Help › Forums

Re: Bragging Rights ?

rated by 0 users
Wed, Sep 2 2009 1:26 AM (6 replies)
  • casique1
    370 Posts
    Tue, Sep 1 2009 6:35 AM

howdy

can someone please help me out of my ignorance ?

what does this means ?????

many thx !

• Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Tue, Sep 1 2009 6:38 AM

brag = prahlen in German

"Bragging rights" is a euphemism for "you can win nothing in this tournament, but you'll be entitled to be proud of your win". (And nothing more than that.)  

• casique1
    370 Posts
    Tue, Sep 1 2009 9:13 AM

thx faterson

now i know the facts,, but did still not understand the sence  ?????  :-)

• Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Tue, Sep 1 2009 9:19 AM

What exactly is it you don't understand?

I think bragging rights would be translated as Prahlrechte into German. (In the sense, Du hast das Recht zu prahlen, dass du dieses Turnier gewonnen hast, aber sonst bekommst du gar nichts für deine Mühe.)  

It's simply that for legal reasons, WGT can't (yet) give any prizes to participants in the monthly International Open tournaments, and in some CTTH challenges, so instead of prizes, the winners get "bragging rights".

• hbthree
    478 Posts
    Tue, Sep 1 2009 10:41 AM

The ability to share that one has performed well at some task or competition.

HBthree

• Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Tue, Sep 1 2009 10:47 AM

The dictionary-like precision of HBthree's reply inspired me to search further on Google, and I found Wikipedia includes its own entry on bragging rights (although in a stub state):

Wikipedia:

Bragging rights refers to an informal claim one can make to holding a certain position, such as a record or being the first at something. This is not an official title or status, but rather the ability to win an argument to holding the position.

Some people feel there is really no such thing as bragging rights.

• casique1
    370 Posts
    Wed, Sep 2 2009 1:26 AM

thx, i got it, but still thinking that " to bragg" in a tournament is ..... to be proud ok,,,, :-)

RSS