. Obviously practice is the key but I was just after those few basic tips.  

Looks like I will throw the Hybrid in the drink....so if U see one floating she's all yours.  Then buy myself a new driver and wedge etc, maybe an iron set as well. t this level I might just see it out a little further until I qualify for some high end clubs.

Cheers all and happy golfing.

Ash.

• RickBarenes
    215 Posts
    Wed, Jun 1 2011 1:37 PM

I think no doubt that the burner clubs they just came out with is a must have in the bag.

• suncity28
    1,266 Posts
    Wed, Jun 1 2011 2:09 PM

I was having a look at your profile mate.

28% 1 putt putting average that is the answer to everything on this game , from scoring low & winning tournaments.

Only advice is to work on lifting that % with putting & you should start to see some good results with scores.

The best way to practice putting start practice rounds. If you miss a putt turn around hit it back to the same spot & try again & again if it takes 10 shots so be it until you make the putt , next time you are on that green you have a good idea where to aim. Practice rounds does not count towards your average so that is the best way to learn. spend 1 solid week on putting & speed & master tier will come & go in a flash.

In regards to clubs any1 can have the best clubs going around , does not mean much if you hit every shot inside 10ft & can not make putts. Same on the real cause if you no how to putt good scores will follow 

Regards 

• JAMESBALDINI
    266 Posts
    Wed, Jun 1 2011 8:07 PM

get the ping g10 driver and ping g10 irons great combination

james

RSS