Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Chunkers

rated by 0 users
Mon, Sep 28 2009 4:45 PM (8 replies)
  • DJCue
    13 Posts
    Sun, Sep 13 2009 12:14 PM

Hi, just wondering if anyone can give me some insight here. 15Y from flag...about 2 yards off in rough of 30-40% ... the club selected goes 18y...so I hit it at 90%, is downhill to flag...meter is perfect...and it goes 1 foot?

• Soulcatcher
    1,970 Posts
    Sun, Sep 13 2009 12:38 PM

You were probably on chip.  

• DJCue
    13 Posts
    Sun, Sep 13 2009 12:57 PM

OK, but even if I was on chip...how does it go 1 foot? Even a chip at that distance should pop out at least a few yards before it lands...not 12 inches, no?

• Soulcatcher
    1,970 Posts
    Sun, Sep 13 2009 1:02 PM

No. Short chips will only go about 2 feet and then land. If the ball touches rough on a chip shot it stops dead.

There are some great chipping and pitching tutorials here if you use the search function.

Much better players than me give you tutorials of how and when to use each shot. It helps alot.

*edit*  I just checked your profile and I guess you know this stuff already..........could be the 'beast' then.

• DJCue
    13 Posts
    Sun, Sep 13 2009 1:08 PM

ok, tks bud.

• Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Sun, Sep 13 2009 4:06 PM

Should have been a pitch, not chip, from that distance off the edge of the green. But the rough behaves inconsistently between holes, too. I just played Bethpage, back 9, and landed in a similar situation to what DJCue describes, on two holes: hole 15 & hole 17. Except it was 40-50% rough. I hit the exact same shot on both occasions, and both of the shots were failures, but in exactly opposite ways. I pitched the ball on both occasions, making sure to upgrade the club. On hole 15, that was enough to transfer the ball to the very edge of the rough, but not onto the green. On hole 17, the same shot resulted in the ball flying across most of the green, ensuring a bogey for me.  

In the situation described by DJCue, I would have pitched, not chipped, would have selected a club of at least 22yd advertized distance, and hit it at about 80 to 90%. (But that's just my idea, and as I've just said, I bungle these types of shots.)

• JeffGooch
    263 Posts
    Sun, Sep 13 2009 7:37 PM

the only chips i've had sucess with are from the fringe and downhill...and most have been full power or close to it....i havent experimented with different clubs on the Chip setting...i do agree Chip is a bit touchy

• TarheelsRule
    5,478 Posts
    Mon, Sep 28 2009 4:01 PM

I never use a chip, the pitch or flop works much better.

• cjfelton
    79 Posts
    Mon, Sep 28 2009 4:45 PM

Forget the chip unless you are in the first cut or slightly into the second, and in my opinion the pitch or flop is a much better option for any shot of 18 yards or longer.  The flop is an amazingly good shot once you learn how far left to aim - it is quite a bit .  I use this often even when the height of the shot is not required.  It is also the secret to a consistent par on BPP #15.  I intentionally try to put my 2nd between the traps and short of the green in the 40-50% rough (unless I have a big drive) which will leave a perfect flop for your 3rd right below the hole and a putt with very manageable break.  Try it, you'll be sold.

A tip on the percentages, 20-25% rough in the first cut seldom affects distance at all.  But, 30-40% rough in the second cut requires 30% more power (ie: 10 yard shot = 13 yards), and 40-50% rough requires 40% more power.  These figures apply to longer iron shots also if you hit a full shot.

RSS